The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Share
 

 Proper front Strut Bearing installation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4309
Merit : 185

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 12:19 pm

I had to replace a pair of Strut Bearings in an '06 DTS yesterday. They happen to have the same bearing and mount as the Riv does. There's been some previous discussions about bearing orientation, as it's shape is quite odd, and there isn't anything in the Service Manual or even GM service information about it. So, I took a couple of pics to show exactly how it should be installed.
(The problem that the Caddy had was the bearings were binding up, causing the spring to bind/release making a BONG BONG sound throughout the steering sweep).

The fattest part of the bearing needs to face the inner part of the vehicle (towards the engine). It should be installed on the side of the mount with the two plastic locating pins. The GM bearing has two molded lines sticking out that you can use as a reference point. Aftermarket bearings (like Moog) I believe have an arrow at that location.
Proper front Strut Bearing installation Strut_10
Proper front Strut Bearing installation Strut_11

This is how the Strut should look completely assembled, with the thickest part of the bearing facing opposite the Strut mount holes, or towards the engine.
Proper front Strut Bearing installation Strut_12

Can you mount them a different way? Yes. The bearing can be pushed onto the mount any direction, as there are no notches or holes that it locates to. However, installing the bearing any other way will cause premature bearing failure.

Just thought this might be some good info....
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Location : Cleveland area
Joined : 2013-11-11
Post Count : 307
Merit : 5

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for sharing!
I have purchase KYB struts & AC Delco Mounting plate & "bearing". I a accumulating parts to have installed in the spring after storage.
I haven't seen the angled art you show...have I gotten the wrong parts or is that an additional part I should get? Should I also replace spring isolators? More parts?
Thanks,
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4309
Merit : 185

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 1:06 pm

That giant angled part IS the bearing. It's a separate part of the mount and doesn't come with it. They have to be ordered separately.
If the rubber isolator is ok, don't bother replacing it. On this body car, there's enough spring touching the rubber that it typically doesn't wear out.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Location : Cleveland area
Joined : 2013-11-11
Post Count : 307
Merit : 5

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks, I will look into those.
Any brand you prefer or ones to stay away from.
I don't see those bearings listed on rock auto or our list in Info section, do you have a part#?
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4309
Merit : 185

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Ah! I see what's going on. I installed the Delco updated Strut Bearings in my Riv a couple years ago. The original setup had a separate bearing on top, with the angled part sitting underneath it. Same exact setup, just more pieces. The updated design is one piece like the photos I took.

Look here (RockAuto)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5623659&cc=1303322&jnid=511&jpid=10

That's the only kit that comes with the angled plate. The others do not. I suppose you could re-use your old ones as long as they aren't cracked or something. Either way, make sure you put them back on the right way!!! lol

UPDATED GM PARTS:

Strut Mount P/N 19208376

Strut Bearing P/N 15873303

These two need to be ordered at the same time. They are a different, updated design from the factory, and will not fit with any of the original parts (less pieces). This is a one piece bearing plate with the mount, instead of 3 or 4 pieces. It looks EXACTLY like the pics I posted above, not what RockAuto shows in the link. Either way, they will both work.


Last edited by Abaddon on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Location : Cleveland area
Joined : 2013-11-11
Post Count : 307
Merit : 5

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 2:35 pm

I see, cool.
Wanted to know I had what I needed.
Thanks,
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Age : 33
Location : Florida
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4394
Merit : 101

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 am

If using the rockauto style multi-bearing kit, what is the proper orientation of the actual bearing. Not the angled plate but the part that houses the bearing, what is top/bottom?

_________________
1996 with 254k miles, L32 4" FWI -> ported N* -> Ported Gen V w/3.0" Pulley, Stage 3 Phenolic I/C, ZZP FMHE, 1.84 RR, Headers and 3" pipe to mufflers, F-body brakes, and lowered on Eibachs. -RIP
AMG C400 White on black -daily
Proper front Strut Bearing installation Dsc_0110
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4309
Merit : 185

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
If using the rockauto style multi-bearing kit, what is the proper orientation of the actual bearing. Not the angled plate but the part that houses the bearing, what is top/bottom?

By the looks of it, the "clear" half has a lip on it, which tells me that it's a dust cover. That means that the black part faces towards the mount, and the clear part towards the strut.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Age : 33
Location : Florida
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4394
Merit : 101

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Mr.Riviera wrote:
If using the rockauto style multi-bearing kit, what is the proper orientation of the actual bearing. Not the angled plate but the part that houses the bearing, what is top/bottom?


By the looks of it, the "clear" half has a lip on it, which tells me that it's a dust cover. That means that the black part faces towards the mount, and the clear part towards the strut.

makes sense. Ill see how it fits when i do the front end tomorrow. feel like they didnt last and i dont know if i put them in upside down last time or if its just a side effect of eibach lowering shocks.

_________________
1996 with 254k miles, L32 4" FWI -> ported N* -> Ported Gen V w/3.0" Pulley, Stage 3 Phenolic I/C, ZZP FMHE, 1.84 RR, Headers and 3" pipe to mufflers, F-body brakes, and lowered on Eibachs. -RIP
AMG C400 White on black -daily
Proper front Strut Bearing installation Dsc_0110
Back to top Go down
98riv
Moderator


Location : USA
Joined : 2007-01-14
Post Count : 981
Merit : 30

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 pm

I need to replace my strut mounts on my car.  I found a thread on the Bonneville forum and they show this mount as an updated version.  Can anyone confirm this is good to use on our cars?

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k160213

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/post380110.html

Or should I stick with this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-RH-LH-FRONT-STRUT-SHOCK-MOUNT-KIT-1992-2011-PONTIAC-OLDSMOBILE-CADILLAC/233020294483?epid=656785744&hash=item3641178553:g:SP8AAOSw84ZcRh7W

_________________
1998 Supercharged Riviera - Custom CAI, Alpine spx-13ref, Infinity 6x9's, Alpine 4 Channel Amp, Kicker KX3, Silverstars, STB, Hawk Brake Pads, Monroe Air Shocks, KYB GR2
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7446
Merit : 148

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Ah! I see what's going on. I installed the Delco updated Strut Bearings in my Riv a couple years ago. The original setup had a separate bearing on top, with the angled part sitting underneath it. Same exact setup, just more pieces. The updated design is one piece like the photos I took.

Look here (RockAuto)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5623659&cc=1303322&jnid=511&jpid=10

That's the only kit that comes with the angled plate. The others do not. I suppose you could re-use your old ones as long as they aren't cracked or something. Either way, make sure you put them back on the right way!!! lol

UPDATED GM PARTS:

Strut Mount P/N 19208376

Strut Bearing P/N 15873303

These two need to be ordered at the same time. They are a different, updated design from the factory, and will not fit with any of the original parts (less pieces). This is a one piece bearing plate with the mount, instead of 3 or 4 pieces. It looks EXACTLY like the pics I posted above, not what RockAuto shows in the link. Either way, they will both work.

Ummm.... actually a bunch of mounts come with the angled plate, and mount kits with teh new GM design are available... You showed Westar ST2972, which is the best priced AFAIK. Beyond that, the Mevotech MP902972 is shown for both the Riv and the Caddy (Cadillac 2006 DTS)at $32, Just for the Caddy: the Monroe with new design 908948 ($30), the Moog with new design K160213 ($37) the KYB SM5609 ($49) and the Sachs 802597 ($54) Prices are RockAuto FOB origin rounded up to the $1. There are different SKUs from the same makers for the Riv's old-design mount, and their pricing is about same as for the new design - except Monroe, which is a couple bucks less for the new design mount. Westar mount kit at $20 looks like the best price. I have had a Monroe kit 902972 on for a while, it's lasted thru 2 sets of front struts. Was the first time I'd re-used mounts. The KYBs I mounted them with started leaking so I replaced them with AutoVantage closeouts from RockAuto (OE Gabriel). They looked *so* good upon removal I just re-used them.

BTW with the Westar mounts, the Gabriel (lifetime warr) struts from RockAuto and the ACDelco springs you can replace the front struts by assembling them yourself for $74.03 ea. side (plus shipping). The Gabriel ready-struts are $89.79 plus shipping (again, RockAuto). Monroe OESpectrum ready's are $10 more. I don't know what the OESpectrums are like on the Riv but the set I had on a Buick Rendezvous were #great#.

Tempting.

I wonder if the shipping kills the deal.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7446
Merit : 148

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 9:08 am

98riv wrote:
I need to replace my strut mounts on my car.  I found a thread on the Bonneville forum and they show this mount as an updated version.  Can anyone confirm this is good to use on our cars?

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k160213

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/post380110.html

Or should I stick with this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-RH-LH-FRONT-STRUT-SHOCK-MOUNT-KIT-1992-2011-PONTIAC-OLDSMOBILE-CADILLAC/233020294483?epid=656785744&hash=item3641178553:g:SP8AAOSw84ZcRh7W

That Moog mount is less than 1/2 that price, on RockAuto.com

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4201938&jsn=344&jsn=344
Back to top Go down
98riv
Moderator


Location : USA
Joined : 2007-01-14
Post Count : 981
Merit : 30

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:58 am

I ended up buying 2 mounts from GM and they fit perfect.  The part number was 19208376 and it includes the mount and bearing assembly.

The monroe bearing on the old mount had been noisy for years and fell apart once I compressed the spring.

_________________
1998 Supercharged Riviera - Custom CAI, Alpine spx-13ref, Infinity 6x9's, Alpine 4 Channel Amp, Kicker KX3, Silverstars, STB, Hawk Brake Pads, Monroe Air Shocks, KYB GR2
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7446
Merit : 148

Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 pm

98riv wrote:
I ended up buying 2 mounts from GM and they fit perfect.  The part number was 19208376 and it includes the mount and bearing assembly.

The monroe bearing on the old mount had been noisy for years and fell apart once I compressed the spring.

...good to know... thanks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proper front Strut Bearing installation   Proper front Strut Bearing installation Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Proper front Strut Bearing installation
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Front hub wheel bearing removal problem
» RZR 1000 Drive shaft and carrier bearing removal
» Front Wheel Bearing
» 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 parts
» Honda Foreman Front Diff

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension-
Jump to: