Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

need help, power steering problem/magnasteer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zpetey88
Rookie
zpetey88

Name : zack p
Merit : 0

need help, power steering problem/magnasteer Empty
PostSubject: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm

I've been having problems with steering lately, things are fine while driving but at parking lot speeds, sometimes the power steering cuts out and it becomes very hard to turn and half the time it works fine, my service manuals top diagnosis is a magnasteer issue, but the section it refers you to (8a 45) seems to be missing or torn out. If anyone knows what kind of fix I'd be looking at for a magnasteer issue, or has the missing section in their manual or any other idea what's wrong with my steering, help would be greatly appreciated. All of this is on a 97 by the way.

CHAS1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 2:42 pm

It has nothing to do with the MagnaSteer. The pump is probably on its way out. It sounds like its not supplying enough pressure at low RPMS. Start with that.....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:23 am

Abaddon wrote:
It has nothing to do with the MagnaSteer. The pump is probably on its way out. It sounds like its not supplying enough pressure at low RPMS. Start with that.....

+ what abaddon said, Magnasteer does not clinch hard enough to cause an issue like that.
Back to top Go down
zpetey88
Rookie
zpetey88

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

So is replacing the pump something that is feasible to do on my own? or am I going to have to go to a mechanic, and how much will the part and labor be do you think?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

zpetey88 wrote:
So is replacing the pump something that is feasible to do on my own? or am I going to have to go to a mechanic, and how much will the part and labor be do you think?

Well, the lines have to be disconnected from underneath, and the pump can be removed from the top. Then you have to remove the Pulley with a P/S Pulley remover, and then install it on the new pump with a P/S Pulley installer. If you aren't mechanically inclined, nor have the tools, this isn't the P/S pump replacement job for you.

No clue what a pump costs these days, but you're looking at about 2-3 hours of labor + fluid and shop supplies.
Back to top Go down
zpetey88
Rookie
zpetey88

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 am

Alright man, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help, power steering problem/magnasteer   need help, power steering problem/magnasteer Empty

Back to top Go down

need help, power steering problem/magnasteer
Page 1 of 1