HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Temperature Gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rivi95era

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey guys,

Need some help here. My Temperature gauge have never worked in my riv and neither has the gear indicator.
Well the indicator I have come to just deal with but no knowing my temperature drives me nuts. I was going to
just pull the temp sensor and stick my after market gauge in that sensor hole and then got to thinking that my
car will always run in an open loop and get even worse gas mileage than it already does. I know that it is working
because the fans come on but more importantly when I connect to my snap on its registers temperature accurately.
I am pretty sure that the problem is the cluster but I am not going to replace because the 95 cluster is only for the
95 and the cheapest I can find is close to a hundred bucks with no guarantee that it works. So If anyone has modded
an aftermarket temperature gauge into their 95 S/C Riv, I'd like to know how it was piped. Thanks in advance.  cheers
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert

Name : Matt
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm sure there's a way to splice into the factory wiring with an aftermarket gauge. It would be a lot easier if you had a 96+ so you could use the OBD II port to monitor things. You might be able to find something that plugs into the 95's port which is OBD 1.5 IIRC.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:28 pm

The obd port is in an awkward place and any cords hanging will get tangled up when you try to drive. This sensor is a two wire which led me to believe that there may be a second sensor but there is none that I could find and I have had the top end off the motor. Surely if it was there I would have found it then, lol. Thanks for the forward thinking Matt!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert

Name : Matt
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Do you have service manuals? I couldn't think of a better way to trace down wiring and finding a good spot to splice in than that. The only problem is that it could mess with the resistance going to the ECU causing inaccurate readings on both the ECU and the gauge. The other problem is that some gauges like to have their own sensor which is good and bad for you. The good part is that you can mount the sensor wherever you want so that the wiring and everything is hidden. The bad part is that you have to install another sensor and run the wiring.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:24 pm

hmm, think I may need a shot gun for this car......  evil 
Back to top Go down
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Sorry, but to answer your question I don't have a service manual for the car. That would probably help with all the puzzles this car has. I really do not want to tap any wires, I just want to see if anyone has run an analog temp. gauge and how they did it.
Back to top Go down
BLKOUT
Rookie

Name : BLKOUT

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:57 pm

rivi95era wrote:
Hey guys,

Need some help here. My Temperature gauge have never worked in my riv and neither has the gear indicator.

I literally have BOTH of the exact same problems on my 95 Series II Riv (non S/C). headshot 

1. DISPLAY ALWAYS STUCK ON "D."
Gear Indicator Display on the instrument dash panel flashes 3-4 times after the engine turns over while still in Park. The gear indicator is stuck on Drive "D" - both while flashing and after I shift anywhere out of park. I did some reading around and a mechanic wrote on a thred somewhere that it may have something to do with the "Transmission Selector Switch ?"dunno 

2. TEMPERATURE DISPLAY GAUGE NEVER MOVES FROM ZERO.
Now that it's summer in CLE, it really freaks me out, now more than ever, that I cannot see the engines temperature while driving. I just replaced the temp sensor & both gaskets as well as the coolant temp sensor (ECT) because I could feel it running way to hot & also hoped that replacing the two would get the internal temp gauge to give me some sort of reading - but had no luck on solving either of the two problems.

p.s. - SES Light sometimes comes on, but it does so irregularly and not all the time...
Back to top Go down
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Temperature Gauge   Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:06 am

Hey blkout, Sorry you are having the same problems. I am pretty certain that its the cluster. If you look closely when you crank the car. The "press brake to shift" light will come on then go off and the last riv I drive before this one that light stayed on till you put in gear. Also a way to see if your neutral safety switch is working, just set the parking brake, turn the key to the run position (your cel light will be on but motor off) put her in reverse and see if you got lights back there. If you do then the switch is good and you either have a wiring to the cluster issue of a bad cluster.

For your check engine light, thats something you need to get the codes read, a 95 is harder to read and you have to read it while its on, when the light is off the code is gone. If you were local I could read the code(s) for you.

The reality is your display is not stuck on drive its got a circle around the D (stop laughing) to signify that it is an over drive transmission. The indicator is a little line under the corresponding gear.
Back to top Go down

Temperature Gauge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1