Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67   Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 1:52 am

In order to Read, Edit and Burn chips for our PCMs, there is a few pieces of hardware needed:

1. Burn2 Chip Programmer/Reader ($85)

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 Burn2_zps42f945f0

This will allow you to read and write chips with TunerPro. It comes with a cable to connect to your computer via USB.

2. HDR1 Memcal Header ($10)

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 HDR1_zpsafb192ed

This allows you to read the stock chip without disassembling the stock Memcal so you can avoid damaging it. It converts the Memcals pinout into a standard 28 pin chip layout which can plug right into the Burn2.

3. G4 Memory Adapter ($40)

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 G4Adapter_zpsd7d6e093

This bypasses the stock chip without affecting the rest of the Memcal's functions. This way, you dont need to take apart the stock Memcal to put in a new chip.

4. C2 27SF512 Chip ($5)

28 pin chip that replaces the stock chip. I believe these can be erased and rewritten if you want to change them as well.

These 4 items and TunerPro RT are all you need to read and then write a new chip for your PCM.

All can be bought here:

https://www.moates.net/

I have gotten fantastic service from them and highly recommend their products.

A few other goodies that I bought that I feel are a good investment:

Ostrich 2.0 ($175)

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 Ostrich20_zpse8222898

This is a Realtime Emulator that conects right to your PCM in place of your aftermarket chip. The car reads its program directly from your laptop and will feel any changes you make as soon as you enter them. This is very handy for testing and fine-tuning before burning a chip.

2-Timer ($30)

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 2Timer_zpsaf7d1595

This can be wired in and allows you to switch between chips on demand. You can change tunes via an external switch. Not sure how difficult this will be to install but its certainly an interesting product.

I also recommend getting a 28 pin ZIF socket. This allows you to lock the chip in place or release it so it slides out easily. This will keep you from damaging a chip when playing with it to get it out.

REMOVING THE PCM

The PCM is located behind the glove box and above the passenger kick panel. To access it, you can just remove the kick panel from below and you will see two metal boxes. The one closest to the passenger compartment is the PCM. I removed the whole unit to make it easier to disassemble. You can remove just the PCM if you dont mind working in the cramped space though.

To remove the unit, you must unplug all wires that plug into the bottom of both boxes. There should be 5 plugs and they all are removed the same way. Push the tabs on the sides inward and pull straight down.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 UnplugWiresfromPCM_zps5c91a828

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 UnplugWiresFrombackbox_zps5160a0ad

After removing the wires, there are 3 bolts holding in the unit. 2 at the top and 1 that was hidden behind the wires.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 TopBolts_zps77ad528c

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 BottomBolt_zpsac7db5f9

After that, everything should pull right out.

Next, remove the PCM from the plastic holder.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 PCMRemovedfromholder_zpsba53557c

REMOVING THE STOCK MEMCAL

You'll notice on the back of the PCM, there is a plate held down with 2 torx screws.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 A98ccca2-3fd6-47da-94ca-c12245a85663_zps976912cd

Remove those, and under that piece you will find the stock Memcal.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 RemoveScrews_zps7e9faded

Pushing the two tabs on the outside of the blue box, the Memcal should be able to wiggle right out.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 EPromandPCM_zps530ac263

READING YOUR STOCK CHIP

To read the stock chip, you will need the Burn2 Programer, the HDR1 Memcal Header and your Memcal. To start, pop the blue top off of your Memcal.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 OpenEPROM_zps21ced72b

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 MEMCAL_zpsa42118c1

That circuitboard over the chip is the Knock Sensing Board. You'll need to note which pins go into which slot and which end of the chip has the notch in it. You'll want to connect only to the pins of the chip and not the ones coming from the knock sensing board.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 OEMChipandKnockSenseboard_zps130c3122

The end of the knock sensing board with 2 pins per side, also has an open slot at that end so be sure to account for that. The chip starts one space in from the side of the knock sensing board with only 1 pin.

Next, insert the HDR1 Memcal Header into the holes that correspond with the chip.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 MemcaltoHDR1_zps8d71ac69

After that, the HDR1's chip pinout can go right into the Burn2.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 MemcaltoHDR1toBurn2_zpsc860fc3f

Plug in the Burn2 to your computer and open up TunerPro. You want to go in the "tools" drop down and select "Initialize Emulation Hardware". The "Hardware Not Found" status should change to identifying your device.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 6023fad3-2f1e-4df2-903f-745a220aee76_zps34bbc877

Next, go back to 'Tools' -> 'Hardware Utilities' and select "Moates PROM I/O..."

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 HardwareUtilitiesMoatesIO_zps5d606b9a

From here, you will be able to set up a read or burn. First, be sure you selsect the correct chip and the values for 'Chip Addressing' and 'Buffer Addressing' are correct.

Chip Adressing
Start: 000000  Stop: 00FFFF

Buffer Addressing
Start: 000000  Stop: 00FFFF

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 ReadChip_zps39b8acf1

After this, you are ready to read the chip.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 ReadingChip_zps14ba89d3

After, the read is complete, select "Save Buffer to File" and save as a .bin file somewhere you can easily locate it.

You can now got to File -> Open Bin... and your tables and values should update with the numbers programmed to your Memcal.

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 D6072b92-0e2c-420f-b65a-b83928395076_zps069f635b

From here you can edit values and save them to a new .bin file, ready to be burned to a new chip.

One thing to watch is units. Many of the temperatures are programmed in Celsius, so it is handy to have a conversion table if you dont feel like doing the math.

Hopefully this is helpful and easy enough to follow. This is as far as I have gotten. I've changed my fan turn on temps and speed governor but not yet burned a chip. This is the PCM out of our parts car Im playing around with for now. Getting a spare PCM from a scrapyard might be beneficial if you want to play around with everything for a bit and get the hang of it. Ill be sure to update as I learn more and do some more stuff with this.

Feel free to PM or Email me with any questions.

Last edited by th3fr4nchi5e on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67   Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 2:12 am

It would be interesting to compare the different PCMs throughout 95-99. I don't expect any of this to transfer over, but I'm just saying it would be nice to see the physical differences. Wouldn't really serve any purposes, but......
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67   Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 am

Fantastic, thanks!

The ability to adjust the fan temp would be really handy.
Back to top Go down
BuickRivieraGeorgia
Amateur
BuickRivieraGeorgia

Name : Riviera
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67   Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pm

Wow! That’s a nice write up… I didn’t think changing fan temps would be so involved.
Very nicely done man, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67   Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Reading, Editing and Burning Chips for a Series 1 L67
Page 1 of 1