Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? Empty
PostSubject: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:36 am

.... right away I'll say that I'll be taking the car into the shop again for some other minor work, and I'll ask their A/C guy about this very topic, but I thought I'd ping you all as well.

Succinctly, how much noise does your A/C compressor make when engaged and how much engine drag do you notice?

Most of the cars I've driven over the years, and certainly over the last 10+ years have been large V8s where the impact of engaging the A/C compressor is essentially unnoticeable by the driver. You don't hear it running and you don't feel it. It is true that if the radio is off, and maybe the window is down while sitting still or one is hovering over the running engine with the hood up... you may hear the "click" of the clutch engage and some compressor noise, but that's about it.

However, on my 95 I did have some concerns where I suspect the compressor is too noisy and drags too much.

I did initially have an issue where I could clearly hear the "slap"(not just a click) of the A/C compressor clutch inside the cabin after I replaced the clutch. I have addressed that though, and that is no longer a problem. You can read about that in the following thread, but in summary it was too large an air gap.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6120-write-up-ac-compressor-clutch-replacement

When I picked up the Riviera about a month ago, the A/C clutch was essentially rusted up, and the system was very low on R134. After replacing the clutch I had my local mechanic evacuate and recharge the system. It is blowing cold now, not freezing, but cold. And the clutch/compressor seeems to be cycling at a normal rate.

When I take the car back to the shop for some other checkup work in a few weeks, he'll be rechecking the A/C system for leaks, etc.

But the issues I now am concerned about are:

1) When the A/C compressor is engaged, I can hear it running from inside the cabin as a low, not loud but still audible "groan"/hum. Interestingly I don't notice this as much outside the car or with the hood up, but just inside the car. That seems odd. I don't think I've ever been able to hear any "humm" from an A/C compressor, whether outside or certainly inside the car.

2) When the A/C compressor engages, it noticeably drags the engine. It isn't extreme, but you definitely know the compressor has cycled on. I've never been able to "feel" an A/C compressor kick in while driving a car. This seems abnormal? Note that this is a 95, and the compressor type and configuration is different than Series II cars. I know this is only a V6, but it is a large V6, and I've never felt an A/C compressor kick in on something like our Honda Pilot which is a 3+ liter V6. And yes, the car is automatically adjusting RPM when the compressor engages. RPM does not drop, but I can feel the drag as vibration through the pedals and a slight loss of torque as if you let off the gas just slightly.

Thoughts? Bad or dying compressor perhaps? Hope not, but if so, so be it.

Just looking for more info to share with the mechanic when it goes back in.

Thanks,
Al
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:41 am

I don't hear the A/C compressor ever in my '98. I don't hear the clutch engage or notice the drop in engine speed. It's all original, never opened or recharged.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't hear it in mine either. I pretty much have to open the hood and look at the clutch (and feel the tubing by the firewall) to tell. Although you might not need a new/rebuilt compressor maybe you want one?!?
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks guys, may just be time for a new one.....
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyMon May 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Not only can I not hear the compressor running from in the car, I've done several MPG tests on long trips with the AC on/off and can not discern any drag on the engine's power or efficiency. It seems the 3800's torque output is large enough to run the AC without penalty.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
MarkSouza
Special

Name : MarkSouza
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 am

The A/C compressor in a car is a large and very draining machine, as is any air conditioner. It makes a lot of noise when running and may also cause additional strain on your engine. So if you have a smaller engine in your car, what you are hearing is likely a combination of the compressor itself and the engine having to work harder to keep you moving.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am

AA wrote:
Not only can I not hear the compressor running from in the car, I've done several MPG tests on long trips with the AC on/off and can not discern any drag on the engine's power or efficiency. It seems the 3800's torque output is large enough to run the AC without penalty.

An automotive A/C reference: https://www.vintageair.com/basic-auto-air-conditioning-compressor-facts/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?   Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag? Empty

Back to top Go down

Normal A/C Compressor noise and amount of engine drag?
Page 1 of 1