Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance
Merit : 2

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:15 am

Hello, i've owned my 97 rivi for about over 1yr and a half now and where to being with the parts replacement/upgrades.. First, when i initially purchased the car it was my second 3800 series 2(first being a 95 ninety eight with 200k and running strong, someone hit me and bent my frame) that being said I was fimilar with the motor because I was constantly working under and tinkering with it and I know it's reliability.

That being said i've been looking for a s/c 3800 ever since I had the N/A one that i though was enough power and pull. Anyway, not to bore you guys, I finally located the riviera and instantly feel in love my first test drive was like a dream! Just feeling the power of the sc for the first time in my life coupled to a V6 and a relaible one at that was the best(nacho lebre) lol. I found the car online for $1900 on craigslist with about 132kmi (I wasn't scared because I know their worth and reliability). That being said, I met up with the guy did an inspection (that I believed to be thorough) and made my purchase for $1200 I was ecstatic!

Well, i found out that the sub frame had been rusted, hell, the whole underbidy went through some rust I remember the guy mentioning that the exhaust system was replaced most likely due too that reason. I had no idea that replace was so expensive and extensive just to find the parts and the right mechanic that won't tax you to death! Got it done for $350 parts and labor! Besides that i've had too replace the fuel line due to rust, vavle cover gaskets (because i've read that it could leak and cause a fire which scared the hell put of me..), replaced the pulleys not before i found it broke when i hear a loud noise and the belt ate through the pulley and was still running! Lol. God was it a pain in the ass too change that sc belt and pulleys!

Next, just the other day i've smelled gas only to find out one of my hoses leading directly into the injectors had a tiny hole in it leaking fuel everywhere and I was no where near home! I had to type a rag to it just too get home, which of course did not but, still leak i was sooo nervous and sitting in texas heat and texas traffic! I eventually got home and repaired it. Had my f r ont lower passenger control arm replaced. Now, my next repair is my lower ball joint and the driver side! Whew, hopefully I didn't bore you guys are write to much. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:34 am

Welcome to the site Terrance hi
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks! I don't know how to upload pictures or I would have done so..
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Welcome, hope your luck improves with the Riv.
Surprised rust is an issue down there, was the car a transplant from up north?

Jbird
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 pm

WELCOME TERRANCE.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank you. Yes, car orignally came from Indiana, as i has the dealer sticker on the back im planning on scraping off eventually.
Back to top Go down
ZCampbell
Rookie

Name : Zach Campbell
Merit : 0

NEW MEMBER Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER   NEW MEMBER EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Welcome and greetings
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast