HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Traction Off Lightbulb

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stydel311

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:06 am

My traction off light is on and I don't have intentions of fixing the problem (ABS Code C1274, I've gotten like 3 different definitions).  If I pop the panel on the drivers side of the dash with the fuse door off is it possible to reach the socket and remove the bulb?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Aficionado

Name : Scott
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:13 am

DTC C1274 BPMV Pressure Switch Circuit Malfunction

This is the ONLY definition. Being that only the TCS light is on, it's probably the EBTCM that has a fault. But, without testing, you'll never know. You could have a chafed wire somewhere grounding out on the chassis. Who knows.

Most people replace the ABS Pump/EBTCM as a whole assembly. I can post the schematic and the flow chart for you, but it's like 3 pages long.

The IPC needs to be removed in order to take out the bulb in the dash.
Back to top Go down
stydel311

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:29 am

Abaddon wrote:
DTC C1274 BPMV Pressure Switch Circuit Malfunction

This is the ONLY definition. Being that only the TCS light is on, it's probably the EBTCM that has a fault. But, without testing, you'll never know. You could have a chafed wire somewhere grounding out on the chassis. Who knows.

Most people replace the ABS Pump/EBTCM as a whole assembly. I can post the schematic and the flow chart for you, but it's like 3 pages long.

The IPC needs to be removed in order to take out the bulb in the dash.

Thanks, I'll just put some tape over the light rather than taking the dash apart.  One shop told me it had something to do with the Magnasteer but I was kind of doubting that.  The light used to only occasionally come on, pretty much completely randomly until I took it on a 400 mile trip and its been on every time since then.  The EBTCM was my guess and it's actually been replaced already about 7 years/40,000 miles ago.  I have access to a used one but I'm debating on whether it's worth it or not since the abs still works.  I tried to get the big round connector at the pump apart to check the terminals but I couldn't figure out what way to push the red clip to get it to release.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 am

Eh. As long as the ABS works. Personally, I think Traction Control is useless anyway.
Back to top Go down
stydel311

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:45 am

I was never really impressed with the traction control on this car. It only felt like it was trying to stop the wheel spin but never actually did, it was also quite loud (maybe that was just mine). We had a 95 Deville that it worked great in and was quiet, also a newer 2005 Malibu that it works great in and is silent.

Really the only time I've found traction control useful is on ice or packed snow, it somewhat helps to start from a stop. In deeper or fresh snow I've found leaving it on makes it more difficult than turning it off and limiting wheel spin with your foot.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 121

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:52 pm

stydel311 wrote:
I was never really impressed with the traction control on this car.  It only felt like it was trying to stop the wheel spin but never actually did, it was also quite loud (maybe that was just mine).  We had a 95 Deville that it worked great in and was quiet, also a newer 2005 Malibu that it works great in and is silent.

Really the only time I've found traction control useful is on ice or packed snow, it somewhat helps to start from a stop.  In deeper or fresh snow I've found leaving it on makes it more difficult than turning it off and limiting wheel spin with your foot.

Problems with traction control? If your brake fluid is dark like coffee or maple syrup, flush it and refill with DOT3/4 *synthetic* - the synthetic fluid does not seem to take on water as quickly, iMHO.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator

Name : Aaron
Merit : 237

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Quote :
If I pop the panel on the drivers side of the dash with the fuse door off is it possible to reach the socket and remove the bulb?

YEP. It's pretty easy to do if you have long fingers!

'98 SC Riviera • 268k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180Ί t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

'05 GTO • 49k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
stydel311

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 pm

albertj wrote:

stydel311 wrote:
I was never really impressed with the traction control on this car.  It only felt like it was trying to stop the wheel spin but never actually did, it was also quite loud (maybe that was just mine).  We had a 95 Deville that it worked great in and was quiet, also a newer 2005 Malibu that it works great in and is silent.

Really the only time I've found traction control useful is on ice or packed snow, it somewhat helps to start from a stop.  In deeper or fresh snow I've found leaving it on makes it more difficult than turning it off and limiting wheel spin with your foot.

Problems with traction control?  If your brake fluid is dark like coffee or maple syrup, flush it and refill with DOT3/4 *synthetic* - the synthetic fluid does not seem to  take on water as quickly, iMHO.
Finally got some time and ambition to work on it. Flushed all of the brake fluid out one line at a time, the reservoir had pitch black fluid in it and there were even little floaters in it so I'm guessing its never been done. Drove it about 10 miles after and the light still comes on so I'll leave it for a few days and if it's still on try to get the bulb out.
Back to top Go down
stydel311

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:32 pm

AA wrote:

Quote :
If I pop the panel on the drivers side of the dash with the fuse door off is it possible to reach the socket and remove the bulb?

YEP. It's pretty easy to do if you have long fingers!

Got the bulb out.  Side panel popped right off and the bulb was right there on the edge and easy to grab.  I actually took the bulb out of the socket, put the socket back in, and taped the bulb to the inside of the side panel for safe keeping.

Last edited by stydel311 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:35 am

Ah shit....I just realized that the Traction Bulb isn't in the IPC bonk
Back to top Go down
RivGuy
Amateur

Name : Bob Norton

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:37 pm

To remove traction light bulb. I looked at the end panel and I'm afraid to just start prying.
Does just the end panel of the dash snap off ? Do I have to do any thing with the fuze box or door ?
Back to top Go down
stydel311

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

RivGuy wrote:
To remove traction light bulb. I looked at the end panel and I'm afraid  to just start prying.
Does just the end panel of the dash snap off ? Do I have to do any thing with the fuze box or door ?

About halfway down the first post in the Dash Removal Write-Up it shows the locations of the 3 clips and the 2 tabs at the top that hold the end cover on.  I used a door panel tool like this one to carefully pop the one under the fuse door and the one at the front of the dash.  The one up towards the top is harder to get off but you should be able to get a tool in there.  If the metal clip pulls off the plastic holder on the panel just pull them out of the holes they clip into in the dash and push them back onto the posts on the panel. The fuse box and panel/fuse door are completely separate so you don't have to do anything with them.
Back to top Go down
RivGuy
Amateur

Name : Bob Norton

PostSubject: Re: Traction Off Lightbulb   Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Michael thank you it was great to get rid of the bright light at night and the tape was ugly and the light still peaked thru around the tape.
Easy fix. When you know how.
Back to top Go down

Traction Off Lightbulb
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1