Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rounded lug nuts

Go down 
+2
th3fr4nchi5e
IFallsRon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Got half a tire rotation going but rounded off a stubby lug. First off, WTF is up with the short lugs? I have one or two on each wheel. It's hard to get a good bite with any kind of lug wrench or socket. Research says get an extractor. Probably a good thing for me to have as I've rounded a couple lugs on my Suburban, too.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Find a socket you dont care about ruining that is slightly smaller and hammer it on and use an impact gun to try to break it loose. Never used an extractor. Drilling right through the stud is what my dad has always done. Never seen a lugnut round out when using an impact gun though.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 9:01 am

Get yourself a proper sized deep socket and stop rounding off lugs! 19mm can sometimes be sloppy, although technically it's the correct size. See if a 3/4" socket has a tighter fit.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Get yourself a proper sized deep socket and stop rounding off lugs! 19mm can sometimes be sloppy, although technically it's the correct size. See if a 3/4" socket has a tighter fit.

Wow. How about you keep your pussy-ass advice to your self.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 pm

IFallsRon wrote:

deekster_caddy wrote:

WTF!
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 7:48 pm

IFallsRon wrote:

deekster_caddy wrote:

How about you don't ask questions if you can't understand a little sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 8:15 pm

IFallsRon wrote:

deekster_caddy wrote:

Were you not asking for advice?

IFallsRon wrote:
Got half a tire rotation going but rounded off a stubby lug. First off, WTF is up with the short lugs? I have one or two on each wheel. It's hard to get a good bite with any kind of lug wrench or socket. Research says get an extractor. Probably a good thing for me to have as I've rounded a couple lugs on my Suburban, too.

It seems that you were.

Although my initial comment had a bit of sarcasm in it, I was just trying to offer a helpful tip and lighten the situation. The exclamation point should have apparently been a "light sarcastic joke" disclaimer. My note about the 19mm socket being loose at times was quite serious and comes from experience. You asked about rounding off lugs, I suggested a reason why it might be happening and a solution. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. The stock "lug wrench" that comes with the spare can have a lot of play in it, I was suggesting something that might help out. If you don't like the way I said it, I apologize. Insulting me doesn't really help the situation.

Rereading it, I suppose you were only asking for advice about getting the rounded lug off. Seeing that the post above mine mentioned the best solution I'm aware of without an extractor (hammering on a socket you don't care about), I was still trying to be helpful so you wouldn't continue rounding off lugs in the future. Sorry that you are having a bad day. My understanding of this board was that we try to offer each other help. I offered what I thought was a helpful suggestion.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 4:39 pm

IFallsRon wrote:
First off, WTF is up with the short lugs? I have one or two on each wheel.
This is where someone replaced a cracked lug stud with ones from a local parts counter. Long ones won't fit without taking off the hub, but shorter ones can be inserted from the back with some persuading.

"Get yourself a proper sized deep socket and stop rounding off lugs!"
Quote :

Yeah, you're up to your neck and don't want to know what you should've done. But you know he's right - for next time...

If it were me, I'd give a set of extractors a try. Irwin makes a set. I don't like to replace lugs on these hubs when I don't need to.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

Rounded lug nuts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rounded lug nuts   Rounded lug nuts Empty

Back to top Go down

Rounded lug nuts
Page 1 of 1