Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
slugranch
Amateur

Name : Gary Miller
Merit : 0

Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. Empty
PostSubject: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 11:54 am

As long as she is driving, temperature gauge stays down, but stop and idle, and it starts climbing. Checked the fans, and they come on when then A/C is on and the fan motors are OK. Where is the engine coolant sensor for the fans located? Or are the fans controlled though the computer. I've looked for an obvious sensor on the engine and radiator, and haven't found anything that looks like the right item.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

slugranch wrote:
As long as she is driving, temperature gauge stays down, but stop and idle, and it starts climbing. Checked the fans, and they come on when then A/C is on and the fan motors are OK.  Where is the engine coolant sensor for the fans located?  Or are the fans controlled though the computer.  I've looked for an obvious sensor on the engine and radiator, and haven't found anything that looks like the right item.

Did you pressure test the radiator cap?
Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 4:08 pm

albertj wrote:

slugranch wrote:
As long as she is driving, temperature gauge stays down, but stop and idle, and it starts climbing. Checked the fans, and they come on when then A/C is on and the fan motors are OK.  Where is the engine coolant sensor for the fans located?  Or are the fans controlled though the computer.  I've looked for an obvious sensor on the engine and radiator, and haven't found anything that looks like the right item.

Haven't as yet tested cap. Will advise as soon as I find someplace here that has a cap tester.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm

slugranch wrote:

albertj wrote:

slugranch wrote:

Haven't as yet tested cap.  Will advise as soon as I find someplace here that has a cap tester.

For the $5.00 or so you might want to just try a 16# cap.
Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyWed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am

albertj wrote:

slugranch wrote:
 Don't know where you get your parts, but a coolant sensor and a new cap cost $35 here.  Replaced the cap and of course it never solved the problem.  Have searched the engine and still can't find the sensor.  Googled location and none of theirs were the right one.  Thought if I saw the sensor, it would help me identify it when I finally found it.  No such luck.  It's not a problem as long as we stay here on the coast, but have to go inland today and the temperatures are a lot hotter than here.  Hope we don't experience any overheating problems.  Please! can anyone give me a clue where the sensor is located?

albertj wrote:

slugranch wrote:

Haven't as yet tested cap.  Will advise as soon as I find someplace here that has a cap tester.

For the $5.00 or so you might want to just try a 16# cap.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyWed Jun 22, 2016 4:21 pm

There is a coolant temp sensor on one of the radiator tanks, I think the passenger side about halfway down but I am not sure. Last time I had to mess with it was when I replaced my radiator about 100,000 miles ago. It is conspicuous in that it's the only thing on either radiator tank with wires (the fans have wires but they are on a mounting bracket). My guess is you were looking on the engine near the thermostat housing and elsewhere around the intake manifold primarily. Not there on this model.

A GM radiator cap from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM is about $10 plus shipping. A Stant cap from rockauto.com is $2.42 plus shipping. And one from a pick-and-pull junkyard is mad cheap ("miscellaneous part, $1.00") IF they make you pay for it (never sneak parts out and you'd be surprised what they will *give* you - fuses, relays, rad caps, light bulbs, etc.) - people don't junk their cars over rad caps so if you pick 2 or 3 that fit, at least one and probably all will work fine.
Back to top Go down
slugranch
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyWed Jun 22, 2016 11:36 pm

albertj wrote:
There is a coolant temp sensor on one of the radiator tanks, I think the passenger side about halfway down but I am not sure.  Last time I had to mess with it was when I replaced my radiator about 100,000 miles ago. It is conspicuous in that it's the only thing on either radiator tank with wires (the fans have wires but they are on a mounting bracket). My guess is you were looking on the engine near the thermostat housing and elsewhere around the intake manifold primarily. Not there on this model.

A GM radiator cap from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM is about $10 plus shipping.  A Stant cap from rockauto.com is $2.42 plus shipping.  And one from a pick-and-pull junkyard is mad cheap ("miscellaneous part, $1.00") IF they make you pay for it (never sneak parts out and you'd be surprised what they will *give* you - fuses, relays, rad caps, light bulbs, etc.) - people don't junk their cars over rad caps so if you pick 2 or 3 that fit, at least one and probably all will work fine.
Thanks,,I'll look in the morning. Had to run the A/C while in the city today.
Back to top Go down
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 6:44 pm

the coolant level sensor fixed my problemo got it off ebooger for 32$ free ship
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.   Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems. Empty

Back to top Go down

Girlfriend's Riv has fan problems.
Page 1 of 1