HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Helpful link on Tuning for Smaller SC Pulleys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator

Name : Aaron
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Helpful link on Tuning for Smaller SC Pulleys   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

This guy has a lot of mods, but no intercooler, and running a 3.0" pulley with zero KR:

http://www.davetech.net/car-tuning.htm

'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch

'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert

Name : Codith
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Helpful link on Tuning for Smaller SC Pulleys   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 pm

so with the purchase of high capacity injectors and a powertuner, this can be done if you take some time tuning it right?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator

Name : Aaron
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Helpful link on Tuning for Smaller SC Pulleys   Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 pm

This is the kind of tuning I'm doing right now, when I have the time for it. Here's what I've learned so far:

1) Ambient temps are a big deal. I can tune in my 3.2" pulley at 55F, but when it warms up to 65F I see KR again, so I have to add more fuel. What I've done is create a tune for every 5 change (I know, it sounds crazy). I'll probably end up using the "warmest" tune for everyday driving, but for the track I'll want it more optimized.

2) With a given SC pulley size, as ambient temps rise you'll find that adding fuel either doesn't remove the KR, or the mix just gets so rich that it hurts performance. At a certain temp, you can tell you've reached the limit when your O2 values go up past the 980 range. At this point, it's time to move up a pulley size (lower boost). My car currently likes a 3.2" under 55F, a 3.3" up to 75F, and a 3.4" above that.

3) 3.1" and smaller pulleys require bigger injectors, and probably more mods. You must tune for the injectors, and you should get a stronger fuel pump w/ bigger wiring to provide the added fuel pressure. In the above case, I think he had ported/polished heads, ported/polished/wrapped exhaust manis, cam, very cool plugs, and a PCM tune in order to go down to the 3.0".

4) Fuel/octane must be consistent. When you push the SC pulley size envelope, you are so close to knocking that just dropping from 93 to 92 octane can make a difference. Also, bad gas from an unknown source can screw up everything. For this reason, I try to use 94 octane gas from the same station, even from the same pump if I can.

5) Most with experience tuning their cars will tell you that a car with a SC pulley too large for its mods can be tuned to outperform a car with a pulley too small for its mods. Boost is not the answer in making power, it's flow that's the key.

6) An intercooler fixes a lot of the above concerns. It's expensive, but it's the safest and easiest way to run smaller SC pulleys, imo.

'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch

'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Helpful link on Tuning for Smaller SC Pulleys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1