Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal

Go down 
+30
stan
Animator
jbeganny
Sir Psycho Sexy
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
rivparadise
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
Jimdangello
rob97
96RIVMANN
NelsonRiv
dartcars
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
deekster_caddy
DEMonte1997
Rickw
IBx1
sburch23
1998 Riv
albertj
99Rivman
SuperRiv07
98riv
Shintsu
KillaKeninaRiv
AA
Jack the R
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
JohnRedman
Amateur

Name : John Redman
Merit : 0

dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyMon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Can someone show me how to remove the single CD player cover piece? I bought a set of 14 tools for the purpose but no instructions came with and anyhow I'm sure that Buick Rivieras have their own "thing". Mine is a '95 Riv. I have a spare parts contributor '95 to give me a working one (I hope). Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lmck3
Amateur
Lmck3

Name : Lance Mckinley
Merit : 8

PostSubject: temp   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 2:27 am

in regards to removing the trim for the dash mounted factory cd-player,

from book one of the factory service manual:
this trim plate is held in by tab retainers pushed into slots.
there are no screws; it is pryed out.
judicious use of a butter-knife or a thin putty-knife might help get it started,
then pull it out with fingers.  take care to not lose the inserts within the slots.

dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 X_riviera_1997_upper_console_trim_plate

pushing open the cover over the cup holders might improve clearance.
.....................................................................................

it's possible you may need to remove the shifter trim plate.
image and instructions here:

https://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/Lmckinley99/x_riviera_1997_shifter_trimplate.jpeg

Note:
if you intend to work on your 8th generation Riviera,
you absolutely must get the 2-volume Factory Service Manuals.
mine came from eBay, but they are getting scarce.

these cars are not intuitive, and they are not simple.  the electronics are complicated.
irreplaceable pieces can be easily broken in a unguided attempt at disassembly.

to maintain and modify or improve these 1995-1999 Rivs, the most important tool
you can buy is a pair of factory manuals.

Last edited by Lmck3 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lmck3
Amateur
Lmck3

Name : Lance Mckinley
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 11:55 am

Last edited by Lmck3 on Tue May 23, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 12:34 pm

JohnRedman wrote:
Can someone show me how to remove the single CD player cover piece? I bought a set of 14 tools for the purpose but no instructions came with and anyhow I'm sure that Buick Rivieras have their own "thing". Mine is a '95 Riv. I have a spare parts contributor '95 to give me a working one (I hope). Thanks.

+1 on the "go get a manual" - you will save so much time and headache with one you will wonder why you gave it a 2nd thought.

If you need that CD player repaired consider United Radio in Syracuse - my GM dealer uses them for repairs/replacement in their front-line used cars and they "get" the Delco (and GM contract) electronics (radios, HVAC controls, etc.) - see http://www.unitedradio.com/
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 3:24 pm

ttt
Back to top Go down
JohnRedman
Amateur

Name : John Redman
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 4:37 pm

OK, thanks, folks, for the guidance. Done and switched but now the problem is about the same. I am getting the "ERR" light with the "new" CD player exactly as before, so, the issue is with the head unit. As I wish to retain the steering wheel controls, my choices are limited. I can pull the entire dash and just switch with the donor car radio as I just did with the CD player and pray that the problem 'goes away'. Since I have to pull the dash anyhow, putting in a new (Oldsmobile) radio seems more attractive. Best advice??? BTW, I DID order Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the shop manual 2 days ago from eBay.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 6:39 pm

JohnRedman wrote:
OK, thanks, folks, for the guidance. Done and switched but now the problem is about the same. I am getting the "ERR" light with the "new" CD player exactly as before, so, the issue is with the head unit. As I wish to retain the steering wheel controls, my choices are limited. I can pull the entire dash and just switch with the donor car radio as I just did with the CD player and pray that the problem 'goes away'. Since I have to pull the dash anyhow, putting in a new (Oldsmobile) radio seems more attractive. Best advice??? BTW, I DID order Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the shop manual 2 days ago from eBay.

Given the age, both of the CD units could (easily) be broken, or there could be a wiring issue with the CD connection.

You may want to make sure the plugs on the back of the radio are all the way in. If someone switched the head unit out then put the factory unit back the connectors could easily be loose. Doubt it but hey you might want to check.

You can get a head unit that will install in that opening from crutchfield.com and as well get a gadget that will maintain the steering wheel controls -- you'll need to work with a Crutchfield advisor on that one, though. It's not hard, just specific. I took a quick look, there seem to be 14 digital media receivers that will fit and take an adapter so the steeringwheel controls work. The other headache might be the dash opening. I don't know if a filler would work or if you'd need a 1.5 DIN adapter - there are such adapters for the Chevy/GMC trucks that had the 1.5 DIN radios, don't know about the Riv. You can get a filler (a tray - check ebay) for the empty CD slot and copy your tunes from CD to USB key using a utility on your Apple or Windows computer, or with some of these units connect to your iPhone or Android using a USB cable or Bluetooth.

You can get a replacement OE head unit (again, eBay or your donor car if that one works). You may want to stall until the manual arrives.

As far as pulling the dash, it'll just be the plastic dash face. The upper cover is held in with push pins that you depress with a pen or some such, the the face then comes off. Your manual will explain this no prob.

What I would do: I would suspect both those CD players are wack but I could be wrong. Maybe send all 4 out for eval and repair and tell the tech you want one good set (at least).

I think there are some old posts on this site about putting replacement units in the 1.5 DIN opening. You might need a Dremel Moto-Tool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal   dash - Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Riv Dash and Door Removal
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4