Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion

Go down 
+5
highwaywarrior
AA
albertj
matt270avian
Abaddon
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:31 pm

F-bodys fit just fine on stock wheels. They have a little bit of weight to them but they're close enough to the stock calipers that it's nothing noticeable. What I plan on doing is keeping the F-body setup up front and then try and make the rear GXP setup fit if I ever get around to buying it. Honestly, if you're on a budget the F-bodys are great. You can do the whole setup for under $150. I haven't seen a used set of GXPs for less than $200, and that doesn't include new pads and rotors. If money is no object just get a set of 18s and a set of CTS-V calipers.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/46217-The-Official-what-you-need-and-how-to-for-CTS-V-brakes

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/39174-The-Big-Bad-Brake-Thread
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not quite sure. The GXP calipers weigh next to nothing, both brackets are iron. With the GXP set, you get ~12.75" rotors. The weight difference I'm sure is minimal, although factory F-body calipers are heavier.

I thought Fbods were aluminium and lighter than anything iron?

matt270avian wrote:
F-bodys fit just fine on stock wheels. They have a little bit of weight to them but they're close enough to the stock calipers that it's nothing noticeable. What I plan on doing is keeping the F-body setup up front and then try and make the rear GXP setup fit if I ever get around to buying it. Honestly, if you're on a budget the F-bodys are great. You can do the whole setup for under $150. I haven't seen a used set of GXPs for less than $200, and that doesn't include new pads and rotors. If money is no object just get a set of 18s and a set of CTS-V calipers.

Entire Fbod for $150? calipers, rotors, pads, SS brake lines? How?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Calipers are $30-$50, reuse your existing rotors, pads are up to you, SS lines are $60.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Calipers are $30-$50, reuse your existing rotors, pads are up to you, SS lines are $60.

Dang, i didnt realize this was so low budget!

Where do you guys usually find calipers? at the junk yards?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 am

eBay, junk yard, wherever. Just find them cheap and make sure they come with brackets. If you really want to you could get new/refurbished ones for a little more. Personally I would just get used ones and buy a rebuild kit for next to nothing. As long as the pistons aren't rusty they're good to go.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Has anyone checked to see if the F-body calipers will bolt up to the GXP brackets? It might make a great alternative instead of drilling/tapping the F-body brackets. I'm assuming F-body pads won't fit on GXP brackets either, but maybe somebody who has access to both could check all this out.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Has anyone checked to see if the F-body calipers will bolt up to the GXP brackets? It might make a great alternative instead of drilling/tapping the F-body brackets. I'm assuming F-body pads won't fit on GXP brackets either, but maybe somebody who has access to both could check all this out.

Good question. If you aren't in a hurry, I can see if we have a Firebird caliper in stock, and then see if it will fit. I don't think that anything with those would be compatible though.

EDIT: Shoot me a reminder PM or a text if you don't hear back.....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm

No hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion   Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: GXP Brake Caliper + Rotor Conversion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2