Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Replace front main seal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Steelrain
Amateur

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

Replace front main seal  Empty
PostSubject: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:18 pm

I have been looking on line for a while now and have not found anything that really helps me out. so i came here to ask fellow Riv owners, How do I go about replacing the Front Main Seal (crank shaft)? I have a massive leak coming from there and as of now the car is not useable. any and all help will be appreciated
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:40 pm

That's actually the easier seal to replace. You need to pull the Harmonic Balancer off, and the seal is right behind it. It's not a common place for the 3800 to leak, which is why you haven't found anything on it. You'll need a Crankshaft Pulley Puller, and also a Seal Puller/Installer. You can usually get away without the seal tool, but it's recommended. What year is your car?
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 pm

it is a 95

This is just to get the oil to stop leaking long enough for me to save up for a new engine. I have a spun rod bearing as well and a iffy at best tranny..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Ah...it's you lol.

I think you can rent a Crank Pulley Puller from Autozone if you don't have one. I believe you can get at it from inside the passenger wheel well with some plastic trim removal. I've never personally done one on a '95. Hopefully someone who has can chime in.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm

i will have to see if i can rent it from O'Rielly or carquest as i dont have an autozone within 2hrs of me. I hope it is relatively simple as my other car will be gone on the 15th.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Will this http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-69889.html work to pull the crank shaft puller? what do i need to pull the harmonic balancer?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

That should work, yes. You only have to pull of the Harmonic Balancer aka Crank Pulley.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm

sounds good. cant beat the price of it.. was going to cost triple that at O'rielly
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Yeah. Harbor Freight is awesome. Some of their stuff is literally crap, but most of it lasts/works a long time. For the price though, who cares if it only lasts 3 months lol.

I have a fresh scar from a $9 Harbor Freight Heat Gun lol
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I have bought a bit of stuff from them in the past and have been for the most part very happy with it..

When i was taking the feeder tube off when i pulled the oil pan my elbow smoked the tranny pan, the Dr wanted to give me stitches i just super glued it back together lol
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Yeah. Harbor Freight is awesome. Some of their stuff is literally crap, but most of it lasts/works a long time. For the price though, who cares if it only lasts 3 months lol.

HF is my go-to source for tools I won't feel bad about breaking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replace front main seal    Replace front main seal  Empty

Back to top Go down

Replace front main seal
Page 1 of 1