Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose

Go down 
+2
Abaddon
Trystlore
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Trystlore
Trystlore

Name : Mike Woods
Merit : 0

Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 pm

This engine used to soundlike a jet from air intake when I blipped the throttle.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 8:05 pm

If you hook a vacuum gauge up to the engine, and bring it up to about 1500 RPM in Neutral/Park, and hold it steady, the vacuum should hold steady at about 20". If it starts to fall off, that points to a clogged exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I have a vacuum gauge in route finally hope to have it tested in an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:41 pm

this is a longshot -- but find a factory manual and double check the plug wire order. They might be mixed up a little at the coil pack?!? I am grabbing at straws here.
Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Nah they are good vacuum was 14.5 at idle 15 at 1500 rpm
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Trystlore wrote:

Your vac could be higher, I am thinking exhaust is impaired....
Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Leaning there as well gonna open it up Tuesday and check engine reaction
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

Name : Marc

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 am

Its odd that all of the diagnostics nobody has mentioned to check the fuel pressure. That can lead to all the symptoms you mention and can be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. The next thing has already been mentioned and thats a clogged cat but you will actually loose power the warmer the car gets. GM's are prone to that but the symptoms are very pronounced.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 11:36 am

rivi95era wrote:
Its odd that all of the diagnostics nobody has mentioned to check the fuel pressure. That can lead to all the symptoms you mention and can be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. The next thing has already been mentioned and thats a clogged cat but you will actually loose power the warmer the car gets. GM's are prone to that but the symptoms are very pronounced.

It's entirely possible, but rare. Changing the fuel filter is certainly a worthwhile idea, but I have seem OEM fuel filters with 200K on them.

My '05 Yukon didn't even have a fuel filter. They relied entirely on the in-tank pickup screen (sock filter). That's got almost 200K on it and still on the original fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

rivi95era wrote:

It's entirely possible, but rare. Changing the fuel filter is certainly a worthwhile idea, but I have seem OEM fuel filters with 200K on them.

My '05 Yukon didn't even have a fuel filter. They relied entirely on the in-tank pickup screen (sock filter). That's got almost 200K on it and still on the original fuel pump.

The lifetime of a fuel filter is entirely based on where you are and where the fuel is refined. Some refineries are dirtier than others hence the reason for a fuel filter but they are all in a sense dirty, lol lmfao Having worked at a fuel station for quite some time a lil while back I got to know the transporters very well and they showed me how to get samples out of the in ground tanks. Nasty stuff before it goes through the pump and the fuel stations that have the screw on style filters at the top of the pump hose, REALLY Dirty!! Something else a lot of people don't know is most of the fuel stations that have three grades just mix 93 and 87 together to achieve 89. (US Octane and method)
Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Changed fuel filter last week I will throw a fuel pressure tester on it tomorrow before I cracked it open. New fuel filter helped somewhat. But not as much as expected
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Trystlore wrote:

Nope, that isn't normal. I have a vacuum/boost gauge installed on my 153,000 mile 98 Riv. It pulls 20" at idle all day every day. You either have a vacuum leak somewhere or a clogged exhaust.

Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Went all around the vacuum lines and intake with starting fluid since hose inspection was turning up any leaks.No leaks that we could find. Don't have a smoke machine anymore so gonna temporarily figure no vacuum leak. Weather permitting going to Unbolt the exhaust tomorrow and see if that solves my obvious issues. Though considering an issue I had when I was changing my plugs and a few other things my thoughts heavily lean towards the partially clogged exhaust.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:50 pm

These are my readings, fully warm in Park, at normal idle.

Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 OilPressBoost_zps41548fea

Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:15 pm

[quote="LARRY70GS"]These are my readings, fully warm in Park, at normal idle.

oh man thats fancy!!!  bow 
Back to top Go down
Trystlore
Trystlore

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I know right =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose   Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Runnability issue hardest i ever had to diagnose
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2