Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote

Go down 
+57
100percentjake
BMD
Rivit
slugranch
llamalor2112
sniperdude
jbeganny
th3fr4nchi5e
Trystlore
riviera559
nothincame2mind
robotennis61
Cmurphy
Abaddon
shrek
BrianEsser
LARRY70GS
98inSFl
Rickw
maximum
chrldo
Eldo
Hard4unot2
slacker2620
DEMonte1997
albertj
dnyce200
71stagegs
dscott2000
EatDirtFartDust
Sweepspear
deekster_caddy
manofmany
GMFreak8
curious riv
mdhall1
Ryan from Ohio
rivparadise
98RIV7777
ibmoses
97Riv-Jon
96riv
racinfan
mayfair4life187
99Rivman
steel2040
SpaceBar
jimmyriv
T Riley
AA
1998 Riv
jax95riv
NO 4 EVR
98riv
5 rivs rgt now
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
maximum
Amateur

Name : Mark
Merit : 0

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 6:28 pm

wheres that located ?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 pm

maximum wrote:
wheres that located ?

It's under the instrument panel on the passenger side. If you want to work on these cars, you need a factory service manual(FSM). That is not optional, these cars are very complicated. The FSM has all the trouble shooting charts so that you don't end up replacing parts you don't have to. The charts are very involved, and too much to post here. Did you follow the programming procedure and remove the jumper before you shut the ignition? I never did get an answer on that one.
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 am

I tryed but the car never reconized the key fob
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 am

maximum wrote:
I tryed but the car never reconized the key fob

I would try getting another key fob. Yours may be wrong, or it is defective.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am

This is the one I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-1997-1998-1999-Buick-Riviera-Keyless-Entry-Remote_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1bf90eaf18QQitemZ120142606104QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 am

Here is another place to order.

https://www.remotesandkeys.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3723

Does the number on the back of your remote match one of these numbers?
Current GM P/N: 25678792
P/N on back of remote: 25678792, or 25628814, or 25668603
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
This is the one I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-1997-1998-1999-Buick-Riviera-Keyless-Entry-Remote_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1bf90eaf18QQitemZ120142606104QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Wow, that's expensive. I just ordered mine for $29 with free shipping. Should be here today in fact. hope it works.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 am

it has the # 25668603 and fcc id KOBUT1BT
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 pm

i know the remotes work, he was useing them up untill a couple weeks before I got them, his wife wreaked the car, but he kept the remotes, and gave them to me
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 pm

maximum wrote:
it has the # 25668603 and fcc id KOBUT1BT

I'd try another Key Fob before trying anything else. You should have more than one anyway.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Be positive you have pins #4 and #8 shorted. It would be easy to get the pins wrong...

The #4 and #8 pins WILL have the metal conductors in them
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 2:24 pm

got the tight pins, and have 2 remotes and tryrd the both,,,,this is getting to be APITA !!!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Have you got the troubleshooting guide from the FSM.
Because it sounds like there isn't anything more that can be done on the "Simple" side of things, now you have follow the guide in the book and you will solve the problem.
There is a lack of communication between the fob / remote and car, it would seem.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Rickw wrote:
Have you got the troubleshooting guide from the FSM.
Because it sounds like there isn't anything more that can be done on the "Simple" side of things, now you have follow the guide in the book and you will solve the problem.
There is a lack of communication between the fob / remote and car, it would seem.

...time for that TechII.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Considering you got the remotes for free, the best price going, I would ask your local GM dealer how much do they charge to program the remotes with the Tech2.
Doesn't take long to do and the price charged really depends on the shop and how busy they are.
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm

I might just go ahead and get a remote entry/start for it, and give the remotes back to my friend !
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 pm

If you chose that route, be aware that many people with Riviera's have had major problems with the conflict of an aftermarket Remote Start and Alarm System installation.
The car has a problem if the system isn't installed by someone that know's the Riv's existing Alarm and Pass-Key systems.
Do a search on here for some tips to pass on to your installer.
Try searching for Alarm System's or Remote Start Systems and Pass-Key.
It has been done with some success but there have also been a lot of complaints after being installed for a while that end up requiring the removal of all aftermarket systems.
Again do yourself a favor before pricing out or having something installed and do the searches on here. You may find some good info that you can print out and give to your installer for a heads up.
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 am

ok thanks for all the help and the heads up about installing a aftermarket system
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

A few things...

- The BCM and the MALL are the same thing. MALL must be an older term for the Body Control Module, as they are used interchangeably in the manual, but I've never been able to find out what MALL stands for... Any idea, Albert?

- I don't think the BCM is on the passenger side, I believe it is on the driver's side near the LCM (Lamp Control Module.)

- The BCM/MALL isn't the interface for the keyfobs, the RFA (Remote Function Actuator) is... This module is beneath the package tray, right behind the RR speaker in the trunk. While it's unlikely, I suppose you should check that this module is in place and that the connectors are in good shape.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Eldo wrote:
A few things...

- The BCM and the MALL are the same thing. MALL must be an older term for the Body Control Module, as they are used interchangeably in the manual, but I've never been able to find out what MALL stands for... Any idea, Albert?

- I don't think the BCM is on the passenger side, I believe it is on the driver's side near the LCM (Lamp Control Module.)

- The BCM/MALL isn't the interface for the keyfobs, the RFA (Remote Function Actuator) is... This module is beneath the package tray, right behind the RR speaker in the trunk. While it's unlikely, I suppose you should check that this module is in place and that the connectors are in good shape.

I've never looked for the BCM, so I pulled out my FSM, and it gives contradictory descriptions on the location. On the component locator page, it states, "under the right side of the IP near the rear of the IP compartment". The next page under BCM component views, it says, "Passenger Compartment under the left side of the instrument panel"

Does anyone else find the FSM very difficult to use? I find it difficult to find things in it, and once you find something, you end up having to skip around trying to find other referenced things in different sections of the FSM. It drives me nuts sometimes, and makes making a repair or finding a fault so much more difficult than it has to be. I think it could be organized a lot better.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Eldo wrote:
A few things...

Eldo got it right.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Eldo wrote:
A few things...

I've never looked for the BCM, so I pulled out my FSM, and it gives contradictory descriptions on the location. On the component locator page, it states, "under the right side of the IP near the rear of the IP compartment". The next page under BCM component views, it says, "Passenger Compartment under the left side of the instrument panel"

Does anyone else find the FSM very difficult to use? I find it difficult to find things in it, and once you find something, you end up having to skip around trying to find other referenced things in different sections of the FSM. It drives me nuts sometimes, and makes making a repair or finding a fault so much more difficult than it has to be. I think it could be organized a lot better.
Larry your correct about some discrepancies in the manual. But component location changes were common during production that even if we were to do a complete manual re-write we would end up with a manual that had inconsistencies from car to car depending on the MFG date of the car.
I do agree with need to bounce around a lot. They could be organized better.
But I have found every MFG has a different way of laying out the information needed. Some are intuitively easier than others for sure. The GM ones take a little more constant use to get used to finding what you are looking for, there is no doubt they could be better in how they are organized.
They could at least reference the other sections and pages that are related to what you are working on, instead of having to jump around and find it. Or ask someone else the question to your problem because you are so frustrated with the book.
That's where having both Alldata and the FSM or access to Mitchell as well is helpful. If you have all 3 it becomes a bit easier, but you end up with discrepancies between them and can end up confused as to which is the correct info. It can be a no win, but some data is still better than none.
These are the same problems the mechanics in the field encounter everyday as they are trying to fix your car and not spend more time than necesary, not only researching but fixing the problem. Experience helps tremendously but there are times when the mechanic that is highly experienced encounters the same problem, a unit or control box is not where it is supposed to be due to a mid year change and time is money.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 am

Rickw wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
Eldo wrote:
A few things...

Larry your correct about some discrepancies in the manual. But component location changes were common during production that even if we were to do a complete manual re-write we would end up with a manual that had inconsistencies from car to car depending on the MFG date of the car.
I do agree with need to bounce around a lot. They could be organized better.
But I have found every MFG has a different way of laying out the information needed. Some are intuitively easier than others for sure. The GM ones take a little more constant use to get used to finding what you are looking for, there is no doubt they could be better in how they are organized.
They could at least reference the other sections and pages that are related to what you are working on, instead of having to jump around and find it. Or ask someone else the question to your problem because you are so frustrated with the book.
That's where having both Alldata and the FSM or access to Mitchell as well is helpful. If you have all 3 it becomes a bit easier, but you end up with discrepancies between them and can end up confused as to which is the correct info. It can be a no win, but some data is still better than none.
These are the same problems the mechanics in the field encounter everyday as they are trying to fix your car and not spend more time than necesary, not only researching but fixing the problem. Experience helps tremendously but there are times when the mechanic that is highly experienced encounters the same problem, a unit or control box is not where it is supposed to be due to a mid year change and time is money.

Thanks Rick,
I'm glad it isn't just me. Still, the FSM is better than nothing. There's no way to fix these cars without one jump
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am

Just received mine this morning and following the direction from the first page, had it programmed on the second try. The trick is definitely to depress the buttons at the exact time. Now I need to read up how to customize all my settings now. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm

BrianEsser wrote:
Just received mine this morning and following the direction from the first page, had it programmed on the second try. The trick is definitely to depress the buttons at the exact time. Now I need to read up how to customize all my settings now. lol

Yep, there is no room for error or variation with that button press thing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next