Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stuck Spark Plug Boot

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rodrivi
Rookie
rodrivi

Name : Rodg
Merit : 0

Stuck Spark Plug Boot Empty
PostSubject: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 am

I changed all of my spark plugs except for one. I cant seem to get the boot off spark plug number 6, the one all the way in the rear right corner of the engine. The boot has like some type of metal heat sheild. Does anybody have any tips or know the best way to get it off? This thing moves a little but just doesnt want to come off.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Pull real hard. Twist while pulling. It will come.

I used to have one of these:
Stuck Spark Plug Boot 91081575_R_151bbea2
but it would just bend when you got to the tough ones where you really needed some kind of help.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:14 pm

You may even be able to get an open-end wrench around the old plug, get it out, then take it and the wire to a more comfortable place where you can work at it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Take a break to rest your arm and hand for a bit. Find a tight mechanic's glove and put it on. Find your point of best leverage (might need to remove the right hood strut). Now, lay over the fender and snake your left arm around the back of the engine. Find the #6 wire and get a good grip with your left hand. Now pull toward the firewall and up with all you have, in one big burst. Make a manly grunt as you do this - the wire will have no choice but to surrender at that point.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm

i used vice grips and bent the heat sheild a bit but it bent back easy
Back to top Go down
rodrivi
Rookie
rodrivi

Name : Rodg
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:13 am

Ok thanks everybody for the input. I will try again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Spark Plug Boot   Stuck Spark Plug Boot Empty

Back to top Go down

Stuck Spark Plug Boot
Page 1 of 1