HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Tai lights & brake lights not working

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jsevans0126
Rookie

Name : S.Evans
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 am

I'm new to the site, but I have been coming here for help on my 98 Riviera. I noticed yesterday that I have no tail lights not even with the head light switch pulled out and also no brake lights at all, not even the third brake light. Checked fuses and relays and they are all fine. Thinking it might be the turn signal switch but wanted y'all's input. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

Name : Scott
Merit : 171

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:23 am

First off, welcome to the site hi

It definitely sounds like the Turn Signal Switch might be bad....if in fact all the fuses are good. The left and right side lamps are on different circuits, and have separate fuses. The rear lights have 2 things in common...the Turn Signal Switch, and G401 (ground for all rear lights). If you lost the ground somehow, your ALC Compressor would most likely be INOP as well, as it also shares that ground. The ground is located rear of the RH wheel house in the trunk. You'll have to remove the trunk "carpet" to get to it.

As for the 3rd brake light....It should light up no matter what. The power feed for it comes directly from the Stop Lamp Switch (on the brake pedal), and is before the Turn Signal Switch in the schematic. It's possible that the bulbs are burnt out, or something else is wrong with that circuit.
I'd check the bulbs first.
Back to top Go down
jsevans0126
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you for the help. I checked the ground and it didn't look broke or shorted. But it's odd not having a third brake light. Is there a tail light assembly fuse? I checked the dashboard fuse box and the box under the hood but no fuses were bad but didn't see a tailight assembly fuse.
Back to top Go down
jsevans0126
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Also forgot to mention that I do have a bulb that was blown would that cause the rest to stop working?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:15 pm

No, a bulb won't kill the rest of the circuit, UNLESS somehow the filament broke off and landed at the base inside the bulb causing a short, therefore blowing the fuse. BUT, the LH and RH tail lamps are on separate circuits....

There's a HZRD/STPLMP fuse in the RH rear fuse block under the back seat that you need to check.

Last edited by Abaddon on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jsevans0126
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Alright I will check that, just new to these cars so figuring out where things are still. Thank you for all your help. Nobody around where I live knows much about them and I can't find parts around either.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 pm

jsevans0126 wrote:
Alright I will check that, just new to these cars so figuring out where things are still. Thank you for all your help. Nobody around where I live knows much about them and I can't find parts around either.

No worries. Would a schematic(s) help you at all?
Back to top Go down
jsevans0126
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:03 pm

I have never really looked at one so not sure if I would know how to read it. I'm not real good with electrical but I can do normal maintenance. Like I changed my wheel bearings when I bought it myself. But as far as electrical I'm a dummy. Lol
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert

Name : Matt
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:37 pm

If you have a multimeter and a buddy you can test for voltage at all the wires.
Back to top Go down
jsevans0126
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Ok I looked more into it after work and what happened makes sense, all four lights were blown in the back. One had moisture in it cause I have a cracked tail light and it blew all four. I'm guessing the moisture shorted it out and caused them to blow. Thank you to all who gave input, I appreciate it a lot.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:20 pm

I have a somewhat similar issue that just came to my attention today.  My 17 yr old drives the Riv now, and her friends pointed out that the brake lights are not working.  Did some investigating, and found all the turn signals work, the exterior lights all work except the 3rd brake light has quit, which I had replaced just a couple years ago.  The rear lights are all on, none burned out, when I start it up.  Stepping on the brake pedal does not result in brake lights lighting up.  I swapped out the HZRD/STPLMP fuse, and the LH and RH EXT fuses from the side of dash fuse box, and checked the ground in the trunk which is solid.  None of these did anything for the brake lights.  

Any suggestions?  Is it possible the apparently prematurely burned 3rd brake light would cause the brake lights to malfunction?  Is there a fuse I may have missed?  BTW, I had the multiswitch replaced with NOS a couple years ago, so that shouldn't be an issue. Almost forgot, the ABS light has been on for a couple months.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert

Name : Charlie
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
I have a somewhat similar issue that just came to my attention today.  My 17 yr old drives the Riv now, and her friends pointed out that the brake lights are not working.  Did some investigating, and found all the turn signals work, the exterior lights all work except the 3rd brake light has quit, which I had replaced just a couple years ago.  The rear lights are all on, none burned out, when I start it up.  Stepping on the brake pedal does not result in brake lights lighting up.  I swapped out the HZRD/STPLMP fuse, and the LH and RH EXT fuses from the side of dash fuse box, and checked the ground in the trunk which is solid.  None of these did anything for the brake lights.  

Any suggestions?  Is it possible the apparently prematurely burned 3rd brake light would cause the brake lights to malfunction?  Is there a fuse I may have missed?  BTW, I had the multiswitch replaced with NOS a couple years ago, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Almost forgot, the ABS light has been on for a couple months.  

Dunno but if you have to replace the 3rd light, might as well start there and see if that fixes it.

What is a NOS that you replaced the multiswitch with? Im searching but not finding answers.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado

Name : Larry
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:40 am

Check the switch at the brake pedal. Might be out of adjustment or defective. Any problems with the cruise control? The brake light switch cancels the cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 am

Yep. It sounds like the Brake Switch took a dump....if all other lights work except brake lights and 3rd brake light, it's more than likely the switch. In a rare case, I suppose Ground G302 could be the cause, but I know for a fact there are other things that share that ground.

Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Tai lights & brake lights not working   Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:20 am

Yes, the brake switch is what I suspect is the issue at this point. Will check it out this weekend.

Charlie, NOS = New Old Stock, as in new original OEM parts.
Back to top Go down

Tai lights & brake lights not working
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1