HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi all, I'm grateful that I was referred to this site within a few days of purchasing my '96 Riviera.

First, a bit of background. I'm a lifelong Buick enthusiast, and have been a member of the Buick Club of America since I was 22 -- way back in 1975.

I own an original 1959 Buick Electra "flat top" that I remember as a child from my hometown. I also own a 1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe that my parents purchased new.

My first 3800-powered Buick was an '89 LeSabre Limited Coupe that my parents passed along to me in 1998. We still have the car, which has now traveled more than 240,00 reliable miles.

Four years ago, we found a 1990 LeSabre Limited Coupe with 44,000 miles. This fine car became my daily driver, and I've now passed 113,000 miles on this one.

During the summer, we picked up a 2005 LeSabre sedan for my wife. The car is a 28,000-mile beauty, and we love it.

Last Friday, a Buick buddy forwarded a craigslist entry to my home, showing a 1996 Riviera for sale only about a mile away from my home. I persuaded my wife to go look at it, and we were so impressed with the car's condition and quality that we bought it on the spot!

The Riviera is already serving as my daily driver, and I expect to be together for the long-haul. This car is flat-out beautiful, and I love it.

A few details:

51,000 miles, Light Jadestone Metallic with the Jadestone leather & vinyl bucket seats and console. Normally aspirated 3800 Series II.

I'll shoot photos this weekend, and plan to share them here.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
avatar

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Age : 48
Location : Sanford, NC
Joined : 2013-03-12
Post Count : 908
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 pm


Welcome!

I think I saw that CL ad smile


I have the same color combination.

Al
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Al, great! I see that your car was a low mileage example as well! If you have posted any photos of your car on the site, please direct me to them. Sounds like our cars might be near twins.
Back to top Go down
stan
Aficionado


Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2265
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm

welcome Brian
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
avatar

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Age : 48
Location : Sanford, NC
Joined : 2013-03-12
Post Count : 908
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Yep, pulled mine out of a farmer's "back 40" about 7 months ago with 43k miles. I've got 55k on it now, driving it about 115 miles round trip to work every day smile


http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9968-hello-just-picked-up-a-95-sc-with-43k-miles-great-resource-here


http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9975-al-s-new-95-barn-fresh-43k-riviera

Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
avatar

Name : Evan
Age : 24
Location : Granite Falls, WA
Joined : 2012-07-13
Post Count : 838
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 am

So you got that one!! Beautiful car! Were you at the bca meet in your hometown a couple months back by chance?
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast


Name : Al Baucom
Location : Ottawa Ontario
Joined : 2010-03-28
Post Count : 225
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am

Hi Brian, welcome.  You know me from the JSS site.  Here's my 1998 Riviera:

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:10 am

Welcome! I have a '73 LeSabre that my grandparents bought new, as well as many many other Buicks over the years. My mother had an '86 Century convertible with the first Series I 3800, just about the time I was getting my driver's license. Plus several regals and Park Aves over the years, and an '86 Riv we resurrected from the dead. (needed a new motor when we bought it)

My very modified '98 Riv is still in the family with my brother.
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 am

llamalor2112 wrote:
So you got that one!! Beautiful car! Were you at the bca meet in your hometown a couple months back by chance?
Evan, I see you're in Granite Falls. Prior to moving to Puyallup in 2005, we lived for several years on 5-acres just off Highway 92 near the Lochsloy soccer fields.

Yes, I've been attending the All Buick Open in Puyallup for many years, and had my '71 Centurion there this year.

Is the Buick National Meet in Portland on your calendar for next year? I'll be there with the '59 Electra, but was also thinking it would be fun to have the '96 Riviera in the show as well.
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am

abaucom wrote:
Hi Brian, welcome.  You know me from the JSS site.  Here's my 1998 Riviera:

Yes, abaucom, I do recognize your user name from the JSS site. Small world, and great to know that you're a Riviera owner! Your car looks great -- and I believe that Doug Ford also owns a Riviera of this generation.
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:
Yep, pulled mine out of a farmer's "back 40" about 7 months ago with 43k miles.  I've got 55k on it now, driving it about 115 miles round trip to work every day smile


http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9968-hello-just-picked-up-a-95-sc-with-43k-miles-great-resource-here


http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9975-al-s-new-95-barn-fresh-43k-riviera

Al, thanks for those links! Great job with your Riviera; I enjoyed reading about it. I hope the long-term reliability can equal that of your Roadmaster.

Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
Welcome! I have a '73 LeSabre that my grandparents bought new, as well as many many other Buicks over the years. My mother had an '86 Century convertible with the first Series I 3800, just about the time I was getting my driver's license. Plus several regals and Park Aves over the years, and an '86 Riv we resurrected from the dead. (needed a new motor when we bought it)

My very modified '98 Riv is still in the family with my brother.
deekster_caddy, cool that you have that long-time family-owned '73 LeSabre! Thanks for the welcome.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
avatar

Name : Evan
Age : 24
Location : Granite Falls, WA
Joined : 2012-07-13
Post Count : 838
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Centurion wrote:
llamalor2112 wrote:
So you got that one!! Beautiful car! Were you at the bca meet in your hometown a couple months back by chance?
Evan, I see you're in Granite Falls. Prior to moving to Puyallup in 2005, we lived for several years on 5-acres just off Highway 92 near the Lochsloy soccer fields.

Yes, I've been attending the All Buick Open in Puyallup for many years, and had my '71 Centurion there this year.

Is the Buick National Meet in Portland on your calendar for next year? I'll be there with the '59 Electra, but was also thinking it would be fun to have the '96 Riviera in the show as well.
Small world! Did you know the older gentleman doing the sign-in sheets at the puyallup event this year was Mr Engebretsen of Engebretsen Road? Haha bizarre... I must've admired your car a dozen times at thqt show. Mine was the 95 Riv next to Rod Gemper's beautiful black 70 Riv on the back end (in the shade I might add! wink ) my dad was there too with the red 88 Reatta.

We definitely plan on heading to the big Portland event as I keep hearing how impressively massive it is! Definitely look forward to seeing you and all the other pnw Buick nuts out there! happy
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Evan, fantastic! I remember your Riviera, and now I'll really be tuned in to these cars. I probably helped you back into your parking space at the show. My Centurion was parked right by the Reattas.

Let's keep in contact, and, if you'll have your Riviera at next year's Puyallup show and the Portland National, I'd love to have mine there as well.

I recommend making your hotel reservations ASAP for Portland. Let me know if you need the information.
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast


Name : Al Baucom
Location : Ottawa Ontario
Joined : 2010-03-28
Post Count : 225
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Brian...yes Doug Ford also has a Riviera. Wonder if he knows about this site? As you have already found out this site is both friendly and very helpful.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Dave
Age : 65
Location : FLORIDA / The Stand Your Ground State
Joined : 2011-02-21
Post Count : 2038
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 pm

WELCOME & CONGRATULATIONS hi 
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Rivit
Enthusiast
avatar

Name : Jim
Location : Walla Walla, Washington
Joined : 2013-09-22
Post Count : 183
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Welcome Brian,

Seems you have known acquaintances already on board.
Walla Walla is a ways from Puyallup, but the Portland show might be great meet and greet location.

I'll be looking for showroom pictures.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
avatar

Name : Evan
Age : 24
Location : Granite Falls, WA
Joined : 2012-07-13
Post Count : 838
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 am

Centurion wrote:
Evan, fantastic! I remember your Riviera, and now I'll really be tuned in to these cars. I probably helped you back into your parking space at the show. My Centurion was parked right by the Reattas.

Let's keep in contact, and, if you'll have your Riviera at next year's Puyallup show and the Portland National, I'd love to have mine there as well.

I recommend making your hotel reservations ASAP for Portland. Let me know if you need the information.

You very well may have helped back me in! It seemed quite a bit of confusion as to where a riv so young should be parked haha

Your centurion is in quite a few of my pictures from that show. Gorgeous car smile

I do indeed plan to be at those events. And as per the Portland venture I'm lucky enough to have family down in the area to hold me up wink but yes, we'll keep in touch! Welcome aboard by the way! Haha
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Rivit wrote:
Welcome Brian,

Seems you have known acquaintances already on board.
Walla Walla is a ways from Puyallup, but the Portland show might be great meet and greet location.

I'll be looking for showroom pictures.

Jim, Walla Walla may be a long ways from Puyallup, but I'm often down that way to visit family in my hometown -- Baker City, Oregon.  Earlier this year, I led a tour that went fairly close to you, celebrating 100 years of the Buick dealership in Baker City.  We drove up from Pendleton to the Athena / Weston area, then over Tollgate, past Spout Springs, and in to Elgin and Joseph.  This fine '99  Silver Arrow joined us on the tour, from the Seattle area:

Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Dave
Age : 65
Location : FLORIDA / The Stand Your Ground State
Joined : 2011-02-21
Post Count : 2038
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 pm

FINE !!! thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
avatar

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Age : 48
Location : Sanford, NC
Joined : 2013-03-12
Post Count : 908
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:33 pm


Looks great. Appears that your paint is "good". Mine has the "steel wool" effect and some other blemishes.

Al
Back to top Go down
stan
Aficionado


Joined : 2007-07-01
Post Count : 2265
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey ,what number is that SA?
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:19 am

stan wrote:
Hey ,what number is that SA?


Stan, not sure of the number of Bob and Doreen Donald's Silver Arrow, but I'll drop them an e-mail to find out.

I'll invite them to join here, of course!
Back to top Go down
Centurion
Member
avatar

Name : Brian Laurance
Location : Puyallup, WA
Joined : 2013-10-10
Post Count : 79
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:21 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:

Looks great.  Appears that your paint is "good". Mine has the "steel wool" effect and some other blemishes.

Al
Al, that '99 Silver Arrow is not mine.

Here's mine, with more photos soon to appear in the showroom section:

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5558
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:24 am

oohh man dat sweet!!cyclops 
Back to top Go down
 
New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» New owner, 1996 Riviera in Washington state
» My 1996 Riviera Supercharged
» BMD's 1996 Riviera
» 1993 Riviera and a 1996 Riviera SC
» My new 1996 Riviera -- Light Jadestone Metallic, normally aspirated

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: