Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

please help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
snowman8000
Amateur

Name : loren barnhart
Merit : 0

please help  Empty
PostSubject: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello everyone I have a 95 riveria supercharged and I have heard from someone that has a 99 riv that from 95 to 99 models had a problom with one wire in the main wireing harness that would break down when it got hot has any one else had a problom like that if so what is it I'm having some probloms with my riv and I would like to know it it may be related to the story that I have heard and also how rare is the 95 model supercharged dose anyone know how many we're made and how I can find out the number my car is thank you

Please I need info I went to start my car this morning it started just fine but for the first time the check engine light came on I diddent think much of it as I know the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced and I put it in drive and it acted like it had no power at all I shut the car off and re started it and the check engine light went off and it had power again WHAT COULD BE WRONG its a 95 buick riveria supercharged
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Possibly a loose, brittle or cracked wire in the engine harness, could have been a cracked vacuum line... Lots of possibilities. The good news is that if the check engine light was on, there will be a code stored in the computer's history. Anyone with an OBD-1.5 code reader can get the code for you. The bad news is that OBD-1.5 is kind of rare. Most cars had OBD-1 (pre-1995) or OBD-2 (or II, post-1996). Without the code there isn't much else we can tell you.

Also, the O2 sensor is one of the most mis-diagnosed parts. If the check engine light/computer isn't telling you it's a dud, it doesn't need to be replaced. That will keep the check engine light on as well. More likely that you have a vacuum leak or some other air leak on the intake side. (see above 1st sentence about possible vacuum leaks)
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak. Can anyone confirm?
Back to top Go down
snowman8000
Amateur

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Can any codes be pulled on it if the check engine light it off
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm

deekster wrote:
Possibly a loose, brittle or cracked wire in the engine harness, could have been a cracked vacuum line... Lots of possibilities. The good news is that if the check engine light was on, there will be a code stored in the computer's history. Anyone with an OBD-1.5 code reader can get the code for you. The bad news is that OBD-1.5 is kind of rare. Most cars had OBD-1 (pre-1995) or OBD-2 (or II, post-1996). Without the code there isn't much else we can tell you.

Also, the O2 sensor is one of the most mis-diagnosed parts. If the check engine light/computer isn't telling you it's a dud, it doesn't need to be replaced. That will keep the check engine light on as well. More likely that you have a vacuum leak or some other air leak on the intake side. (see above 1st sentence about possible vacuum leaks)
agree
Back to top Go down
snowman8000
Amateur

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Ok so a air intake leak or vacume leak could be causing loss of power like that

It also has died on me before at idle and wouldent start again till I let it sit for about 30 mins or so
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

please help  Empty
PostSubject: temp   please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I doubt it. You could try autozone, but I think the code is lost when the light goes off.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

As Deekster has worded so nicely, go and get the vehicle scanned. A Check Engine Light means there is a code stored in the PCM. Whether it's on now or not, there is a code stored. You need to have that code pulled before we can give you any type of REAL advice. Cars can, and will stop running for numerous problems. We can't tell you what's wrong with the car, or get you started in the right direction without a code.....
Back to top Go down
snowman8000
Amateur

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Ok thanks ill do that
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm

This thread, discussion starting page 6 and pictures on page 10 - but keep in mind this applies to '96-'99 and the Series II (not supercharged) 95s - the Series 1 has a different wiring harness but it's similar. The pinouts and wire colors may not be the same.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t4703p135-faq-p0341-camshaft-position-sensor-cam-sensor-timing-chain

-Derek
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

please help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help    please help  EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

please help  Empty