Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

First Riv - '97 N/A

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Busted Knuckles
Special

Name : Gary Adrian
Merit : 0

First Riv - '97 N/A Empty
PostSubject: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 7:37 am

Greetings to all from flat, dry, treeless West Texas!

Been a fan of this body style for years, found an ad in Craiglist for this car for $750.  The guy had no key, but had a clear title.  We ended up at $350.  I loaded it up and hauled it to my locksmith and $100 later, I'm good to go.  It had been garage parked for 3 years, so I was a bit leery.  Emptied most of the gas out and added fresh.  Engine turned over 3 or 4 times and fired up.  Runs smooth, no misses, drove it a half mile and tranny appears to up and down shift fine.  267K miles, most put on by an old Real Estate Agent.  I don't know how much coffee he drank, but he sure spilled a lot! Gave it to his granddaughter who put the last 50K on it.
Exterior is the lighter of the two red/maroon colors with tan interior and sun/moon roof.  Clearcoat is junk in several areas, only got to the paint in one spot on the trunk lid.  8 door dings down the sides and that's it for body damage, hope to get 'em all rubbed out paintless.  Rubber back bumper has a pretty good ding, but easily repaired.  It has its share of little things, but overall I'm happy for my $450 investment. Pressure washed under the front end, zero rust anywhere under this thing - I'm amazed.  I was disappointed to see tell-tale signs of corrosion on the very tip of the hood, but the spot is only about the size of a silver dollar, so not too bad. Interior is in amazing shape, other than random coffee stains on the carpet.

Gotta get gaskets in it, one of their major reasons for P.O. not driving is the oil leak onto the back exhaust manifold.  I took the engine cover and oil filler spout off and used my borescope to check out what I could of the inside of the engine.  Clean as a whistle, zero sludge.  Think I got lucky, appears to have been well maintained.  I'd like to do a S/C swap, but will drive it awhile to make sure this is the car for me before I step into that upgrade. Intake and valve cover gaskets first and if that stops the leaks, I'm gonna drive it for awhile.  Most of the paint issues are on hood, roof and trunk, considering a 2-tone paint scheme - leaving most of it red, adding either pearl white or a black metallic on hood, roof and trunk.  This keeps me from doing a complete re-color and saving a lot of money since inside of doors, jambs, etc. won't need to be painted.

Plans are some 20's and 1" drop springs, paint and fix the few little things.  Then drive hell out of it!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 8:41 am

Welcome to the site hi
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Welcome Gary
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Welcome!

Special

Name : Gary Adrian
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks, folks!
Going to tackle the LIM and valve cover gaskets in the next day or two, this N/A engine looks to have some miles left in it.

I'm usually a big block Chevy guy, but have been looking for a street platform for E-85 and this one looks perfect. Forced induction and E-85 are a match made in heaven. I have a supplier for E-85 by the barrel, similar to race fuel.

Looking forward to learning about this ride and the engine. The car has been one of my favorites since way back - aside from 8th Gen, I really like the early stuff, particularly the boat tail models.

I will start a build thread as soon as I start working on the new engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Riv - '97 N/A   First Riv - '97 N/A Empty

Back to top Go down

First Riv - '97 N/A
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: