Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hard Start After Installing Guages

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fromano
Special

Name : Fromano
Merit : 0

Hard Start After Installing Guages  Empty
PostSubject: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:29 am

I put new gauges in my car yesterday watertemp volt and oil pressure .now I am having a hard time starting car I have to pump gas to get it to start can any body tell me what I did wrong .and how to fix it ?

this may sound dumb but where to I go to get answers to my quastions.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Did you disable the factory sending units to run your new gauges? If so, PCM doesn't know temperature of coolant at start up.
Back to top Go down
Fromano
Special

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 pm

no I did not how do I do that .
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:22 pm

How did you hook your coolant temp gauge at the engine?
Back to top Go down
Fromano
Special

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:52 pm

I took out sensor out by tsat housing and ran new wires in to car . cooling fans are staying on now
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I think if you put the original sensor back in and hook the factory wires back up, your car will operate properly again, assuming it did before. By removing the original sending unit, your PCM doesn't know what temp the engine is at. Therefore it cannot adjust fueling or fan turn on. If you post what year your car is, someone may be able to help you hook up your aftermarket gauges.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

You can't remove any of the factory sensors. The PCM (Powertrain control module, or 'computer') relies on them to know what it's supposed to be doing to your engine. Removing the PCM's coolant sensor means it doesn't know the engine temp, so assumes it's very cold and won't run right at all. Put it back! I'm not aware of any other location where you can add a coolant temp sending unit.

If you have a '96 or newer, there is a digital 'gauge' that plugs into the OBD-II diagnostic port under the dash, called an Aeroforce gauge. With that, you can read anything the PCM makes available, including coolant temp, oil pressure and voltage. BTW Aeroforce is just one example, there are other OBD-II gauges out there. That's one that most of us are familiar with because it works well with GM PCMs.
Back to top Go down
Fromano
Special

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 am

hi thanks for info my riv is a 97 . mods are 104s cai have supercharger pullies to put on but I am dealing with this guage thing.i did order the aero force guage . any thing else I should know before I start .those other mods . any info will help me . again thank you
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard Start After Installing Guages    Hard Start After Installing Guages  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hard Start After Installing Guages
Page 1 of 1