Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Still have knock, not sure what to do next

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

Still have knock, not sure what to do next  Empty
PostSubject: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 am

OK so my riv still has knock at wot, 3 to 5 degrees to be exact sometimes less when it's cooler. I really want to just have my car be kr free with a 3.4 pulley and I feel as though I have more than enough mods to run it. I know every car is different, some gtp guys run a 3.4 with an intake, tune and downpipe with no knock. So what are some good ideas to further kill my remaining kr, because basically that's the last of my mods for this vehicle I just want a kr free car running a 3.4 pulley, this is my daily driver my go faster stuff is going to be focused on my volvo 850t5
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 11:12 am

h20man wrote:
OK so my riv still has knock at wot, 3 to 5 degrees to be exact sometimes less when it's cooler. I really want to just have my car be kr free with a 3.4 pulley and I feel as though I have more than enough mods to run it. I know every car is different, some gtp guys run a 3.4 with an intake, tune and downpipe with no knock. So what are some good ideas to further kill my remaining kr, because basically that's the last of my mods for this vehicle I just want a kr free car running a 3.4 pulley, this is my daily driver my go faster stuff is going to be focused on my volvo 850t5

Put a 3.5" on it. You may never be able to get rid of that tiny bit if KR. If you don't race the car, or beat on it continuously, spurts of that KR (3*-5*) aren't going to hurt you. That little bit of KR just means that your engine is putting out it's "max" performance, and the PCM is simply doing it's job. Those numbers don't mean that your engine is necessarily knocking, they just mean that the PCM needs to retard the timing that much to keep it from knocking. If it's just a drive-around-town car, I'd leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Yeah I don't race the car at all, once in a while merging on the highway I'll do a quick wot scan and see what kind of knock I get. One day I'll get 2 degrees the next day I'll get 4 sometimes up to 5 since it's warm now here in CT. Headers just aren't on my list of things I want to do, but I know those would help. Anyone install a rear plog and have results? That's something I'd eventually do to knock off a degree or 2
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 3:07 pm

h20man wrote:
Yeah I don't race the car at all, once in a while merging on the highway I'll do a quick wot scan and see what kind of knock I get. One day I'll get 2 degrees the next day I'll get 4 sometimes up to 5 since it's warm now here in CT. Headers just aren't on my list of things I want to do, but I know those would help. Anyone install a rear plog and have results? That's something I'd eventually do to knock off a degree or 2

A stock Rivi will put down more KR than you're getting right now. I wouldn't sweat it.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyThu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

OK thank you for the reassurance, I'm not gonna worry about it anymore the car runs great and that's all I want
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am

Looking at your mod list, you have a lot of intake and exhaust airflow mods, but nothing to make the valves open more. With stock valve openings you are going to have trouble running anything lower than a 3.5" pulley without tuning and removing some timing. You might even run a little faster on a 3.5" because of the reduced KR. A better move to flow the air would be to add some higher lift rockers or even better a cam.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Definitely doing rockers as my next mod, I'm getting little to no knock on my 3.4 right now so I'm pretty happy. Still confused as to what people think about 1.8s on stock valve springs. My car has 144k, so my guess is not changing valve springs is cutting corners
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

Get rid of the platinum plugs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still have knock, not sure what to do next    Still have knock, not sure what to do next  Empty

Back to top Go down

Still have knock, not sure what to do next
Page 1 of 1