Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. Empty
PostSubject: Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.   Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 pm

I own a lovely white '96 Riv with about 170k on the odometer. It's my pride and joy. But I was driving home last evening going about 70mph, when my Riv, without warning, suddenly started making the oddest sound. It's kind of a whooshing sound. You know the sound your car makes when you suddenly go from driving on dry pavement to wet? That's what I thought it was at first, but the road was not wet and it didn't go away. It is definitely coming from the front of the car, but I can't tell what side. I did a little research and I think it may be a wheel bearing because it gets louder the faster I go, but I'm not sure because when I turn my steering wheel right or left there is no change. It shifts fine. The tires and brakes are fine. No vibration. Everything works fine, but I know something is making that whooshing sound. I put the car in neutral while going down the road to see if it was the trans gears, and it still makes the noise. I should also mention that there are no trouble codes, or warning lights.

Has anybody else had this happen to them? I would sure be interested in hearing any ideas or advice any of you may have. I'm just trying to keep my pet Riv alive.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.   Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 9:09 pm

check the black trim around the windshield for loose areas. If you have a loose area, glue it down with some silicone caulk. At speed loose areas will lift and 'whoosh.' Also its a longshot but if you have a sunroof check that it is closing properly and there are no flaws in the gasket.
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Thanks, Albert   Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 pm

albertj wrote:
check the black trim around the windshield for loose areas.  If you have a loose area, glue it down with some silicone caulk.  At speed loose areas will lift and 'whoosh.'  Also its a longshot but if you have a sunroof check that it is closing properly and there are no flaws in the gasket.

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't think it's wind noise. This is my fault because I did not define "at speed" in my post. I can start to detect the noise at about 8-10 mph, which I think is much too slow for wind noise. Also the noise does not vary in loudness except in relation to the speed. That is, the degree of loudness corresponds only to the speed of the car and does not waver if the car is going at a steady speed. Wind noise might vary slightly, as it sometimes happens when the side windows are not closed properly. I'll check my windshield molding anyway though. One never knows. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.   Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 am

Animator wrote:

albertj wrote:
check the black trim around the windshield for loose areas.  If you have a loose area, glue it down with some silicone caulk.  At speed loose areas will lift and 'whoosh.'  Also its a longshot but if you have a sunroof check that it is closing properly and there are no flaws in the gasket.

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't think it's wind noise. This is my fault because I did not define "at speed" in my post. I can start to detect the noise at about 8-10 mph, which I think is much too slow for wind noise. Also the noise does not vary in loudness except in relation to the speed. That is, the degree of loudness corresponds only to the speed of the car and does not waver if the car is going at a steady speed. Wind noise might vary slightly, as it sometimes happens when the side windows are not closed properly. I'll check my windshield molding anyway though. One never knows. Thanks again.

maybe a window is down a little and you did not know, check that they are fully up. check for loose inner fenders.

might be a vacuum leak, check the vac lines off of the intake manifold.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.   Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed. Empty

Back to top Go down

Please advise: My Riv drives fine, but it's making an odd noise at speed.
Page 1 of 1