Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
coolmoss
Special

Name : Robert Hoffman
Merit : 0

Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block Empty
PostSubject: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a '95 SC. Appranently, all of a sudden (car has never dripped a drop, from new) oil is leaking from a brass plug in the block on the back half (toward back of car) of the engine. I can clearly see the plug and the leak (although so much stuff including exhaust is in the way I can't quite reach it with my hand) and was able to get a 9/16" wrench on it. Near as I can tell, that plug is solid in place, not loose at all.

I'm like 99.999% sure this is the leak. Any ideas? Is the block cracked somehow?

Thanks for any input/advice.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:55 pm

How about a picture?  It may be leaking from the rear valve cover and dripping down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
coolmoss
Special

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyMon May 09, 2016 8:04 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
How about a picture?  It may be leaking from the rear valve cover and dripping down.

I wish I could, but there is no way to get a camera up in where this is coming from (at least I couldn't juggle the camera and the necessary light, and I don't think a usable pix would result). Also, I can see clearly along the whole side of the block above this plug; it's bone dry. I also ran my fingers around the entire length of valve cover.

It really is pretty clear that the oil is coming from this plug. There is a drop forming right at the lower edge/base of the plug, the oil is stained downward and then spreads left and right, exactly from the point of the plug.

I agree, it seems baffling that this should just start out of the blue. I've been working on cars, race cars, tractors and air planes for better than 30 years and have never seen this sort of thing before. I figured the plug must be loose, but it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyMon May 09, 2016 8:15 pm

I can't think of any brass plug that screws into the block that would leak oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyTue May 10, 2016 12:39 pm

sounds like the oil pressure switch back by the power steering pump.

Only plug would be for coolant expansion and shouldnt leak oil.

Not real familiar with the 95s but a picture or better location description would be good.

Back to top Go down
coolmoss
Special

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block EmptyTue May 10, 2016 5:19 pm

I've come to the conclusion (from discussion with an engine builder and looking at the manual) that indeed, the brass plug must be a coolant plug.

My plan is to first reinspect everything, cleaning it all up carefully as I go (brakecleen off everything). Take it for a short drive, reinspect and attempt to take some pictures. I wasn't aware of an oil pressure switch down there so I'll look for it.

Thanks to all who replied, I'll report back in a few days (car is actually Mom's and I can't get there til weekend). I appreciate the help and the info in the replies!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block   Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Leaking from Brass Plug in Block
Page 1 of 1