Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension

Go down 
+4
deekster_caddy
Abaddon
AA
Jack the R
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension Empty
PostSubject: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 am

Only happens when I'm creeping along over a rough area.  I've pushed down on the fender to check the shock rebound - it's the same as the passenger side shock.  I've checked the nuts at the top, in the trunk.  Everything's tight.  I thought that might be the problem since I pulled the rear STB out around the same time I noticed the thunking, but I don't see any problems.  Maybe a Rancho is going, but I'm not seeing any sign of it in the shock rebound.  I've glanced at the bottom of the shock, but see no problems in that area.  I haven't touched anything to see if it's loose or not yet (it's cold out there!).

The car drives fine.  If not for the thunking, I'd have no clue there was anything wrong.

Perhaps the shock mount is failing (only 94,000 miles, but it's nearly twenty years old).  Or could another suspension component be the culprit?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Check the rear adjustment links. The heim joint boots could be dry and worn.

Check that a rear spring isn't cracked.

Also don't rule out chucks of ice or frozen snow that can lodge in the suspension and create noise.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Perhaps the shock mount is failing (only 94,000 miles, but it's nearly twenty years old).

This

You took the rear STB off, and it started thunking. Absolutely possible that the STB was holding it nice and tight.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 9:30 pm

I took the wheel off and looked everything over.  I didn't see any obvious problems.  The shock mount looks good.  I think I'll swap the shocks and shock mounts and if the sound is suddenly on the right side instead of the left I'll know where the problem is.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Woohoo, the thunking is on the passenger side now! New shocks for me!

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Could be the sway bar end links. (do you have a rear sway bar?)

dbriviera likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I swapped the shocks and the thunking moved to the other side, so I'm assuming that means the problem is with either a shock or shock mount.

I've got the stock rear sway bar.

There are some grommety bushing things on what I would guess is called the rear trailing arm - and if that's wrong I'm sure you can figure out what I mean - which have cracked open. I'll have to replace those too, but the shocks come first.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Woohoo, the thunking is on the passenger side now!  New shocks for me!

And mounts, shop around they are not too much $$ if you buy them right, try one of the online places.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 9:01 pm

I ordered Moogs from RockAuto. Surprised at how cheap they are compared to the strut mounts!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 am

Jack the R wrote:
I ordered Moogs from RockAuto.  Surprised at how cheap they are compared to the strut mounts!

No big surprise there, actually. The Riv rear mounts were used on various GM cars from 1995 to 2011.

By the way if for some reason your mount covers are missing (rubber caps that go over the mounts, in the trunk) a number of them fit, you can go to a pick-n-pull near you to graba pair off any number of GM FWD cars. I got a pair from a Cavalier.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Well whoop-dee-doo, FedEx says they delivered my package yesterday, and it is nowhere to be found. Has anyone worked through RockAuto's order status and returns page? It's a little confusing. There's no option for "package not delivered." I think you're supposed to go through each item one by one and report it missing, and on the last item, you're supposed to check a field that amounts to "no more items to report missing," but isn't labelled that clearly. Then they contact the carrier to work out the screw up. Because I have other things to do, I believe I've messed up on the reporting process. I reported the shocks last night and thought I had properly indicated the "whole package missing" part. Today they've got the shocks marked as "not returnable." Does that translate to "you're shit outta luck buddy?" So I reported the mounts and the hood supports I ordered, but I messed up and checked "more parts to report missing" instead of "no more parts to report missing." Unfortunately I can't find any way to go back and edit this stuff. What a mess! I guess I'll try their email address and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 5:55 pm

You'll probably have better luck giving them a call than trying to sort all of that out through e-mail.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Could be but it's not easy when you're working.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Yes calling is best, but Ive had no issues with their email support. I hope they get it worked out for you.

If it helps, Fedex once reported to me something was delivered and I couldnt find it. It showed up the next day.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

PostSubject: regarding the clunking at low speed...   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 pm

I would suspect the sway bar bushings and or sway bar links. Bushing noise is not uncommon when the bushing clearance increases with age and ear. Cheap to fix. The bushing losses its elasticity sometimes and the bar will thunk in its holder, evane if it looks or feels good it can still be the culprit. I have wrapped the bar in tape and reinstalled the bushing as a test before. The tape takes up the slack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension   Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension Empty

Back to top Go down

Low speed thunking from rear driver's side suspension
Page 1 of 1