Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust Empty
PostSubject: Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust   Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello,

I have a 97 Riviera S/C with 85000 miles.  It is not driven in the snow and hardly ever during the winter months.  I have noticed that on the brake and fuel lines I have some surface rust, nothing bad or rusted through.  I was wondering if there is something I can do/apply to prevent the lines from rusting further.  I was thinking of POR-15 but not sure if that can be used on the lines.  

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust   Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I would just replace the lines with coated lines (most parts stores sell them). I did on my Riv. Elsewhere on this site I posted pics/text of how I built a pressure bleeder out of a garden sprayer, the job went lots quicker because it takes almost no time to blow fluid into the lines under gentle pressure.

Brake lines are plated steel, if they rust it's the structural substance not a coating that is compromised. You can seemingly slow down the rust by painting - i used rustoleum, actually - but that won't buy you much time, I'd say. I think it's cheaper/less hassle, in the long run, to just replace the line.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust   Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 5:19 pm

One chemical I've used for treating rusty parts is Ospho (Phosphoric Acid). Link: http://www.ospho.com/

This stuff is affordable and goes a long way in use. Take steel wool or a wire brush and apply Ospho to the rusted areas. You want to brush the surface firmly, getting the product into all the pits and crevices, until the rust changes to a silver/pewter color.

Ospho is not a protective layer, so must be painted after treatment. This makes it difficult to treat the line while on the car, but certain areas can be treated, masked and given a little paint from a rattle can.

PS - I've driven mine for 12 Ohio winters and my lines have surface rust, but still holding strong. They may eventually rust through, but I change my brake fluid yearly, so at least the insides of the lines are in good shape.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust   Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake/Fuel Lines Surface Rust
Page 1 of 1