Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Insturment Cluster outage?

Go down 
+2
Ship
93pearlriv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
93pearlriv
Special

Name : Jake
Merit : 0

Insturment Cluster outage? Empty
PostSubject: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 pm

I have a 93 Riv with the digital cluster and it likes to go completely black or cut half of the lights out and just freeze up. Is there a way to fix that? I have tried messing with the plug and I have tried to replace the cluster, both to ill effect. When it goes out it is not something I can replicate as in it is not a constant thing.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 am

Does "tired messing with the plug" mean you actually cleaned the backside connections and still no effect? Also, did you "try to replace the cluster" or actually replace it. If you actually replaced it, does this mean that both clusters are defective? Kinda sounds unlikely. Where did you get the second cluster from? Sounds more like just dirty connections to me.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:11 pm

The digital displays in those are known for not lasting. I can't remember his name but there is a guy who sells them on ebay pretty regularly, who refurbishes them himself.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 12:18 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-LESABRE-PARK-AVENUE-ATC-CLIMATE-CONTROL-REPAIR-/180681092970?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a116eaf6a&vxp=mtr

This is a repair service offered on E Bay. You send them yours in exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
93pearlriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Messing with the plug means i cleaned both ends and made sure that the ends were tight. Replacing the cluster means i bought a reman cluster off of ebay (only place i found them) and it did the same thing as the original
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying. It sounded like you tried but couldn't find a replacement cluster!

I don't have a service manual for one of those. I'd guess some kind of bus data information problem, but that's not very helpful for you. I do remember from our '86 that there was a module for just about everything!

Without a service manual it's back to basics - make sure ground wires are all tight and to clean terminals. Unplug and inspect connectors at the ECM (PCM?) and any modules you can find. Beyond that, try to find a service manual. It's probably cheaper than an hour's labor at the dealer.
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

Name : Cody
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 1:39 am

If it's intermittent, it probably is the power supply transistors in the cluster. I just got mine back today from Mr. Whizard. It works marvelously. If you replaced with a used unit they both probably need to be repaired.

http://www.mrwhizard.com/Repair%20Pricing.cfm#Start
Back to top Go down
Tha Great Riviera SC95
Special

Name : Tha Great Riviera sc95

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 am

well I have a question... I have a 95sc in all of a sudden my cluster lights goes dim and they won't get brighter. and to make matters even worse my clutch lights went out n want come ON ... can any 1 tell me whats wrong?  
00:45:22
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

Name : Cody
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 am

My guess is your twilight sensor or a bad headlight switch. You may have to check the wiring behind the dash to make sure you don't have a loose connector. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Tha Great Riviera SC95
Special

Name : Tha Great Riviera sc95

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 2:31 am

hey thanks Cody appreciate that if so I will be checking on it in the morning
Back to top Go down
93pearlriv
Special

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Derek

The ECM was my next thing to check and I do have the service manual but it does not have anything about a cluster outage/fix in it, and i have gone through each page.

Cody

I may have to try that. It may be possible. I mean it just is getting annoying and I love to drive the car but not when it is out haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insturment Cluster outage?   Insturment Cluster outage? Empty

Back to top Go down

Insturment Cluster outage?
Page 1 of 1