Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)

Go down 
+5
albertj
LARRY70GS
Abaddon
bigdave
designer1962
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

albertj wrote:
This could be an issue if your car was in a wreck or hit a big pothole before you got it.

No wrecks. Just 12 years of abuse from me. I was merely offering up a different solution. I had already gone through all the usual suspects. The vibration got better with everything I replaced, but didn't really disappear until the wheels were replaced.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Abaddon wrote:

albertj wrote:
This could be an issue if your car was in a wreck or hit a big pothole before you got it.

No wrecks. Just 12 years of abuse from me. I was merely offering up a different solution. I had already gone through all the usual suspects. The vibration got better with everything I replaced, but didn't really disappear until the wheels were replaced.

I did say before you got it.

When I got my Riv I had to replace one of the alloys, supposedly it was out of round. I still have it, it's not on the car it's stored.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 pm

UPDATE: After all the stuff I've done (new tires, balance/rebalance, wheel hubs and bearings, struts, lower control arm bushings and ball joints) I took the car out today and got a "vibration" in the front end at around 52 MPH. It lessened if I increased the speed. Now what it is doing is vibrating when I let off on the gas at around 50 or so and goes away when I reapply gas. I am totally stumped now other than thinking I should replace the front half shafts and CV joints. The car has about 195,000 miles on it and I am assuming the front end except for what I have replaced is original. Any further thoughts from any of you? Do I look at the rack and pinion next? OH, and the entire steering column was rebuilt last year to eliminate that Riviera "wobble". The shake even occurs when cruise control is engaged.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Welcome to the club Harvey....we all have that goddamn shimmy
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 am

designer1962 wrote:
UPDATE: After all the stuff I've done (new tires, balance/rebalance, wheel hubs and bearings, struts, lower control arm bushings and ball joints) I took the car out today and got a "vibration" in the front end at around 52 MPH. It lessened if I increased the speed. Now what it is doing is vibrating when I let off on the gas at around 50 or so and goes away when I reapply gas. I am totally stumped now other than thinking I should replace the front half shafts and CV joints. The car has about 195,000 miles on it and I am assuming the front end except for what I have replaced is original. Any further thoughts from any of you? Do I look at the rack and pinion next? OH, and the entire steering column was rebuilt last year to eliminate that Riviera "wobble". The shake even occurs when cruise control is engaged.

Try rotating your tires, just to see. My '98 never had a wobble. Also have the tires rebalanced and ask them to see if the tires spin true. Some have "lumpy" treads. In my tire shop I've cured "uncurable" wobbles by literally grinding down high spots on the tread. Not all tires are made perfectly round, and some are notable worse than others.

The only other rotating part up there that you haven't replaced which could be affected by accel/decel is the CV joints/shafts.

(also, please add the year/make of your car to your signature and enable your signature. It helps us all keep things straight)
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions. CVjoints and half shafta are next on the agenda.

I'd be happy to add to my signature, but have no idea how.

HC
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 am

Just go to "Profile" at the top, then Signature (just under the top row, on the right side). Fill in some basic info and Save. Then go to Preferences (right next to Signature) and set "Always enable my signature" to Yes (and Save)
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Well, the mystery continues.

I had the left and right halfshafts and CV joints replaced and the result is that I still get a vibration in the front end that is not as severe, but still present. While doing the halfshafts, discovered the outer tie rod ends were in bad shape, so that is the next attempt at getting rid of the "bounce" (don't know what else to call it)

Recapping, My 1995 Riv developed wheel bounce at highway speed. Replaced all tires, balanced them and then rebalanced them. Replaced both struts. Replaced hubs and bearings on both sides. Rebuilt lower control arms (new bushings) and new ball joints. finally replaced half shafts and CV joints. About to replace outer tie rod ends.

The front developed a vibration of some sort that seems to occur when letting off the gas after accelerating, but will also occur at around 45 to 50 mph for no apparent reason. As I have said I have replaced just about everything I thought could cause it with only some improvement. One mechanic suggested it might be a motor mount rather than suspension. Any thoughts? Anyone.

Latest thing is the steering wheel now is not straight when car is driving straight. That started when the cvs joints were replaced. Is this something that is an easy fix?

"Baffled in Baltimore"

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Your steering wheel isn't straight because the repair shop probably disconnected the lower control arms or the struts and never re-aligned the car.....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm

also check if any of your brakes are dragging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)
Page 1 of 1