Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

Name : 100percentjake
Merit : 0

Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now Empty
PostSubject: Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now   Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now EmptyWed May 25, 2016 8:28 am

I drained the car of coolant when doing the belt tensioner, got everything buttoned up, filled the radiator, then filled the coolant reservoir as I do on my other non-GM cars when they have no coolant in them. I started the car and let it run for a while with the cap off the radiator until air bubbles stopped burping their way through it, then tossed the cap back on and checked to make sure my coolant level at the "full hot" line (it was). A quick look inside the car showed my temperatures were nearing the "danger" zone on the temp gauge. Shut off the car, let it cool down a bit, then start it again. I noticed that there was no pressure in the upper radiator hose, so I thought there might not be any coolant making it that far. Shut off the car, take off the thermostat housing, see coolant right up to ther thermostat. A couple bubbles make their way through, then all is calm. Put the thermostat and housing back on, open the bleed valve, and start the car again. A slow steady dribble of coolant comes out the bleed screw so I tighten it back up and go for a drive. Temperatures stay normal, according to the idiot gauge. Get back, still no pressure in the upper radiator hose and I can BARELY feel anything flowing through it. Just a trickle of coolant. Shut off the car and a loud whistle comes from the passenger side of the engine bay followed by some gurgling.

Any thoughts what the hell is going on here? I can't see any obvious coolant leaks while the engine is on, though there was a small puddle below the radiator cap I'm pretty sure that was spillage from when I burped the system. When I get home I'm going to take the thermostat out and see if there's any difference.
Back to top Go down
http://fastnotloud.com
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now   Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now EmptyWed May 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Are the fans coming on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now   Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now EmptyThu May 26, 2016 12:22 am

100percentjake wrote:
I drained the car of coolant when doing the belt tensioner, got everything buttoned up, filled the radiator, then filled the coolant reservoir as I do on my other non-GM cars when they have no coolant in them. I started the car and let it run for a while with the cap off the radiator until air bubbles stopped burping their way through it, then tossed the cap back on and checked to make sure my coolant level at the "full hot" line (it was). A quick look inside the car showed my temperatures were nearing the "danger" zone on the temp gauge. Shut off the car, let it cool down a bit, then start it again. I noticed that there was no pressure in the upper radiator hose, so I thought there might not be any coolant making it that far. Shut off the car, take off the thermostat housing, see coolant right up to ther thermostat. A couple bubbles make their way through, then all is calm. Put the thermostat and housing back on, open the bleed valve, and start the car again. A slow steady dribble of coolant comes out the bleed screw so I tighten it back up and go for a drive. Temperatures stay normal, according to the idiot gauge. Get back, still no pressure in the upper radiator hose and I can BARELY feel anything flowing through it. Just a trickle of coolant. Shut off the car and a loud whistle comes from the passenger side of the engine bay followed by some gurgling.

Any thoughts what the hell is going on here? I can't see any obvious coolant leaks while the engine is on, though there was a small puddle below the radiator cap I'm pretty sure that was spillage from when I burped the system. When I get home I'm going to take the thermostat out and see if there's any difference.

It is really hard to "burp" the Riv and that does not look like the procedure in the manual. When I have had to do it I literally do it step by step from the manual. Your first burp didn't work that 's wh y the car got hot. The second was better but still incomplete.
Back to top Go down
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

Name : 100percentjake
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now   Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now EmptyMon May 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Four or five more heat cycles and all is well, though after shutoff sometimes I will still hear a loud whistle from the passenger side of the car.
Back to top Go down
http://fastnotloud.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now   Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now Empty

Back to top Go down

Replaced belt tensioner, coolant system doing weird things now
Page 1 of 1