Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pinky6
Special

Name : B P
Merit : 0

Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? Empty
PostSubject: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 pm

I have a 95 Supercharged Riviera. Can someone tell me if the temp gauge reads in the red and you shut the engine off, are the fans supposed to run until temp drops? Seems like they should as I have had other vehicles that the fans continue to run for a bit after the car is shut off? If they are supposed to what do I need to fix to make sure they do. Thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 pm

Do the fans turn on with the engine running?

I would be more worried about why the coolant temp rises into the red, than why the fans aren't kicking on after shut down. The temp gauge shouldn't go much above 1/2 way (~200ºF). Check your t-stat, coolant condition, and radiator first. I don't think the fans, or lack of, are causing your overheating situation.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
pinky6
Special

Name : B P
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

They do run at times but only off and on cycles. I guess I was using that as a reference to where I believe the fans might run if the car is shut off with a temp on the higher side. So to make it more simple do the fans on a 95 ever run when the car is shut off?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

Not sure without reviewing the factory service manual (I don't have one for a '95). I wouldn't expect the fans to run with the key off though. It wouldn't help the engine unless coolant was flowing. No water pump, don't bother with the fans.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

I've seen cars have their fans run after the car was shut off for some period of time, and I think I recall the manual warns about disconnecting the battery during maintenance around the fans and cautions they could activate at any time.

But I haven't seen them run like that on my 95 yet.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 4:12 pm

I had a vehicle that had that warning also, might have been a Town & Country van. Seems like a pretty unsafe situation to me.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Here's the page from the 1995 Buick Riviera Owners Manual where it warns that the fans could start at any time, even with the engine off.

Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? 1995-r10

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 am

If you have the key on, the fans could start for a variety of reasons. Since people often look under the hood with the key on, the warning is necessary. I'm pretty certain the fans will not run with the key off.

Some people mod the Series II PCM to enable fans to stay on after the key is off, so it's possible to do in a non-stock configuration. But if it's stock and you turn the key off, they will stay off.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Well again, I can't say for certain about the Series I or II engines, but I've been around a fair share of cars that will keep their fans running after the car is shut off and the driver has left the building.... the car sitting in the parking space, fans running, all locked up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?   Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fans? When are they supposed to Run?
Page 1 of 1