Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Chassis lubrication?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Chassis lubrication? Empty
PostSubject: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Are there any fittings for a grease gun on this car? If not what does the owner's manual mean by "Lubricate chassis components every six months?"
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 1:45 pm

The only grease fittings from the factory on the Riv are the rear Tie Rod ends. The fronts had no grease fittings. That's all they meant. There is no other place on the Riv that requires grease, unless aftermarket greasable (that a word?) parts have been installed.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Aren't the front ball joints and front tie rod ends grease-able as well? Mine are and they're still factory as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Anything on the steering?

I did a Silverado today and there were four grease fittings on the steering (don't know the proper name of the component, sorry).
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Aftermarket Moog ball joints and tie rods have zerks fitted.otherwise just the rear.You can remove the control arm bolts and grease up the bolts and things like that.....
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 pm

Chassis lubrication? Img_0252s_by_jrxtin-d9t0dhu

I believe I've got a problem here.

Where can I get these rubber booties, and what do I need to know to install them?  Torque settings etc.  I'm not seeing them on RockAuto.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 am

If it is the rear, the gm part number for the outer tie rod seal is 26049394.

Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 8:31 am

Jack the R wrote:
Anything on the steering?

I did a Silverado today and there were four grease fittings on the steering (don't know the proper name of the component, sorry).

Nothing in the steering, no. Just the rear.

Trucks have grease fittings everywhere. Especially 3/4 ton and above that still utilize a "center link" setup. Even the newest trucks have grease fittings on the outer tie rods, but that's it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 10:48 pm

98riv wrote:

Is this right - Link

The illustration doesn't look like a Riviera suspension ?

What's the deal with the crazy nut on the bottom of the tie rod end? It's got a cotter pin and a bunch of notches.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 7:39 am

Jack the R wrote:

98riv wrote:

Is this right - Link

The illustration doesn't look like a Riviera suspension ?

What's the deal with the crazy nut on the bottom of the tie rod end?  It's got a cotter pin and a bunch of notches.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/1997/buick/riviera/base-trim/3-8l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

Click on this link and scroll down until the second picture shows and it will show you the part numbers for the rear suspension. It looks like the boot will fit both the front and rear tie rod.

The castle nut has notches in it so that the cotter pin goes through the hole in the threaded end of the tie rod. The cotter pin will prevent the castle nut from backing out.

Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 12:11 am

O.K., is there a source that isn't going to charge me $20 to ship two little rubber booties shoot You gotta be kidding me!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 am

You can buy them all day long on ebay for around $8 to $15 bucks with free shipping. just get the measurements right maybe a little trimming required
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 2:03 am

I'm not having an easy time finding the boot only on ebay, but I can find the entire tie rod ends -

Link

For $24 shipped, maybe that is the way to go?  Who knows if my original tie rods have ever been lubricated?  

How tough is it to replace a tie rod end?  

Who is this Suspension Parts Warehouse?  Good product or no good?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 3:52 pm

those dont look like they will work.check the od of the rod and the thread pitch.as far as I can tell those rear bars are hard to find.Morad would be your best bet for a used pair
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Seriously?

Was this stuff not used on a dozen different GM vehicles?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 1:22 am

Jack the R wrote:
Seriously?

Was this stuff not used on a dozen different GM vehicles?

You're talking about the rears right?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 1:31 am

Yes, the rears. I'd imagine they were used everywhere, or at least the Aurora/STS/Eldorado.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 2:59 am

Nope they're kinda peculiar.You could modify the Od of the bar but it would be a bear.My mod would solve the issue.Hit up Turtleman,he did them and they came out pretty good
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 3:18 am

What mod? Got a link?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Jack the R wrote:
What mod?  Got a link?

Sure.......https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7827-write-up-custom-rear-adjustment-links?highlight=rear+adjustment+links

Get with Turtleman,he works in a CNC shop and might be able to hook you up with the mounting hardware.
The tubes and the heims are really inexpensive.definitely a mod that is worth it in terms of value and longevity
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Hmm, looks like more than I have time or $ for at the moment. My alternator bearing started squeeking. The Riv has turned into a flood of worn out parts lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chassis lubrication?   Chassis lubrication? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chassis lubrication?
Page 1 of 1