Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Billet Body mount bushing fittment?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

Billet Body mount bushing fittment? Empty
PostSubject: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:20 am

I need some of you guys knowledgeable help.  I'm getting ready to get my parts together for a subframe swap on my car.  Would these work on our riv or would someone recommend something please?  I did the hockey pucks but I think that the subframe is sliding around on me.  I hit a pothole or curb the other day in the snow and I suspect it moved out of place.

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967_1981_Body_Mount_Interlock_Bushings_Stock_He_p/sus-415.htm
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

chitown_riv98 wrote:
I need some of you guys knowledgeable help.  I'm getting ready to get my parts together for a subframe swap on my car.  Would these work on our riv or would someone recommend something please?  I did the hockey pucks but I think that the subframe is sliding around on me.  I hit a pothole or curb the other day in the snow and I suspect it moved out of place.

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967_1981_Body_Mount_Interlock_Bushings_Stock_He_p/sus-415.htm

It would depend on the diameter of those bushings.Dont forget,the oem bushings sit in a pretty big hole.Those look a little teeny.I did a write up on how to flip the oem mushroom washer and weld it into place.The mod works real good.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks for the response Robo,  that's what I was thinking.  I had seen your writeup and was amazed.  The only prob for me is that my welding skills suck.  I have a wire feed welder from Harbor Freight but I dunno if it would work well.  I think I'm gonna purchase a decent subframe from the junkyard then take it over along with the 6 mushroom washers to a weld shop in my area and have them do it.  I'm kinda worried that they are not going to be welded in the right spot.  I'm going to end up using your method I believe.  Once its hard mounted I bet my clunks and alignment issues will be improved. That's what has given me the most problems in my car over the 10 years I've owned it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm

It is the most satisfying mod next to Coilovers.It will completely transform the front end. I would say that you're better off flipping the mushroom washers than mucking around with a substitute subframe.I haven't done a swap yet but I bet it's a mofo.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 pm

The problem is my frame was repaired a few times because there was a few bad cracks in it.  So I kinda want to kill both birds with one stone.  I live in Chicago and the rust is catching up from all the winters.  A few years ago the flange where the control arm bolts to on the subframe broke off, I had it welded on but I'm not to confident anymore on the strength.  There are other cracks that I can see.  So my next frame I want to sand down and paint with some rustoleum after the mushrooms are welded on before the install.  Also, The metal on the bottom of the car has rusted out on one of the areas where the bolt bolts on.  There is only 5 holding on.  What thickness steel would I be able to use to weld a square in then drill a new hole and add one of those retainer nuts that are in there?  What gauge would that be?  And yea it is a mofo.  Im preparing myself to do it at the moment.  EIther an engine support bar or cherry picker will be purchased and I'm not looking forward to messing with rusty nuts, LOL.  I already removed the bolts on 5/6 of the cradle, One of the bolts by the radiator was giving me issues so I just left that OEM bushing.  I think I have to open an access hole to get to the retainer nut.  Robo, You're lucky to be in Vegas where it is salt free winters. But it sure gets hot as hell tho.

poop
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 11:46 pm

I guess a new subframe is in order then. I would use 1/4" steel.Not over kill and wont have you pondering whether you should have used something thicker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billet Body mount bushing fittment?   Billet Body mount bushing fittment? Empty

Back to top Go down

Billet Body mount bushing fittment?
Page 1 of 1