HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 Hogan Downpipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:38 pm

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, my Hogan 3" downpipe is installed.

The bad news is, no write-up. The 4-bolt flange was so rusted, that they weren't even bolts anymore. I had to take it to a shop. They had to heat up the top nuts to get them off as well - I couldn't have done this with my home setup. Some of you may be luckier, though - this car has probably seen every Winter since '98, hench the locked up flange. If you live in a southern state, you might be able to tackle this job yourself.

I'm putting my Park Ave. chromes on today, and I'll take pics of the new DP while I'm down there and post 'em up later.

Oh, and performance has VERY much increased. I'm sure I was getting 1-2* of KR or more with my 3.5" pulley - this DP seems to have really woke the car up and got rid of any KR. It feels as though I've gained 20 HP, which is entirely possible because it freed up lost horses on the extra boost I'm getting.

Everyone should buy this downpipe if it fits your year Riv. Great supporting mod to the smaller pulley.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
avatar

Name : Dave
Age : 56
Location : In The AZ Oven
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4500
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 am

That's a bummer you had to take it to a shop to install. But at least it's done, eh? Post up an installed pic or 2 when you have a chance. I had hoped to work on mine this afternoon, but things didn't go real well on my 68's exhaust project. I now have to take it to a local shop to hang the exhaust system I bought. Thought I would be able to do it at home, but it really turned into a PITA without a lift, and questionable fitment. But I got my headers on, and did a short TEST drive with open headers... hehehe. Saturday a.m. I drive it a couple miles to the muffler shop to finish the job. Hope I don't wake anyone up at 9am!
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:25 am

1998 Riv wrote:
That's a bummer you had to take it to a shop to install. But at least it's done, eh? Post up an installed pic or 2 when you have a chance. I had hoped to work on mine this afternoon, but things didn't go real well on my 68's exhaust project. I now have to take it to a local shop to hang the exhaust system I bought. Thought I would be able to do it at home, but it really turned into a PITA without a lift, and questionable fitment. But I got my headers on, and did a short TEST drive with open headers... hehehe. Saturday a.m. I drive it a couple miles to the muffler shop to finish the job. Hope I don't wake anyone up at 9am!

What kind of headers did you pick up?
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:39 am

Hey Buapo, you said you're getting extra boost now. Have you actually seen this on a gauge or scan tool? I ask because typically opening the exhaust will give less boost. More flow, but less boost.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
avatar

Name : Dave
Age : 56
Location : In The AZ Oven
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4500
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 am

SpaceBar wrote:

What kind of headers did you pick up?

Sorry if that was confusing, I was refering to headers for my 68 GS350. I'm not likely to put headers on the Riv.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:27 am

1998 Riv wrote:
SpaceBar wrote:

What kind of headers did you pick up?

Sorry if that was confusing, I was refering to headers for my 68 GS350. I'm not likely to put headers on the Riv.


Oh sorry. wink I was confused cause I thought I read you had pems for the car. bonk
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
1998 Riv
Expert
avatar

Name : Dave
Age : 56
Location : In The AZ Oven
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4500
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:33 am

Yeah, I have a front PEM and the DP ready to install.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:41 pm

AA wrote:
Hey Buapo, you said you're getting extra boost now. Have you actually seen this on a gauge or scan tool? I ask because typically opening the exhaust will give less boost. More flow, but less boost.

Looking back on my post, I see I wasn't that clear:

Buapo wrote:
which is entirely possible because it freed up lost horses on the extra boost I'm getting.

I was referring to the extra boost from the 3.5" SC pulley. I am most likely seeing less boost, as you say - I was just commenting on how I'm actually able to UTILIZE my extra boost now, because of the better flowing exhuast.

Oh, and here's a crappy pic:



As you can see, he put new studs in. Had I known I was going to go through all this at the shop, I would have just bought the high-flow cat to go with it. The labor would have been the same.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Wasn't doubting you have more power, a downpipe is surely a huge improvement. The better exhaust flow lowers boost, which should lower KR. But you get more hp because you're moving more air overall. Bet you could run a 3.4" safely in cooler weather.

Now the main thing holding you back is air flow through the engine. A set of high ratio rockers would give you a similar gain to what you just experienced, mainly above 4k RPM. If you want a real kick in the pants, look into rockers or a cam as your next mod. I like rockers, they feel like VTEC kicking in!

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:34 pm

I'd love to go rockers next. Damn modbug....

So Aaron... you wanna help me install? I'll bring the beer.... smile
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Buapo wrote:
I'd love to go rockers next. Damn modbug....

So Aaron... you wanna help me install? I'll bring the beer.... smile

Just make sure you start drinking towards the end. wink
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Sure, you bring the beer, I'll do the write-up! Yeah, If you really need help, I could lend a hand.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:06 pm

ZZP is out of their modified rockers. Then I realized I don't even know which set to go with. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:02 pm

I recommend these. The 1.9s require you change out the valve springs:

http://www.intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3800-YTRR-yyy&Category_Code=HCV&Product_Count=2


_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:23 am

shocked Good lord, $500? Sounds like a springtime mod.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:33 am

Buapo wrote:
shocked Good lord, $500? Sounds like a springtime mod.

You gotta pay to play. wink
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:40 am

I already spent all my money. frown

"Betta luck next time, kid..."

I need to play more poker... damn, I can't wait until college starts up again. So many stupid freshman poker players...
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 am

Buapo wrote:
I already spent all my money. frown

"Betta luck next time, kid..."

I need to play more poker... damn, I can't wait until college starts up again. So many stupid freshman poker players...

Don't pick on the poor little freshman!

I have the Indians out here picking on me with their casinos. I have 7 casinos around me here in Palm Springs. They keep stealing my money. frown
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:15 am

Could go with 1.8:1 ratio for $100 less. But those are a deal compared to mine, which were about the same price with push rods sold separately ($100).

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
avatar

Name : Ben
Age : 32
Location : Eastlake, OH
Joined : 2007-07-17
Post Count : 691
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:30 pm

SpaceBar wrote:
I have the Indians out here picking on me with their casinos. I have 7 casinos around me here in Palm Springs. They keep stealing my money. frown

I'm not a big fan of casinos. Just tournament play poker - it's my best game. Casino tourneys are awful, though - you have to go all in within the first 10 mins of the game if you're going to stay alive. And trust me... the freshman deserve it. I had AJ offsuit, and raised preflop - got one caller. Flop came AAJ, full house for me. I checked, and this freshman pushes all in. Really, really stupid in his position. I called, of course, but given that I raised preflop should have told him there was a good chance of there being at least an ace in my hand.

His hand was a total bluff. Took all his money on that hand.. heck, paid for a tank of gas (well, part of a tank anyway).

AA wrote:
Could go with 1.8:1 ratio for $100 less.

What would the performance difference be? If it's only 5 less HP, then I'd go that route - however, if it's 10 or more, screw it - I'll just save up and have that as my next big mod. But would I need a FWI to go with the rockers or would my gutted K&N be sufficient?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:50 pm

I ran rockers + 3.4" with a gutted box for awhile; saw a big difference after adding the FWI. My engine was starving for air.

The difference between 1.8s and 1.9s could be 3 hp or it could be 15 hp, it depends on how modded you are. With just a couple bolt ons, I don't think the difference is noticeable (but gains aren't as big either). Later on, when the engine is breathing more, I'd rather have 1.9s because you can't go much higher that that. You'd know you're letting as much air through the valves as possible without going to a cam.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Ryan
Age : 29
Location : Port Richey, FL
Joined : 2007-02-27
Post Count : 1029
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:49 pm

once my paychecks start rolling in, the hogan 3 in. DP along with a hogan hi flow cat.. i'm pretty sure my cat is bad, I have a service engine light now, and the guy at the muffler shop said it was so.. I want to try to scan it first and see what the code is, the only thing is, I don't have a scanner :< and I don't want to bring it somewhere to have it done because they'll just be like OH IT'S YOUR ENGINE.. YOU NEED A NEW ONE.. 3 GRAND PLEASE.. so :/ but yeah lol, knowing for sure the hogan dp fits is nice to know now
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Patrick
Age : 30
Location : Quincy, MA
Joined : 2007-04-08
Post Count : 1199
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:40 am

RhinoFLA wrote:
once my paychecks start rolling in, the hogan 3 in. DP along with a hogan hi flow cat.. i'm pretty sure my cat is bad, I have a service engine light now, and the guy at the muffler shop said it was so.. I want to try to scan it first and see what the code is, the only thing is, I don't have a scanner :< and I don't want to bring it somewhere to have it done because they'll just be like OH IT'S YOUR ENGINE.. YOU NEED A NEW ONE.. 3 GRAND PLEASE.. so :/ but yeah lol, knowing for sure the hogan dp fits is nice to know now

Almost any autoparts chain (advance or autozone) maybe even sears will scan your car for free and tell you what the code(s) are. Just go in and ask them to scan for you.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
dreww
Junkie
avatar

Location : Dallas
Joined : 2007-04-10
Post Count : 851
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:04 am

AA wrote:
Could go with 1.8:1 ratio for $100 less. But those are a deal compared to mine, which were about the same price with push rods sold separately ($100).

$100 less yes, but with the 1.9 (or really the springs they require) means you can bump your shiftpoints when he gets a tuner. That extra few hundred rpms makes a noticeable difference IMHO.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Hogan Downpipe   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 am

Yep, that extra confidence at 6000 RPM is a good thing.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
 
Hogan Downpipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Hogan Downpipe
» Ben Hogan v.s Sam Snead
» Wrapping my downpipe
» Downpipe and highflo- cat installed today.
» WTB 944 headers, downpipe and exhaust...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: