Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals

Go down 
+46
matt270avian
llamalor2112
bigdave
charlieRobinson
ZEP
RidzRiv
NelsonBC12
abaucom
robotennis61
gmann3001
LaFlare
The Roadmaster
ghpcnm
denim
jonnyb411
Mr.Riviera
SCbuick010
Eldo
playa
GMFreak8
steve s
rivman96
BMD
R1V13RA
Sweepspear
Ship
98RIV7777
EASHER
Rickw
SuperRiv07
deekster_caddy
T Riley
albertj
96RivSCMI
KillaKeninaRiv
99Rivman
Shintsu
IBx1
palermocorey90
97rivman
Natesriv
AA
SpaceBar
97Riv-Jon
turtleman
jax95riv
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:11 pm

[/quote]
Consider getting the electronic replacement flasher - the OE thermal flasher is OK with the stock load but not differently loaded. Tridon EL12 or Standard EFL1. I have yet to see a decent auto parts store that didn't have them in stock. Consider getting the "truck" version that will handle up to 12 bulbs if the store shows it. [/quote]

I looked at the Tridon EL12. It doesn't seem adjustable, which is what the vendor I bought my sequencer from has suggested. I'd like to get a variable that will plug into the stock receptacle. I think that's possible. Can you tell me the blade configuration for the stock unit? I can't find that info or an illustration, without actually going under the dash and dismantling, which I'd like to do as few times as possible.
Thanks!

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 pm

denim wrote:

Consider getting the electronic replacement flasher - the OE thermal flasher is OK with the stock load but not differently loaded. Tridon EL12 or Standard EFL1. I have yet to see a decent auto parts store that didn't have them in stock. Consider getting the "truck" version that will handle up to 12 bulbs if the store shows it.

I looked at the Tridon EL12. It doesn't seem adjustable, which is what the vendor I bought my sequencer from has suggested. I'd like to get a variable that will plug into the stock receptacle. I think that's possible. Can you tell me the blade configuration for the stock unit? I can't find that info or an illustration, without actually going under the dash and dismantling, which I'd like to do as few times as possible.
Thanks!

going under the dash is no big deal, it's obvious how to remove the driverside insulator panel (black panel under dash) once you look at it. A few screws on edge nearest driver and a plastic clip on the firewall.

It is a 2-blade flasher. There is no illustration probably because it is a very, very common "heavy duty" flasher used almost since there were blinking turn signals in cars.

Neither flasher I suggested is adjustable. If the sequencer mfg recommended some sort of adjustable flasher then you might/should just get that one.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks! As a mere vassel here, I appreciate your knowledge.
I think Grote has a plug-in that will work. Par t#GRO 44891 (NAPA)
OR I could just do this Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 Hands tongue
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

Name : Carl Alexander
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 pm

The supplied lights don't affect your cruise control?? Some of the LED mods cancel your cruise.
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 pm

The Roadmaster wrote:
The supplied lights don't affect your cruise control?? Some of the LED mods cancel your cruise.
what and when would cause this?

i just installed my sequential tail lights and i was told by the vendor that replacing my flashers with electronic ones would be a good idea. so the riv has 2 flashers...? would these be fine and a perfect fit? signal and hazards;

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?checkfit=true&itemIdentifier=6413

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9cjef;jsessionid=DB66EBB3DB5F354D50B3BF4772FA56B5.diyprod1-b2c2?itemIdentifier=69839

when i have the hazards on it sometimes doesn't sequence right. outer bulbs don't flash
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 pm

LaFlare wrote:
The Roadmaster wrote:

i just installed my sequential tail lights and i was told by the vendor that replacing my flashers with electronic ones would be a good idea. so the riv has 2 flashers...? would these be fine and a perfect fit? signal and hazards;

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?checkfit=true&itemIdentifier=6413

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9cjef;jsessionid=DB66EBB3DB5F354D50B3BF4772FA56B5.diyprod1-b2c2?itemIdentifier=69839

when i have the hazards on it sometimes doesn't sequence right. outer bulbs don't flash

Those seem to be the EL12 cited earlier in the thread. They are not that much $$, just try one.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 am

I just bought one, been meaning to do this since before 2009...time flies!

Turtleman will be my guru with his great pics & such!

pics soon!

Oh the webelectronics universal one smile
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster
Enthusiast
The Roadmaster

Name : Carl Alexander
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 10:47 am

LaFlare wrote:
The Roadmaster wrote:

Senses a bulb burned out condition with LED's. Some people have had luck implementing a resister in the circuit, i.e., raising the impedance to that of conventional bulbs satisfying the cruise control that the tail lights are working.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am

I've used LED tail lamps before without issue. Anyone actually have a problem with a Riviera, or is this just a "some cars do it" kind of rumor?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Guys I ordered the set from WebElectric but they said they had a better set...so I actually ordered that.

Here's what the guy told me in the email correspondence

Quote :

The STS-1 kit will work if you replace the center sockets as described on
that web site. However, for a few dollars more, you should get the STS-3MP
kit. It will convert the middle socket to dual level lighting without
replacing the socket. In other words, you don't need to drill the tail
light housing to install a larger, 3-wire socket in the middle position.

Let me know if you want to change to the STS-3MP. If I don't hear from you
by 9:00 EST, I will ship the STS-1 kit.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Well that's certainly interesting...
I wonder what they do - overdrive the 194 somehow to make it brighten up to 3X57 level?

If that's the case, I can't help but think the taillight assy is going to be coming off a lot more often to replace bulbs... confused
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm

I just did mine last night! IMO changing the socket is the way to go. its not
as difficult as it sounds and it really doesn't change any thing from the lens
view other than all three lights are on when you break instead if the two outer lights.
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm

gmann3001 wrote:
I just did mine last night! IMO changing the socket is the way to go. its not
as difficult as it sounds and it really doesn't change any thing from the lens
view other than all three lights are on when you break instead if the two outer lights.

I agree with you... IF, however, the boys at WebElectrics have come up with something that lasts, then they've got a whole lot more applications than they think they do. A bunch of Buicks in the last 40 years have had our 3-tail-bulb/2-outer-brake-light-bulb systems; like my '69 Wildcat/Electra/LeSabre...
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 pm

OKAY!!!!

Installed it today... had to read the instructions carefully...think it through...but once I did the driver's side...the passeger side was a 10 minute job.

Not going to go over the "HOW TO" since it's pretty simple, and is already posted here

The yellow and purple wires are driver's side, while the dark green and brown wires (with a white stripe) are passenger side wires....

I did what Turtleman did in driling a hole in the rear light casing so both units will be fixed in their position(s). The instructions recommend that both units are mounted in such a way that they face down, and with Turtleman's mod, that's what happens.

All in all a very simple mod. The setup I bought comes with zip ties and wire ties and very good instructions. You'll still want to electrical tape it all and zip tie the loose wires to make sure it's all OEM in apperance...

I love it!

Click these links below to see a short video (If I did it right!)

Driver's side
Passenger Side
Hazards
Lock and Unlock

Last edited by Natesriv on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

OH!!!!

The middle lights...the bulb(s) they supply are BIGGER than the bulb which is originally there...so it can handle the voltage ups and downs this unit sends
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Nice Job. looks good
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks, it's a very easy mod, and if it holds up, I highly recommend it for all Riv's
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Hears how mine look
Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 Th_VIDEO0012
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes, that's the way mine are.

I HIGHLY recommend this mod to all Riv owners. I had mine for roughly $90 and it's an easy thing to do and makes your Riv...your CAR unique!!

Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:23 pm

OH!!!! BTW, when I posted these videos...I didn't realize I'd crimped a wire around the driver's side lower light housing...so I had to undo it all, move that wire...and reinstall...

watch those wires gang!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

FANTASTIC !!! bow
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm

did my video's post alright???
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 pm

I would really like to see it in a brighter light setting, but yes it shows up. Great job you did there, Nate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 pm

I had my neighbor sit in the car and hit the brakes...they do the hazard light sequence once, then stay on..it's really cool.

I also had him turn the lights on and they still work with the sequencing...just brighter.

This mod should be standard fare for all Riv owners on this site...easy and unique
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 3:39 am

I can see the turn-signals & hazards pretty well in the vids, Nate.
Is it a "video thing", or do the center bulbs no longer run with the tail lights?

Also, did you make a note of what number the new bulbs are?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals   Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Sequential Turn Signals
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next