Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion

Go down 
+5
highwaywarrior
AA
albertj
matt270avian
Abaddon
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cryoburned
Rookie

Name : Jack
Merit : 0

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 3:45 am

Sorry to bring up threads from the dead, but we are close to Halloween..
It seems like there isn't a straight up post for it, but I could be wrong; You can convert the 95-96 Riviera brakes by switching to to 97+ knuckle and strut/spring assembly.

The 95-96 have the caliper bracket cast into the knuckle, so anything to fit would have to drop in to an existing bracket. You wouldn't be able to change the rotor diameter unless that caliper allowed clearance for it. That said, the 94-96 regal had dual piston front and rear brakes, and they don't seem to be too different in shape and design.

According to Rockauto, 95-99 Rivera rears were 281mm, and the rears of the Regal until 96 were 278mm, both coming out to 11 inches, give or take 1/10th on a inch. The 96 regal shows as having 11.25 inch front brakes, while the 95-96 riv are shown as having 278mm (10.94in), so basically a difference of 1/4 inch. I have a 94 regal I can take measurements on. The 94 is listed as having a 10.5in rotor, but the 94-96 are listed as having the same caliper, so who could say really. (Other than someone who has a 94 and 96 regal)

Also, I was looking for a 97 knuckle on car-part.com, and its interchange lists the same part for knuckles from a 2000 deville, 98,99, and 2000 seville, 97,98, and 99 aurora. The Riviera is on the G-Platform like the Aurora and Cadillac, so it wasn't too surprised to find that out, although I do not know if that info is correct
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 am

Will GXPs fit under stock wheels?

Are Fbods > GXPs in terms of track racing because race pads are available for frequent hard stops?

Trying to decide what I should be aiming for. I need to get them soon.
I see GXPs more often that Fbods for sale on forums.

I need braking power asap.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 am

charlieRobinson wrote:

No. They would not fit the 16's. My 17's bolted on with about 1/2" of clearance.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am

Abaddon wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:

No. They would not fit the 16's. My 17's bolted on with about 1/2" of clearance.

Dang! but we are sure the Fbodys will clear stock 16inchers?

Also, do we know the weight differences between the 2? I assume Fbods are lighter?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Not quite sure. The GXP calipers weigh next to nothing, both brackets are iron. With the GXP set, you get ~12.75" rotors. The weight difference I'm sure is minimal, although factory F-body calipers are heavier.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:31 pm

F-bodys fit just fine on stock wheels. They have a little bit of weight to them but they're close enough to the stock calipers that it's nothing noticeable. What I plan on doing is keeping the F-body setup up front and then try and make the rear GXP setup fit if I ever get around to buying it. Honestly, if you're on a budget the F-bodys are great. You can do the whole setup for under $150. I haven't seen a used set of GXPs for less than $200, and that doesn't include new pads and rotors. If money is no object just get a set of 18s and a set of CTS-V calipers.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/46217-The-Official-what-you-need-and-how-to-for-CTS-V-brakes

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/39174-The-Big-Bad-Brake-Thread
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not quite sure. The GXP calipers weigh next to nothing, both brackets are iron. With the GXP set, you get ~12.75" rotors. The weight difference I'm sure is minimal, although factory F-body calipers are heavier.

I thought Fbods were aluminium and lighter than anything iron?

matt270avian wrote:
F-bodys fit just fine on stock wheels. They have a little bit of weight to them but they're close enough to the stock calipers that it's nothing noticeable. What I plan on doing is keeping the F-body setup up front and then try and make the rear GXP setup fit if I ever get around to buying it. Honestly, if you're on a budget the F-bodys are great. You can do the whole setup for under $150. I haven't seen a used set of GXPs for less than $200, and that doesn't include new pads and rotors. If money is no object just get a set of 18s and a set of CTS-V calipers.

Entire Fbod for $150? calipers, rotors, pads, SS brake lines? How?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Calipers are $30-$50, reuse your existing rotors, pads are up to you, SS lines are $60.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Calipers are $30-$50, reuse your existing rotors, pads are up to you, SS lines are $60.

Dang, i didnt realize this was so low budget!

Where do you guys usually find calipers? at the junk yards?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 am

eBay, junk yard, wherever. Just find them cheap and make sure they come with brackets. If you really want to you could get new/refurbished ones for a little more. Personally I would just get used ones and buy a rebuild kit for next to nothing. As long as the pistons aren't rusty they're good to go.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Has anyone checked to see if the F-body calipers will bolt up to the GXP brackets? It might make a great alternative instead of drilling/tapping the F-body brackets. I'm assuming F-body pads won't fit on GXP brackets either, but maybe somebody who has access to both could check all this out.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Has anyone checked to see if the F-body calipers will bolt up to the GXP brackets? It might make a great alternative instead of drilling/tapping the F-body brackets. I'm assuming F-body pads won't fit on GXP brackets either, but maybe somebody who has access to both could check all this out.

Good question. If you aren't in a hurry, I can see if we have a Firebird caliper in stock, and then see if it will fit. I don't think that anything with those would be compatible though.

EDIT: Shoot me a reminder PM or a text if you don't hear back.....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm

No hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2