Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake

Go down 
+43
bmcd9179
llamalor2112
charlieRobinson
Jayrydingslab
95riv
DEMonte1997
Abaddon
97 park ave
VJD2
BMD
sealk
Ash
Jack the R
L67
Rickw
Snowdog
captshiner
EASHER
97rivsc
ibmoses
Lucas
Chicken
RhinoFLA
IBx1
lyonsperformance
SuperRiv07
Blown_99_Riviera
Supercharged
texasfan010
palermocorey90
96RivSCMI
turtleman
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
1998 Riv
robotennis61
T Riley
urbsnspices
jax95riv
AA
Jason
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:25 am

texasfan010 wrote:
well the PVC wont have one yet, so what should i do? the plug is just dangling and there isnt an outlet on the PVC yet

Lay it inside the fenderwell if it reaches, otherwise keep it as far away from the exhaust as possible.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:28 am

Im just going to run without it for awhile, then im going to go to the junkyard, and find a IAT off a regal or riviera, cut it off, and put it in the PVC. Is it fine that the IAT wont even be touching the Intake?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:35 am

texasfan010 wrote:
Im just going to run without it for awhile, then im going to go to the junkyard, and find a IAT off a regal or riviera, cut it off, and put it in the PVC. Is it fine that the IAT wont even be touching the Intake?

Why wouldn't you have an IAT sensor? It'll still remain even if you remove the stock airbox....
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:37 am

the IAT sensor is on the box itself right? so the outlet part of it wont be on the car, only the plug part will be.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:40 am

texasfan010 wrote:
the IAT sensor is on the box itself right? so the outlet part of it wont be on the car, only the plug part will be.

The dangling plug it where the sensor resides, so as long as the plug is somewhere near the incoming air it will still function.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:41 am

oh ok so as long as i put the plug end as close as possible to the filter i will be ok for now?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:43 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:44 am

Leaving the IAT sensor off somewhere in the engine bay still plugged in won't hurt anything as long as it's kept out of the way. That would be better than running with it unplugged. The only thing that could happen is the PCM will think the intake air is whatever temp the sensor sees which I reckon would be hotter, if anything, than whats coming through the intake and it will retard timing few degrees once the engine bay heats up which obviously isn't going to hurt anything except power and probably not by a very noticable amount.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:46 am

well it wont be plugged in, the place where it plugs in is on the air box and i took that off for a FWI, theres nowhere for it to plug in yet
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:48 am

texasfan010 wrote:
well it wont be plugged in, the place where it plugs in is on the air box and i took that off for a FWI, theres nowhere for it to plug in yet

Right, so just leave it danglign somewhere near the air filter.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 12:55 am

ok thats what i plan on doing. next week i plan on going to a junk yard and getting the top half of the air box, then using a dremel to cut out the IAT sensor outlet thing, then putting that on the PVC FWI, and plugging in the IAT sensor. Sound good?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 1:00 am

texasfan010 wrote:
ok thats what i plan on doing. next week i plan on going to a junk yard and getting the top half of the air box, then using a dremel to cut out the IAT sensor outlet thing, then putting that on the PVC FWI, and plugging in the IAT sensor. Sound good?

Should be good.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 1:04 am

i might just tape it to the PVC for now. Can i take the IAT sensor outlet off anything besides a 96' riviera? like a GTP, monte SS, 95' rivi?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:26 am

you might just want to pick up a new one from rockauto for $7
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1022038,parttype,5072
i'm surprised when i go to the junk yard, pull a small part and the guy is like $20. F that, i'll give you $5 b/c it's worth $2.

oh, and i dont know how long the center piece is b/c that's where the custom part come in. you will need to piece it together and find out where the filter sits and how long it need to be. 6" sounds a little short though, IDK.

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 3:36 pm

turtleman wrote:
I'm not certain this belongs here but this is another option for a FWI. The northstar TB and LQ4 maf sensor doesn't fit my current 3" PVC intake too well so I'm building yet another one and I wanted to try something different. This is a bit less economical than PVC but I guess I wanted to splurge a little bit.

This is the blind mock-up. I have a bunch of extra parts not even seen here so I should have it all done tomorrow with a list of part numbers and such for anyone that may want to build something like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The northstars throttle plate is 75mm which is almost exactly 3in however, the main opening for hte throttle body where you have to actually attach an intake pipe to is something more like 90mm so this made a lot more sense to me than sticking to the 3" intake. The new maf sensor is an 85mm unit so again, a bit bigger than the 3"

This is exactly what I was looking for, but my mock up kit never showed up.

What have you got there, a couple of 45's and a 22? 4 in i.d.? Aluminum pieces or the chromed polymer?

What's the black piece between the 45 and 22(?), closest to the throttle body? It looks like it has an extra squarish part sticking out of it.

How did you install the IAT sensor?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Jack the R wrote:

What's the black piece between the 45 and 22(?), closest to the throttle body? It looks like it has an extra squarish part sticking out of it.

That's the LQ4 MAF Sensor.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Well that sounds like something I should already have then. lol
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:30 pm

hey i made my PVC FWI last night. Man i LOVE the whine it makes, its amazing, i couldnt be happier. I just had to tape the IAT sensor to the piping. After driving for awhile I seen that my service engine soon light came on, and never has before. I dont think its a big deal, i think its just the IAT sensor is getting a little bit warmer air reading then what is actually going through the intake. What do you guys think? Am i safe to drive?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Can you download the code and see what tripped the light?
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 1:30 pm

i dont know how to do that
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm

texasfan010 wrote:
i dont know how to do that

take it to autozone, pepboys, advance auto ETC.. and have them scan it..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 2:45 pm

how much does that cost? and if it is the IAT sensor, what code would that be?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 2:49 pm

The scan is free and they will tell you not only the code, but what it means.
Write down the code number.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySat May 02, 2009 2:52 pm

thanks. this will have to wait til tomorrow lol, my prom is tonight
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 EmptySun May 03, 2009 2:33 pm

how do they do the scan? like where do they do the scan at? Do i have to take my car apart at all?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next