Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

Name : Joe
Merit : 2

Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Hello everyone, Im back! The Riv is still running strong, even though it fragged a tensioner pulley last week. I just did an oil change right at the 3000 mark, and it was pretty dark. I know that my valve covers are leaking, but up unt recently the amount has been negligible, and I can place the increase in fluid loss at the feet of the oil pan I ruined fixing the tensioner. Im replacing the pan asap, but what worries me is the lifter tap. It drives me mad! its definitely not an exhaust leak, and Ive already replaced the pcv. I wanted to know if
a. this is something to address immediately,
b. as an amateur mechanic can i perform this repair myself? the front cover looks easy, but from what i see/ read, the alternator needs to be off, and a bunch of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? EmptyThu May 02, 2013 8:30 am

Our engines are normally VERY quiet. The lifters are roller lifters. A valve tap is cause for concern, and should be investigated immediately. It could be due to damaged parts, like a rocker arm or bent/damaged push rod. You have to take a look. The noise is not caused by a leaking valve cover, unless you let the oil level get very low. Whatever you do, don't simply tighten down on a rocker adjustment. That can make things worse. Find out why you have clearance that is causing noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? EmptyThu May 02, 2013 9:44 am

Are you sure it is a lifter and not just a loud injector? Have you ruled out everything else that ticks with a stethescope?

Larry is right - normally these engines are very quiet, and no, a valve cover leak would not make any noise.
Back to top Go down
Green-irwinman
Amateur
Green-irwinman

Name : Joe
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? EmptyThu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

So if it is a damaged pushrod or rocker arm, the whole top of the motor would have to come apart right?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? EmptyThu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Before you pull the engine, be sure you use a mech's stethoscope with funnel attachment. I know you say it's definately not an exhaust leak, but until you sniff around with a scope, it's hard to say anything is definite. Just my 2 cents...

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?   Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does a seeping valve cover cause lifter ticking?
Page 1 of 1