Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Parking break wire for back up camera?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

Parking break wire for back up camera? Empty
PostSubject: Parking break wire for back up camera?   Parking break wire for back up camera? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 12:22 am

Hi.

Parking break wire for back up camera? 2015-011

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P3400BH?tab=overview

I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-P3400bh off of creigslist for cheep. The problem is bluetooth functions don't work properly, and the head unit keeps telling me that I can't use it while in a moving vehicle, which means I need to wire in the parking break to solve at least one of those problems.

But I read somewhere online that my bluetooth won't work without being hooked up to the parking break. So, how would I hook up the head unit to think my transmission is like, never in park? because I don't wanna have to look at annoying attention screens, like ever.

It's not like I'm gunna be watching DVD movies while driving, but it would be a lot more convenient overall if those annoying messages never show up.

Any ideas on how to get parking break hooked up to it, like a back up camera uses but make it think the circuit is always engaged, so I don't have to see annoying notices while I'm driving which are very distracting when I just wanna pick my song and drive?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Parking break wire for back up camera?   Parking break wire for back up camera? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 1:40 am

You can either get a relay and do it the old fashioned way (12v switched power activates relay, grounds the parking brake wire), or you can buy one of the micro-bypasses on eBay or Amazon. These are the better option because there's less wiring and they fit very well in the tight space that we have. Some headunits let you just ground the parking brake wire and leave it like that, but most newer/namebrand stuff doesn't let you. Alternatively, you can just get a physical switch connect one end to ground and the other to parking brake, and flick it everytime instead of using the micro-bypass, but who wants to do that?

Not to mention that some insurance companies won't pay out if you wreck with a relay/switch. This is why I like the micro because if you wrap the whole wiring harness in electric tape like I do (makes it much easier to manage) you can hide it under the electric tape and no one will ever know.
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict
c0reyl

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Parking break wire for back up camera?   Parking break wire for back up camera? EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 5:41 am

I have no idea how to set it up on my head unit though. What wires do I hook up to the pioneer harness and what color wires I need to hook up to what. As of right now my head unit is only hooked up to ground, 12 volt power and the remote is hooked up to my car lighter socket cause I could never make sense of the harness diagram.

So yeah not really sure how to fool the head unit into thinking the parking break circuit is always on because I don't even know what wires are what or what device other than relay helps or even how to hook up said relay or whatever else device.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Parking break wire for back up camera?   Parking break wire for back up camera? EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm

It should just be matching the colors on the 2 harnesses (Pioneer harness, GM adapter harness). The long, light green wire on the Pioneer harness is the parking brake wire. It needs to be grounded in order to bypass the parking bake, but Pioneer only allows the bypass if the ground is made after the ignition is turned on.

This is the bypass me and my friends used. Works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIYBypass-Double-Pulse-Bypass-for-ALL-AVH-PIONEER-PARKING-BRAKE-VIDEO-Override-/120859970465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c23d0cba1

I'm assuming you already have all this stuff, but if not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-STEREO-RADIO-KIT-DASH-INSTALLATION-MOUNTING-TRIM-BEZEL-W-WIRING-HARNESS-/300829845436?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3ABuick%7CModel%3ARiviera&hash=item460adb27bc&vxp=mtr

Once you have all that it's literally just matching the colors (white with black stripe to white with black stripe, purple to purple, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking break wire for back up camera?   Parking break wire for back up camera? Empty

Back to top Go down

Parking break wire for back up camera?
Page 1 of 1