Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake

Go down 
+43
bmcd9179
llamalor2112
charlieRobinson
Jayrydingslab
95riv
DEMonte1997
Abaddon
97 park ave
VJD2
BMD
sealk
Ash
Jack the R
L67
Rickw
Snowdog
captshiner
EASHER
97rivsc
ibmoses
Lucas
Chicken
RhinoFLA
IBx1
lyonsperformance
SuperRiv07
Blown_99_Riviera
Supercharged
texasfan010
palermocorey90
96RivSCMI
turtleman
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
1998 Riv
robotennis61
T Riley
urbsnspices
jax95riv
AA
Jason
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
mine didnt fit b/c after the adapter, LQ4 and TB i couldnt find a PVC piece short enough or angled enough to clear the rivs massive coolant overflow tank.
ok i see what youre talking about, thats what my problem was with building a FWI even without a supercharger. note the small coolant recovery tank behind the drivers headlight on the last page, the factory recovery tank was attached to the front of the driver strut tower. rolleyes
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:11 pm

What do you guys think about these for the filters?? Help the filter out a little and lessen cleaning intervals. Supposedly.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RE-0810PK

or

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=25-0810

Haven't done this yet but getting ready. Just researching everything!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:31 pm

VJD2 wrote:
What do you guys think about these for the filters?? Help the filter out a little and lessen cleaning intervals. Supposedly.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RE-0810PK

or

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=25-0810

Haven't done this yet but getting ready. Just researching everything!

They were designed for off-road and desert conditions where you will
experience a lot of dust and dirt and mud.
They supposedly reduce the airflow slightly, but in the off-road
environment that's better than a totally clogged filter. You can remove
the socks and brush them off during the day and keep on going.
For our cars they would just be another thing to keep clean and would
restrict air flow quicker.
If you periodically clean the stock K&N filter you'll be fine
for driving on the roads.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:59 pm

I think for a FWI they are a good idea, as the filter will get dirty faster in this location. Unless you can religiously clean your filter every 10k miles or 6 months, which is easier said than done.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:35 pm

I should put a FWI for +10hpz!

could beat vettes than shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Bought my piping yesterday.

Getting ready to buy a silicone reducer for between the TB and first 45 deg piece but noticed they make reinforced 45 deg silicone reducers. Could that work instead of the hard 45 and then go right into the straight pipe portion?
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I have a 3-4" reducer I used for my Regal's FWI before I took it out. If you want it, let me know. Are you going to Billboost's car meet this weekend? He lives in Enfield. There's going to be tons of people there over a broad spectrum of platforms that have the 3800 motor. Most will be Bonnie's but there will be Rivs, GP, Regals... blah blah blah. If you want that reducer, I could bring it there. Can't beat free. wink
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:10 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I have a 3-4" reducer I used for my Regal's FWI before I took it out. If you want it, let me know. Are you going to Billboost's car meet this weekend? He lives in Enfield. There's going to be tons of people there over a broad spectrum of platforms that have the 3800 motor. Most will be Bonnie's but there will be Rivs, GP, Regals... blah blah blah. If you want that reducer, I could bring it there. Can't beat free. wink

That is sweet, thanks!

I'm not sure when exactly his meet is but if its Saturday I can't make it due to work. If its Sunday I might have a chance. I wish I could make it up there. I would love to see all the different setups, mods and talk to other people.

If not I can meet you somewhere another time if your around and I can buy ya some lunch or something in exchange.
Back to top Go down
95riv
Special

Name : Jacob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 pm

THERE IS A WEBSITE AIRAID.COM THEY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BUILD CUSTOM AIR INTAKES. I PLAN ON USING THERE STUFF WHEN I GET TO THAT PART OF MY BUILD. SUSPENSION, ALIGNMENT, AND TIRES ARE FIRST... AWSOME FORUM BY THE WAY
Back to top Go down
Jayrydingslab
Amateur
Jayrydingslab

Name : REMY
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 pm

RT This has to be the most helpful site man i was all looking for an intake system but now i know the way to go u guys are the best
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 am

yo yo yo, anyone know where to find a quality 4" foam filter? Looking for a ~4x7". Trying to not go the K&N route.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

S&B

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
S&B
Nah, I'm looking for foam. I only see they have the cotton filters.
So far I see Perrin (but they only have 4.5" ID and 3.125"ID) ~$55
Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 ShowProductImage.aspx?FileName=a544b7aa-54db-4c40-9b73-5bfa45864c5f
and Weapon R (4"x6.5") but they are like ~$70!
Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 710-111-101
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I really like the foam filters.I ran a UNI foam filter on my Suzuki DR650 a ways back.worked great!
Ive been thinkin about gettin a Greddy green foam filter for the Riv.they look cool too.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:25 pm

I would love to take the intake straight up off the TB and out a hole in the roof. RAM IT. But......I'll probably just got with the FWI for now..
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:29 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
I really like the foam filters.I ran a UNI foam filter on my Suzuki DR650 a ways back.worked great!
Ive been thinkin about gettin a Greddy green foam filter for the Riv.they look cool too.

Good spot on the Greddy. I was looking for a cone filter to fit nicely in the FW, but I have an idea for a mushroom filter like this too.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I would love to take the intake straight up off the TB and out a hole in the roof. RAM IT. But......I'll probably just got with the FWI for now..

with the air rushing up and smoothly over the very aerodynamic Riv hood,a hood scoop would be less than efficient.I bumper scoop would bring in alot cooler and denser air.according to the experts anyway.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I wonder, would a foam filter be more water resistant than my current cone?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
I wonder, would a foam filter be more water resistant than my current cone?

in terms of saturation it would perform and protect NO better. if the filter gets in the way of water the Fat supercharger will suck anything up its snout quite happily!
On my old Acura Legend I had a bumper mounted scoop mounted very close to the ground.I fabbed up a block off plate that I could screw into the outside of the bumper when it rained.it rained alot back east in NY. funny enough,I never used it and never had a problem with the naturally aspirated engine sucking in water.I dont think I would take that chance with a supercharged engine.I knew a guy who had a similar intake on a turbo charged Saab,stupid fuck drove his shit thru a deep ass puddle and sucked up enough water to completely flood his engine! oh man!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 pm

^only reason I haven't bothered with an fwi yet. Based on my driving experience with it this past half a year I'm positive it'd just be like adding a straw to my blower
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
^only reason I haven't bothered with an fwi yet. Based on my driving experience with it this past half a year I'm positive it'd just be like adding a straw to my blower

you can have an intake mounted anywhere.if youre afraid of water, do like i did and make a block off plate.simple.when it rains ,whip it out,bolt it on.takes 1 1/2 minute to screw on.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:09 pm

It'd be more a case of never getting it off. Even on sunny days the roads are wet/puddled razz
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Quote :
Unless you're driving through 1+ ft of water, you have nothing to worry about. FWI is only abut 8-10" lower than the stock location, depending on the filter you use. I installed a shield on mine just in case - so far 8 years with no problems.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:48 pm

My most comfortable thought is my idea of a naca duct on the bottom of the fenderwell with its own flat filter behind it into a 4"pipe up into the engine bay and a second 'inline' filter can before the blower. I don't see this causing any drop in cfm. The inline is rated at 650 cfm and even with the second flat filter (mainly as a brunt water and element guard) being that its a sealed, naca-sourced intake it should still be highly efficient I'd imagine

And/or an inline air bypass valve like robo suggested? I like that failsafe...hmmm
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Two filters inline = more intake restriction. The 650 CFM rating assumes it's the only filter in the series. If you compound the filtering, the CFM rating would be cut in half. This means you would need to use filters with double the surface area 1300 CFM each (very big filters) to have a true 650 CFM flow. That's a lot of extra filter, added cost, and lost real estate. And to be honest, the small amount of water/dirt that gets past the first filter isn't going to harm the engine, no need for double filters.

If you drive through a lake, no amount of filtering is going to prevent engine damage.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next