The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in

Share | 
 

 FGT supercharger swap project

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
jbird
Fanatic
avatar

Name : Jeff
Location : Cleveland area
Joined : 2013-11-11
Post Count : 250
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:54 pm

that is awesome! shocked

Look forward to the Dyno numbers!
great work,
Jbird
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Member


Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 58
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Hmm...


Last edited by DeepFrozen on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karma
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Andrew
Age : 34
Location : Ontario, Canada
Joined : 2008-01-14
Post Count : 1949
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

I giggled like a little girl seeing the blower sticking out of the hood like that. More machining p0rn please!

_________________
Warning!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Karma wrote:
I giggled like a little girl seeing the blower sticking out of the hood like that. More machining p0rn please!

There's plenty lol



I'm pretty proud of that IAC valve body on the blower. It just came out great. I haven't even technically used it yet

Oh also in this picture is pretty much the whole LS ignition coil retrofit. The messy wiring is just a temporary harness for testing. I'll make a nice tidy one soon. The coil mount plates on the valve covers are water-jetted. The stands that you can't see I made on a CNC lathe. The enclosure for the output module board sitting where the ICM goes was pocketed on a 2-axis CNC bridgeport mill. The smoked lexan cover water-jetted.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 pm

current news


I just got some bigger injectors (for the 3rd time on this car). Even with an under-sized throttle body and the biggest pulleys, this churns out more airflow than the m90. In my logs I'm seeing maf values like 1000hz higher for the same rpm at wot. I don't bother with the g/s calibrated values at this point because my whole tune is scaled so they are not real life numbers.
Anyway with 80lb injectors on E85, I max out on flow in the upper 5000rpm neighborhood. So the car feels really strong up to that point and then I have to let off or throttle down boost (which I can now do thanks to the boost controller) But the bottom line is I'm held back by fuel.
I got a set of injector dynamics 1300cc (124lb) injectors. So now we will see what the fuel pump can support... I have a feeling i'm going to be changing that too.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
avatar

Name : Jeff
Location : Cleveland area
Joined : 2013-11-11
Post Count : 250
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Those injectors look HUGE!
Sounds like the pursuit of higher performance is like a game of whack-a-mole with a mallet made of Benjamins. gavel
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 am

jbird wrote:
Those injectors look HUGE!

They're actually smaller. The bit above that metal clip is just an extension neck so they fit this application.
So now I guess I'll install them, tune, and determine where I start seeing fuel pressure start dropping and keep it below that point until I can address that.



Back to top Go down
Karma
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Andrew
Age : 34
Location : Ontario, Canada
Joined : 2008-01-14
Post Count : 1949
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 am

gah, it all fits together just like it was made for it, because it was!

_________________
Warning!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4263
Merit : 179

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am

Seek a Psychiatrist rolleyes

Dude....nice lol
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
avatar

Name : Matt
Age : 22
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2680
Merit : 53

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:29 am

You had me giggling like a madman. Have any videos?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:55 pm

matt270avian wrote:
You had me giggling like a madman. Have any videos?

I aught to have a juicy video soon
I'm hoping to take a trip to the track for some test & tune on sunday as long as they stay open
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Seek a Psychiatrist rolleyes

Psychiatrists are for people that want to get better crazy
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4263
Merit : 179

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:32 pm

turtleman wrote:
Psychiatrists are for people that want to get better crazy

Well played, worthy adversary lmfao
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7041
Merit : 135

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 pm

I was wondering if there's any reason to cover the hood cutout somehow.
Back to top Go down
kylan_13
Member


Name : dylan
Location : livonia, michigan
Joined : 2013-09-22
Post Count : 77
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 am

Do your injectors fit with the connector being that low? I bought id1050x with adapters so the electrical connection would be higher and they are still very close.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

kylan_13 wrote:
Do your injectors fit with the connector being that low? I bought id1050x with adapters so the electrical connection would be higher and they are still very close.

It's close but they just make it with the stock valve cover height. My front valve cover has a .35" spacer under it and the injectors barely fit but the connectors wouldn't go on without some circumcision. I trimmed the outer shell a little and they plugged in fine. The EV6 connectors have a lot of unnecessary shrouding
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:13 pm

albertj wrote:
I was wondering if there's any reason to cover the hood cutout somehow.

I need to. Rain and stuff getting all up in there is no good.
For temporary purposes, I'm making up a plexiglass cover that's not going to look very good but cover it up for now.
Once everything is all finalized which will be on a different hood altogether, I'm going to have a specialized shop form up a cowl of sorts using another layer of metal from another factory hood so as to blend it all out so you almost don't notice the increased height (hopefully).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7041
Merit : 135

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm

turtleman wrote:
albertj wrote:
I was wondering if there's any reason to cover the hood cutout somehow.

I need to. Rain and stuff getting all up in there is no good.
For temporary purposes, I'm making up a plexiglass cover that's not going to look very good but cover it up for now.
Once everything is all finalized which will be on a different hood altogether, I'm going to have a specialized shop form up a cowl of sorts using another layer of metal from another factory hood so as to blend it all out so you almost don't notice the increased height (hopefully).

I see.

would it have less air resistance as a pass-thru scoop of some sort?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 31
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3621
Merit : 128

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:45 pm

The season is over and i'll be putting the turtle into hibernation after this weekend, here's the update.

FGT setup has some miles on it. - speaking of which, I've never seen my gas gauge go from freshly filled to about 3/4 so fast as today - no joke maybe 20min of driving
I did not make it to the track either of the two weekends I was planning because it was closed due to weather both times and it's probably for the best because as fate would have it, they would have pretty much been wasted days anyway.

The first week I figured out that my breaking up issue at full load was due to lack of fuel primarily on account of my easyperformance voltage booster quitting on me. It was working in pass-through and not boosting voltage like it's supposed to. I threw my old magnavolt voltage booster back in there which is a bit less juice but enough to eliminate the breaking up issue. I found out today that it's definitely still not enough but If I keep the boost down below 19psi or so, it keeps up and that's a nice bump in power still.
Oh the second day that I would have gone to the track, my old tuning laptop just sorta stopped booting up which kinda screwed me over too. That would have ended my 2nd would-be track day right away.

Today, I had some time and after getting my newer laptop set up for logging, I did some pretty thorough road testing and got some good info. The thing makes f**kin power. With the exhaust completely choked with stock mufflers, I was still seeing up to about 11300hz at the maf after 70% scaling (map ends at 11500). Boost currently is steady 20psi until I guess about 6k rpm and then it peaks up at like 23 and then fuel pressure very quickly starts disappearing. That's with the cutout closed and on that note...


After my driving around I spotted this and was like wtf obviously


then I looked underneath and saw this. Both new mufflers are literally busting open at the seams.  pimp They can't handle the 3800 powers

What else?... I got the LS ignition setup all done with new wiring. It's been working fine. I installed my electric water pump. Works great as far as I can tell. All the wiring I did for the LS ignition, water pump, IC pump, etc. I integrated into the factory fuse/relay box under the hood using the empty spots in there so there's no more relays and shit just hangin out places. New boost controller works awesome which is a godsend after the nightmare I went through trying to make the easyperformance one work for me.


I've got some in-car footage on my gopro - i'll trim all the nonesense out and post it soon. Nothing too nuts
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
avatar

Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 6496
Merit : 87

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am

That was fun. How much power does it take to bust mufflers?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7041
Merit : 135

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 am

turtleman wrote:
The season is over and i'll be putting the turtle into hibernation after this weekend, here's the update.

FGT setup has some miles on it. - speaking of which, I've never seen my gas gauge go from freshly filled to about 3/4 so fast as today - no joke maybe 20min of driving
I did not make it to the track either of the two weekends I was planning because it was closed due to weather both times and it's probably for the best because as fate would have it, they would have pretty much been wasted days anyway.

The first week I figured out that my breaking up issue at full load was due to lack of fuel primarily on account of my easyperformance voltage booster quitting on me. It was working in pass-through and not boosting voltage like it's supposed to. I threw my old magnavolt voltage booster back in there which is a bit less juice but enough to eliminate the breaking up issue. I found out today that it's definitely still not enough but If I keep the boost down below 19psi or so, it keeps up and that's a nice bump in power still.
Oh the second day that I would have gone to the track, my old tuning laptop just sorta stopped booting up which kinda screwed me over too. That would have ended my 2nd would-be track day right away.

Today, I had some time and after getting my newer laptop set up for logging, I did some pretty thorough road testing and got some good info. The thing makes f**kin power. With the exhaust completely choked with stock mufflers, I was still seeing up to about 11300hz at the maf after 70% scaling (map ends at 11500). Boost currently is steady 20psi until I guess about 6k rpm and then it peaks up at like 23 and then fuel pressure very quickly starts disappearing. That's with the cutout closed and on that note...


After my driving around I spotted this and was like wtf obviously


then I looked underneath and saw this. Both new mufflers are literally busting open at the seams.  pimp They can't handle the 3800 powers

What else?... I got the LS ignition setup all done with new wiring. It's been working fine. I installed my electric water pump. Works great as far as I can tell. All the wiring I did for the LS ignition, water pump, IC pump, etc. I integrated into the factory fuse/relay box under the hood using the empty spots in there so there's no more relays and shit just hangin out places. New boost controller works awesome which is a godsend after the nightmare I went through trying to make the easyperformance one work for me.


I've got some in-car footage on my gopro - i'll trim all the nonesense out and post it soon. Nothing too nuts

...I wish I had pictures of my exhaust setup to show you. If it might interest you PM me about the PAU exhaust setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   

Back to top Go down
 
FGT supercharger swap project
Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Similar topics
-
» 84 murray mudding project
» My friends 73 AMC Gremlin-X project - Turbocharged GM LS
» Kawasaki mule 2510 Corbett hunting buggy project
» Project Peenemünde!
» tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: