Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote

Go down 
+57
100percentjake
BMD
Rivit
slugranch
llamalor2112
sniperdude
jbeganny
th3fr4nchi5e
Trystlore
riviera559
nothincame2mind
robotennis61
Cmurphy
Abaddon
shrek
BrianEsser
LARRY70GS
98inSFl
Rickw
maximum
chrldo
Eldo
Hard4unot2
slacker2620
DEMonte1997
albertj
dnyce200
71stagegs
dscott2000
EatDirtFartDust
Sweepspear
deekster_caddy
manofmany
GMFreak8
curious riv
mdhall1
Ryan from Ohio
rivparadise
98RIV7777
ibmoses
97Riv-Jon
96riv
racinfan
mayfair4life187
99Rivman
steel2040
SpaceBar
jimmyriv
T Riley
AA
1998 Riv
jax95riv
NO 4 EVR
98riv
5 rivs rgt now
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 12:13 pm

I just bend a paper clip into a U shape.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 11:02 pm

This is a gravedig, I know...

I just recently got a remote through ebay from KeylessRide.com and the directions had me looking for some phantom pin to ground in the trunk, by the keyless module... wrong. I found the DLC on the drivers side, then I used this handy detonator I assembled a few years ago:

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 Detonator

It consists of a 60 cent momentary switch from Radio Shack and a length of speaker wire. I've used it for model rockets, testing circuits and even a remote-controlled paintball gun (I'd be happy to tell the story smile )

So I slid one wire into pin 4, and one into pin 8. Closed the door. Turned on the key. Held down the button and heard the door locks cycle, then held the unlock button on each of the two remotes. Then let go of the "detonator" button and whala, worked like a charm.
Back to top Go down
dscott2000
Enthusiast
dscott2000

Name : Scott
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 10:07 pm

98RIV7777 wrote:
There's away to program them I just forget how to, I'll look it up as soon as I get home for you, probally later tomight or first thing in the morning

Here is how I reprogrammed my remote to my 97 Bonneville. All you have to do is, push the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until your lights blink. Then, your remote will be re programmed to your car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3061543
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: keyless remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 12:02 am

Does any one know how to program remote Thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 8:58 am

Back to top Go down
dnyce200
Amateur
dnyce200

Name : dnyce

PostSubject: Programming a Remote (Please Help)   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Hello guys dnyce here i havent been on here in a while but my rivi is coming together now, im trying to program a remote for the stock alarm system. I recently bought it from ebay thru the company called mykeyless.com. Im having a problem locating the DLC (Data Link Connector) under the dashboard. The remote came with all the directions Im not that experienced in this just wanted some advice from someone who has expertise in this. Oh yea i have a 95 Riviera. Thanks Guys.
Back to top Go down
http://kingofthahill@gmail.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 am

Previous owner or a mechanic may have pushed the DLC into the panel. Not a big deal.

The DLC is **supposed** to be in that rectangular slot under the left side of the dash. Just remove the screws that hold the panel up, take out the panel and it should be pretty easy to find the DLC; it will be probably be dangling from somewhere near the steering shaft. If not, maybe someone was in there already and stuck it up there so it would not rattle - just us a flashlight and find it. WHen you find it the program your remote per instructin. For your convenience you may want to slip the DLC back into the slot on that kick panel you pulled off You may (or may not) want to use some foam-based double sided trim tape or some of those clear 3M mounting squares (for posters and such) to stick on the mounting ears so it does not slide out so easily.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dnyce200
Amateur
dnyce200

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:55 am

Thanks Albertj for the advice i will be working on this in the morning, but quik question in the directions it says that i have to jump two ports in the DLC connector its says something about a jumper wire to connect it to the two ports on the DLC connector, were do i get this jumper wire from???
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 am

I don't know; however, some have been known to use a partially unbent paper clip.

...be careful in there.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am

This thread:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/keyless-entry-remote-has-stopped-working-t3323.htm?highlight=remote
Has a pic of the connector you are trying to locate.

WARNING: Be sure you are jumnping the correct pins before you begin.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 7:54 am

Do all Rivs have the DLC just dangling? I noticed that is the case with mine. Had to laugh when I was uploading a file to my PCM and realized it was just hanging there via the wires. I'm probably going to fab up a bracket for it.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am

Mine is bolted down to the dash or something.^^^^follow the link in my previous post for a pic.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm

On mine the DLC has little ears that fit into a couple slots around a hole in the driver side knee panel under the dash. *EVERY* time my car is in for service and the techs use the thing, they shove it into the hole. Used to tick me off until I saw why - the way GM has it in there, the Tech II is really tough to use. It is a whole lot easier if you pull the DLC out of the slots and dangle it under the dash. Then the issue is it's about impossible to fit it back in unless you remove the knee panel - which for various reasons most techs are not going to do. So they shove it up under the dash.

So when I get a moment after such a service I'll pull the panel (it does not take long at all) slip the DLC back in place and refit the panel. Gotta make sure to slip the panel into the nylon clip on the firewall or else it rattles (sometimes).

If one wanted to one could probably stick it in place for good with a couple of those silicone Scotch poster squares, or a couple 1/2" or so long sheet metal or trim screws, in the obvious places.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dnyce200
Amateur
dnyce200

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks guys i successfully programmed the remote i used a old stereo wire as the jumper wires and connected to two ends to the DLC and its works!!! I love making progress. Thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
slacker2620
Special

Name : Thomas

PostSubject: Keyless Remotes   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 9:56 pm

I have a 95 rivi and never got either remote with it for the keyless entry. Can I buy 2 remotes off ebay and program them both? I was under the impression that you had to have at least one original for it to work?

Slacker
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 am

No you don't have to have an original one, actually when you do the programming if you had a working remote it has to be re-programmed at the same time as the new one. So, if you get two replacements they will need to be programmed at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Hard4unot2
Amateur
Hard4unot2

Name : Herb

PostSubject: Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I brought a pad off ebay and played contortionist this weekend but could not get the keypad to cycle. I had two different instruction sheets for the '95 Riv but no luck. One sheet involved closing the doors the other didn't.
Back to top Go down
http://hseintegrated.com
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

If I remember correctly the doors need to be closed to program the remotes. That's how it was on the '99 anyway.

HTH
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm

I think this is another of those '95-only problems...

Herb, the keyfob is rectangular rather than slightly tear-drop shape, right?
Back to top Go down
chrldo
Special
chrldo

Name : CHRLDO

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:05 am

i'd like to program a remote for my 95 riv , can some one give me instructions?
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm

I have a 97, and got 2 new key fobs, but can't get the car to find them, tryed 2 different methods and neither worked, Butt, my drivers side electric lock isn't working, could this have something to do with it ??
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Don't know what you've tried, but this is the thread you need:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/keyless-entry-remote-has-stopped-working-t3323.htm#103570

Read it through for the photos and labeling info, and my entry at the bottom of the page has the steps that I know work on a '97...

Last edited by Eldo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm

maximum wrote:
I have a 97, and got 2 new key fobs, but can't get the car to find them, tryed 2 different methods and neither worked, Butt, my drivers side electric lock isn't working, could this have something to do with it ??

Easiest thing is to take the car and fobs to somoeone who has a TechII. Dealers do, but you *may* be able to find a larger independent garage who does and can sync your new fobs.

I do not have my FSM set at the moment, but there's instructions in there for syncing fobs w/o a TechII. Although I admit I've never done that. I'd have my car in for other service and say "oh by the way my fob quit working will you please re-sync them while you do this other stuff." As an adjunct to other work the charge if any was minimal.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

dscott2000 wrote:

Here is how I reprogrammed my remote to my 97 Bonneville. All you have to do is, push the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until your lights blink. Then, your remote will be re programmed to your car.

To clarify, that is not programming, it is "re-synchronizing" the remotes... This is what you do with a remote that is already programmed to the car, but only works on the panic button function because the rolling codes have come out of sync.

The process below, along with Bert's photo up above of how the DLC is numbered, is how to program them:

Jumper the data line connector (DLC) terminal 8 to terminal 4.
Close all of the doors.
Turn ON the ignition switch (The door will cycle to LOCK).
Press and hold the following buttons on one of the transmitters:

* LOCK, and
* UNLOCK (After a 30 second delay, the doors will lock and unlock.)

teach PRESS THOSE 2 BUTTONS AS SIMULTANEOUSLY AS POSSIBLE!!

In order to program extra transmitters, repeat the last step with each one.

Last edited by Eldo on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
maximum
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 pm

so theres no way I can program the key fobs to work with my riviers without taking it to someone that has a techll ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote   FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Programming a New Keyless Entry Remote
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next