Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas

Go down 
+3
Abaddon
matt270avian
premature jack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
premature jack
Special

Name : premature jack
Merit : 0

Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  Empty
PostSubject: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

I serviced my car (1995 Buick Riviera; series 1 3800 supercharged) prior to a long trip and added lucas oil stabilizer to the oil, their transmission additive in the transmission service and their power steering additive to a slightly low but perfectly functioning power steering system. I noticed an instant tightness in the steering at low rpms.My trip was long intervals of 350 miles on straight highway so I missed the severity of the issue. When I finally got my car in I could barely turn the steering wheel and was told I needed a new power steering pump and rack and pinion to the tune of over $1000. I had expected to need a ps flush...maybe a pump and can't afford $750 in parts right now. I hoped the local kid at the midas lacked in riviera knowledge and wanted to seek a second opinion. I could hear the pump whining and my car only has around 70,000 miles.
I go to drive away and can't turn the key which prompts me to raise and lower the tilt steering. The whole steering column falls limp and I can see the alloy of the steering column snapped on the left side. My steering now appears loose other than the whole column itself seeming like it is going to break. Am I going to be able to fix this on a college student budget?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Back to top Go down
premature jack
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks Matt. I was wondering if these are separate issues. If I have a ps pump out, as well as needing a rack and pinion. I saw one where the guy welded the column where mine had broke. If I have to get a used column, a ps pump and a new rack and pinion she may be in the garage for a year or two. What a shame.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 2:18 pm

premature jack wrote:
Thanks Matt. I was wondering if these are separate issues. If I have a ps pump out, as well as needing a rack and pinion. I saw one where the guy welded the column where mine had broke. If I have to get a used column, a ps pump and a new rack and pinion she may be in the garage for a year or two. What a shame.

I don't understand why you need a pump, AND a rack. That doesn't make sense. The only reason you would need a rack, AND a pump, is if the rack was puking fluid, ran the fluid extremely low, and in turn burned up the pump. That's really the only way you'd need both.

As for the column....find one in a junk yard complete and just swap everything over, or have someone weld it like you've seen. Your column breaking like that is EXTREMELY rare. The pins wearing out however is an EXTREMELY common problem.

Why did you put Lucas in the system? scratch
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Once you resolve the steering column issue, I would try just flushing the PS fluid and using good clean fluid. Why did you put Lucas anything in anywhere in there? Change your transmission fluid soon please. There's nothing as good as clean fresh plain old trans fluid for you transmission.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 12:36 pm

premature jack wrote:
I serviced my car (1995 Buick Riviera; series 1 3800 supercharged) prior to a long trip and added lucas oil stabilizer to the oil, their transmission additive in the transmission service and their power steering additive to a slightly low but perfectly functioning power steering system. I noticed an instant tightness in the steering at low rpms.My trip was long intervals of 350 miles on straight highway so I missed the severity of the issue. When I finally got my car in I could barely turn the steering wheel and was told I needed a new power steering pump and rack and pinion to the tune of over $1000. I had expected to need a ps flush...maybe a pump and can't afford $750 in parts right now. I hoped the local kid at the midas lacked in riviera knowledge and wanted to seek a second opinion. I could hear the pump whining and my car only has around 70,000 miles.
I go to drive away and can't turn the key which prompts me to raise and lower the tilt steering. The whole steering column falls limp and I can see the alloy of the steering column snapped on the left side. My steering now appears loose other than the whole column itself seeming like it is going to break. Am I going to be able to fix this on a college student budget?

Probably not, unless you have (a) the cash to pay the parts and labor (b) the day or two, the parts, and the tools it will take to do it yourself.

I can see how you got into this hole. The problem with adding any additive to vehicle fluids is that there is not really any "mechanic in the can" to reverse the wear and tear, damage or design flaw that led to the problem in the first place. You probably did not factor for that, and I think I understand.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Abaddon makes a good point: power steering issues shouldn't cause rack failure, but it's possible the bad rack caused the power steering pump to fail. Adding Lucas to the PS pump likely had nothing to do with anything.

About 100k miles ago, I found my PS pump was low on fluid. I added a little Lucas PS additive/fluid to bring it up to level, and haven't had a problem since. I normally don't use additives, but in that case I did the research and it seemed like the right move. In the case of an internal PS leak, the Lucas product can help seals expand, stopping the leaks.

Lucas won't always fix the problem, but it shouldn't cause problems, either, so long as it's used correctly.

I also agree with albertj that a problem existed before you added the Lucas.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
premature jack
Special

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 2:52 pm

It looks like I'm catching a little grief for putting the lucas in...everything was fine I just figured it might help the seals in the lon run. The car sat for about 3 years before I had it since the owner was unable to drive.
It seems the general consensus is to take the lucas out of the tranny as well if there was no problem. I have had good experience with the stuff on my higher mileage vehicles. Its has taken away ticks, softened shifting noticeably etc.
I will seek out a new (used) steering column looks like I can find one pulled for about $80. It does say blue which is not the color of my vehicle. Is there a part that shows other than the covers that would cause me to need a beige one? I want to keep my car since I really serviced her good; new coupler on the supercharger. Etc
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I don't think there is a color for steering columns. The clam shell covering the upper column is removable so you would just use yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 4:12 pm

The flak was mainly from me so I'll clarify a bit. I'm not a big fan of additives unless you have a specific problem you are trying to hide (which I don't like either). These transmissions are very sensitive to ... anything besides clean fluid. The only additive I like is a good injector cleaner in the gas tank every now and then (once an oil change or so), and only from a quality source. Lucas and Techron are the two I would consider using. I don't like Lucas because they push it so hard at the counter at a lot of stores, so I figure it must be total snake oil wink

Otherwise, drain and fill... drain and fill!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I have been using Lucas Oil Treatment and Lucas Octane Booster for years. Those are the only 2 things I would add to my car. Anything you add to a transmission or P/S system is only going to delay the inevitable IMO. P/S and transmissions are quite alike, (aside from the 9 million parts that a tranny has), and both require clean fluid. When the fluid becomes anything but clean, or the viscosity is changed, you're adding more wear and tear to the entire system, and more importantly, more fluid pressure. I've tried various "additives" over the years, most of which all ended badly, or never "worked as intended" in the first place. The worst stuff IMO is anything "Stop Leak". Yes, it swells up seals and makes them softer to stop a leak. Although, if the seals are old and brittle enough, or leaking too much already (needing replacement), it'll only make the leak worse.

BG fluids are amazing btw. I don't think the normal consumer can purchase them, but we have all of their machines. Fuel Injection/Intake, Trans, Brake Fluid. We recently laughed away their P/S "flush" machine that they tried to sell us on. Everyone in the shop thought it was stupid. I can accomplish what their fancy machine can do with a plastic "T" and some rubber hose. That, and we don't recommend putting ANYTHING in the P/S system besides the proper fluid....or convert it over to Dex VI. That shit is awesome. I think I'll start putting it in my cereal puke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas    Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas  Empty

Back to top Go down

Power steering pump and rack/pinion failure after adding lucas
Page 1 of 1