Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

No start after stripping paint off at the carwash

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hukmut
Rookie

Name : Patrick
Merit : -2

No start after stripping paint off at the carwash Empty
PostSubject: No start after stripping paint off at the carwash   No start after stripping paint off at the carwash EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 5:25 pm

The list just got longer. I know that the car leaks water into the interior. Buick videos on YouTube verify that these cars leak because they show "some" remedies. And this is on new cars. It is no wonder that there are not many of these cars left. They either rotted from the inside or the outside. Or became too much to try to fix because of the resulting electrical issues.
And, so, here is our forum. A place where Riviera owners come to find answers to their Riviera
questions.
And MY question now is, what now?
I am no stranger to "figuring things out".
IMHO, the factory service manuals were written for the in-factory technician without any regard for "real world" problems arising on these cars.
Case in point: what is the correct procedure to correct a no start situation after a heavy rain?
Or, why don't the seats move when the switch is pressed?
Or even, why do my dash lights go off and on?
Yes, it sounds like I am complaining. Not because I bought a car that is going by the wayside due to, oh, I don't know, maybe turning to shit by the minute, but maybe because of the lack of support by this forum. Oops! Did I say something wrong?
Maybe it is the way the service manuals are written.
Twenty-five years in the automotive service industry has taught me proper test techniques and procedures. I KNOW how to fix things. When I have the time, I will tell you how I fixed my car.
Maybe.

Sorry about the rant. You ALL know what I am talking about.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: No start after stripping paint off at the carwash   No start after stripping paint off at the carwash EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 5:28 pm

yawn
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: No start after stripping paint off at the carwash   No start after stripping paint off at the carwash EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 6:35 pm

I don't care how complicated car engines get, they still require 3 things to run, air, fuel, and spark. First, does it crank and not start (no start), or, does it not crank. If it doesn't start, check for fuel pressure, check for spark, then go from there. I'll try to help, but you have to tell us where you are and what you've done so far. I understand you are probably pretty frustrated. The only leak I have ever had was in the trunk, and that was easy to fix. There are a ton of grounds on these cars, and if the carpet is consistently wet, those grounds will eventually be compromised by corrosion. You'll get all kinds of wacko symptoms from that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: No start after stripping paint off at the carwash   No start after stripping paint off at the carwash EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Hukmut wrote:
The list just got longer. I know that the car leaks water into the interior. Buick videos on YouTube verify that these cars leak because they show "some" remedies. And this is on new cars. It is no wonder that there are not many of these cars left. They either rotted from the inside or the outside. Or became too much to try to fix because of the resulting electrical issues.
And, so, here is our forum. A place where Riviera owners come to find answers to their Riviera
questions.
And MY question now is, what now?
I am no stranger to "figuring things out".
IMHO, the factory service manuals were written for the in-factory technician without any regard for "real world" problems arising on these cars.
Case in point: what is the correct procedure to correct a no start situation after a heavy rain?
Or, why don't the seats move when the switch is pressed?
Or even, why do my dash lights go off and on?
Yes, it sounds like I am complaining. Not because I bought a car that is going by the wayside due to, oh, I don't know, maybe turning to shit by the minute, but maybe because of the lack of support by this forum. Oops! Did I say something wrong?
Maybe it is the way the service manuals are written.
Twenty-five years in the automotive service industry has taught me proper test techniques and procedures. I KNOW how to fix things. When I have the time, I will tell you how I fixed my car.
Maybe.

Sorry about the rant. You ALL know what I am talking about.
The no-start after rain is unique to your car.
Can't say about the seats. You posted that they were not working (https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t11879-no-seat-movement#189575) and you asked where the fuse is. I posted it's a thermal breaker under the back seat.

Did you check it?

No.

Had you checked it, you could easily narrow down the problem; the seat wiring is not that long and not that hidden. If the thermal breaker is hot, you have a short somewhere that should be findable by checking under the seat, to start. Most likely a wire pinched in the seat tracks, I'd guess. If the thermal breaker is cold, you're looking for an open circuit; I'd guess a broken wire, again under the seat.

popcorn

You obviously know far more than you are letting on, and my suggestions are so weak that you blew them off.. so yes, I think I'll just watch and see what I can learn from you so I can take better care of my Riviera. And I realize it might be a very long wait.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No start after stripping paint off at the carwash   No start after stripping paint off at the carwash Empty

Back to top Go down

No start after stripping paint off at the carwash
Page 1 of 1