Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

What fluid recommended for power steering?

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
al_roethlisberger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

What fluid recommended for power steering? Empty
PostSubject: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 am

I've been reading a number of the power steering threads, as I too suffer from some of the typical shudder conditions and will likely eventually get the new hose as recommended by the TSB.

In the meantime I'm going to flush the old fluid out though as it is really dirty.

So that led me to wonder what fluid works best in these GM systems?

I know a lot of folks swear by using something like Mobil 1 ATF in some power steering systems for example.

I didn't see any tips in the other power steering threads recommending something more exotic such as synthetic ATF, or..... versus the standard "universal" power steering fluids at the chain auto parts stores , but I thought I'd ask since I'll be sucking the old out tomorrow.

Thanks
Al
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 am

I've been using Prestone,real good stuff
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Plain "Power Steering Fluid" is all you want in here. No ATF. I use my vacuum suction thingy and suck out the reservoir every other year or so and refill with new. The old stuff is silty.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Sounds good. Did some other research on the side and came to the same conclusion!

Thanks,
Al
Back to top Go down
sall

Name : sall
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I use Dex VI in both of my Auroras PS system. Check out bitog.com
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 8:36 am

sall wrote:
I use Dex VI in both of my Auroras PS system. Check out bitog.com

The new(er) High Volume P/S system in the 3.6L setup uses Dex VI. We're actually required to flush out the P/S system and refill with Dex VI (pre '12) per GM Bulletin. I've read nothing about filling any other system with Dex VI. I don't think it will hurt, but I also don't think you'll gain anything from it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySat May 17, 2014 5:14 am

Al, the temporary fix for the shudder is to add Lucas power steering fluid to the PS sump, you will need to remove some of the old to do that. For replacing the fluid I'd suggest the Valvoline or other synthetic fluid. It's a physics thing, the Lucas changes the viscosity of the fluid so it does not hammer.

The real fix for the shudder is to replace the PS hoses with ones that have a slightly different length actually - back in the mists of time GM put this info in a service bulletin.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? EmptySun May 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks, yeah the new hose (just one) for the 95 isn't too bad, so I'll probably replace it in the coming year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What fluid recommended for power steering?   What fluid recommended for power steering? Empty

Back to top Go down

What fluid recommended for power steering?
Page 1 of 1