Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Oil dipstick availability and part numbers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

Oil dipstick availability and part numbers Empty
PostSubject: Oil dipstick availability and part numbers   Oil dipstick availability and part numbers EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Alright, so I need a new dipstick. I have a '95 Riviera that is supercharged and the part number for that oil dipstick is 24504161...it is DISCONTINUED and unavailable. The next closest match for a suitable replacement is for the Series II motors and the part number is 12574822 and I can get one online. However, everything I've read says that it isn't compatible with a Series I supercharged motor (incorrect length maybe? idk.) could anyone verify whether or not I could use part #12574822 with my '95? The dealership was also no help in the matter. I would really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Oil dipstick availability and part numbers   Oil dipstick availability and part numbers EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 10:51 pm

billfrank85 wrote:
Alright, so I need a new dipstick. I have a '95 Riviera that is supercharged and the part number for that oil dipstick is 24504161...it is DISCONTINUED and unavailable. The next closest match for a suitable replacement is for the Series II motors and the part number is 12574822 and I can get one online. However, everything I've read says that it isn't compatible with a Series I supercharged motor (incorrect length maybe? idk.) could anyone verify whether or not I could use part #12574822 with my '95? The dealership was also no help in the matter. I would really appreciate it.

You probably want any GM dipstick from car of the same era that has the same length, GM probably discontinued making dipsticks with the handle like yours, but getting one that works should not be impossible. I would ask another forum member to measure the dipstick out of their 95 then go find an olds or buick or some such at a pick and pull.
Back to top Go down
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Oil dipstick availability and part numbers   Oil dipstick availability and part numbers EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Well I still have my dipstick...the problem is, the little plastic "plug" part that has the o-ring (that seals the tube when you insert it) is broke and just slides up and down the length of it. Would you be able to measure yours for me? Assuming you have a Series II SC'd engine. I can compare it to mine and if the measurements match I can happily order one. The tip of the dipstick to the "full" line and then the tip of the dipstick to the bottom of the handle would be perfect and much appreciated! rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil dipstick availability and part numbers   Oil dipstick availability and part numbers Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil dipstick availability and part numbers
Page 1 of 1