Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OEM Air Compressor for shocks?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

OEM Air Compressor for shocks? Empty
PostSubject: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

I just ordered a new OEM one from a GM seller online. I just
received it. However, there is no dryer attached. My question is "Isn't it supposed to come with the dryer?" If not, how do I get a new dryer?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 11:51 am

RivieraRyan wrote:
I just ordered a new OEM one from a GM seller online. I just
received it. However, there is no dryer attached. My question is "Isn't it supposed to come with the dryer?" If not, how do I get a new dryer?

Sometimes, especially on older GM models, the ALC compressor does not come with a dryer on it. I've had to transfer over many-a-dryer when replacing compressors. It actually should've come with new O-rings to transfer the old dryer over. All the dryer has in it is desiccant. As long as it isn't full of water, it should still be ok to use.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Hey Abaddon - is there a way to get the dryer open? If so you can dry out the dessicant (which will be silica beads) by dumping them in a glass dish or tray and baking them until the moisture is out. Did this with the dryer on my Lincoln, worked fine, but I don't remember if the temp was 250 or 275 F - something like that. Turns out the beads turn blue or orange when they are dried out, in that application, depending on who made them; turns out also you can buy them in bulk on Amazon - see https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Indicating-Silica-Desiccant-Replacement/dp/B00BXKBOYM.

Theoretically you could open the dryer, replace the beads, then hot glue it back together. The Lincoln dryer can be opened with some effort but I forget exactly how. Dunno about the GM dryer. You ever mess with one?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I've never taken one apart, no. It's molded together with no physical way of getting it apart. I've been able to dump some of the crap out, but there's a baffle of some sort in it to keep it in the dryer on the GM assemblies.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 11:37 am

Abaddon wrote:
I've never taken one apart, no. It's molded together with no physical way of getting it apart. I've been able to dump some of the crap out, but there's a baffle of some sort in it to keep it in the dryer on the GM assemblies.

so much for that...
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 11:10 am

So the dealer gave me the part# for the dryer which I was able to order. They put in the new ALC and shocks in last week and the ride is noticeably higher and smoother than it was. However, there is a squeak on the left rear whenever I go over almost any bump or dip in the road. I did not have the squeak prior to the repairs. I spoke to the service department guy who spoke to the tech who worked on my car and he said "Sometimes a squeak occurs upon installation of new shocks because you have to break them in". So the service guy said drive it for a week and if it's still squeaking and it bothers me bring it back. If I didn't have a squeak before and the right side doesn't squeak, doesn't that mean something wasn't properly done on the install of the left one?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 9:00 am

RivieraRyan wrote:
So the dealer gave me the part# for the dryer which I was able to order. They put in the new ALC and shocks in last week and the ride is noticeably higher and smoother than it was. However, there is a squeak on the left rear whenever I go over almost any bump or dip in the road. I did not have the squeak prior to the repairs. I spoke to the service department guy who spoke to the tech who worked on my car and he said "Sometimes a squeak occurs upon installation of new shocks because you have to break them in". So the service guy said drive it for a week and if it's still squeaking and it bothers me bring it back. If I didn't have a squeak before and the right side doesn't squeak, doesn't that mean something wasn't properly done on the install of the left one?

No.

That said, the rear shocks are so easy to replace, if you're flexible enough and you can get the bottom speednuts off (you might need to break/replace them, in many cases they are too corroded to reuse) you don't even need to jack up the car to do it, although you should.

I would give it 1-2 weeks. Replacing the shocks at that time, if warranted, is not a big deal for them or you. Monroe replacements are less than $60 pair, plus shipping, from RockAuto.com for instance. I have had Monroes, originals (the ones Delco now sells are not the originals) and currently KYBs. The KYBs have been the best so far both in terms of longevity and ride control, a little stiffer than the Monroes or the OEs actually.

About that dryer - the system passes the "dried" air from the shocks back thru the desiccant when it bleeds air out after you park. If I were you I'd go with what Abaddon says.

That said - over time the dryer should saturate enough with moisture to need to be replaced, but I really don't know when that might be. The only way to really tell is that the silica beads they use are usually wither blue or orange in color, they lose their color with moisture and regain it somewhat when re-dried -- so you can look at the beads and see if they are or are not saturated. The more pale they are, the wetter. However, there are clear (translucent) silica beads available for these dryers as well. Can't tell about those by looking.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 6:37 pm

So will the squeak go away eventually? It annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 12:15 pm

RivieraRyan wrote:

Probably not. A squeak is usually because something is out of tolerance specs, which causes movement, which in turn causes a squeak. Or, an O-ring or bushing is dried up and hardened causing the same thing. Either way, squeaks don't generally go away. It MAY go away at a certain temperature, but will come right back under the "right" circumstances.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? EmptyWed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Abaddon wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

Probably not. A squeak is usually because something is out of tolerance specs, which causes movement, which in turn causes a squeak. Or, an O-ring or bushing is dried up and hardened causing the same thing. Either way, squeaks don't generally go away. It MAY go away at a certain temperature, but will come right back under the "right" circumstances.

Again, replacing is not that big a deal;   Monroe replacements are less than $60 pair, plus shipping, from RockAuto.com for instance. I have had Monroes, originals (the ones Delco now sells are not the originals) and currently KYBs. The KYBs have been the best so far both in terms of longevity and ride control, a little stiffer than the Monroes or the OEs actually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OEM Air Compressor for shocks?   OEM Air Compressor for shocks? Empty

Back to top Go down

OEM Air Compressor for shocks?
Page 1 of 1