Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

need steering wheel, please help!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

need steering wheel, please help! Empty
PostSubject: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 7:00 am

So dig this, I take my Riv to the Buick dealership to get a wiper switch replaced. Upon fixing it, the technician broke the locking plate  that connects to the column. They inform me that I now need a new steering wheel and column and they can't find the part because its discontinued so they game the part#16758888 to see if I could find one somewhere. Should I have to pay for this and where can I even find it? BTW, the Riv is inoperable now.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 7:26 am

RivieraRyan wrote:
So dig this, I take my Riv to the Buick dealership to get a wiper switch replaced. Upon fixing it, the technician broke the locking plate  that connects to the column. They inform me that I now need a new steering wheel and column and they can't find the part because its discontinued so they game the part#16758888 to see if I could find one somewhere. Should I have to pay for this and where can I even find it? BTW, the Riv is inoperable now.

I have a steering wheel to sell you (I have 2 spares don't ask why), but you likely will want to respray it (ask at the dealers body shop) primer gray then the right color to match your Riv interior. You will also want a new leather Wheelskin for the leather part (not expensive, see http://wheelskins.com/, but you will need to phone them not just get it off the web site due to color) I do not have a column to sell you but your dealer can get one from row52.com or some such.

Should you have to pay? I doubt it, heck I just had my multifunction switch replaced at a local dealer a few weeks ago with no incident at all.

Also see: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6471p225-faq-steering-column-slop-problems-replacement - be sure the tilt mechanism in the replacement is OK.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 am

Um....how on earth does one break the column doing a wiper switch? NO, you should not have to pay for that. They broke it. First, call the General Manager. If that doesn't work, find the owner. If that still doesn't work, get a lawyer. You need to raise hell. Garbage ass shop if they won't take responsibility for it. I'm serious. Raise fucking hell. THEY NEED TO FIX IT. Not you.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 am

And this is a Buick Dealership? Go over their head and complain up the chain. Write a letter as well. They will fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 12:09 pm

When I had my Riv in for service a few years ago at the local Buick/GMC dealer, I also had them replace the very well worn multi function switch with an NOS one I got on eBay for $50. Suurrrrrrre looked nice! When I went back to get the car, as soon as I readjusted the tilt I knew they had F'd things up. It really was not in operable condition, yet "they" had taken my money and given me the keys.

I had to go to the service manager... and I'd been a customer of theirs for many years. He was NOT happy with the mechanic who'd done the work. Turns out that pot metal bracket and pins that wear and result in our steering wheel slop, supposedly fell apart when he did the switch swap. I had doubts, since there was really very little slop in it beforehand. I made it very clear that I expected them to source and replace the column at no cost to me, as the car was perfectly driveable when I left it with them, and totally not operational after. He agreed, they found a Park Avenue column at a regional salvage yard, and covered the $200 for parts plus labor to replace it. I was out the car for 2 days, but they gave me a free loaner.

So yeah, I agree, THEY need to fix it on their dime, no 2 ways about it.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

You know what's crazy? I half-think they are trying to scheme me for my car because I received a letter in the mail from them on 2 separate occasions from this dealership stating that my 98 Riv is one of the cars they are looking to buy (too bad for them its not for sale). Also, last time when I left after getting an alignment (not because I needed it, but they had a coupon and I hadn't had one in a while) I noticed whenever I hit 55+ mph my steering wheel vibrates and the ride gets bumpy. I noticed this not too long after I left  last time , but didn't say anything because I'd been there all day, I knew I'd be back soon for the wiper switch, and also figured it may have been because I have one lone 235 tire while the rest are 225 and it was in th back, but after the tire rotation they put it in the front. I mention this when I drop the car off for the wiper switch and he informs me that's because I need a tire balance, not my tire width difference. My problem is, I never had a issue until they did the alignment. Also, they replaced my serpentine belt, and when it was finally done the guy tells me that the technician broke a mount when putting it back together and they were gonna send me home in an enterprise if they couldn't fix it before they close, but they were able to fix it before closing. And on top of that someone on the staff always makes a remark about how they don't see Rivs anymore, how they used to own one and wished they still had it, or never had one but always wanted one.

Sorry for all the long story. I guess I'm just venting, but am I crazy or are they plotting on my baby?
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 1:19 am

Albert what color are the steering wheels? I need tan.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 am

RivieraRyan wrote:
You know what's crazy? I half-think they are trying to scheme me for my car because I received a letter in the mail from them on 2 separate occasions from this dealership stating that my 98 Riv is one of the cars they are looking to buy (too bad for them its not for sale). Also, last time when I left after getting an alignment (not because I needed it, but they had a coupon and I hadn't had one in a while) I noticed whenever I hit 55+ mph my steering wheel vibrates and the ride gets bumpy. I noticed this not too long after I left  last time , but didn't say anything because I'd been there all day, I knew I'd be back soon for the wiper switch, and also figured it may have been because I have one lone 235 tire while the rest are 225 and it was in th back, but after the tire rotation they put it in the front. I mention this when I drop the car off for the wiper switch and he informs me that's because I need a tire balance, not my tire width difference. My problem is, I never had a issue until they did the alignment. Also, they replaced my serpentine belt, and when it was finally done the guy tells me that the technician broke a mount when putting it back together and they were gonna send me home in an enterprise if they couldn't fix it before they close, but they were able to fix it before closing. And on top of that someone on the staff always makes a remark about how they don't see Rivs anymore, how they used to own one and wished they still had it, or never had one but always wanted one.

Sorry for all the long story. I guess I'm just venting, but am I crazy or are they plotting on my baby?

They're not really plotting on your baby and you're not crazy.

First: you need, however, to find a trustworthy independent mechanic and second, you need to get your own factory service manual (FSM) set so that you can see when various things you could fix yourself instead of going to the dealer or a mechanic.

Third, you need to get rid of that lone 235 tire. NOW. With all the power from the Riv you really need to roll on 4 tires that match not only in size but also in tread pattern. You might be able to get good used tires thru a junkyard that grades them and sells them; what's more, someone in your area should be buying/selling used tires and if not you can get them thru a number of places. One of the larger ones that also ships nationwide is https://champtirespittsburgh.com/.

Fourth: that letter about buying your car, if you look carefully it's a form letter. Many new car dealers belong to marketing groups that organize sales campaigns for cars and the car buying letter is a popular lead-generation tool. Here is some perspective: http://boomerandecho.com/car-dealer-want-buy-back-car/#. The points are (1) the deal held out to you in the letter is probably not all that good (2) by definition the dealer wants the car of anyone who'll buy another one on the dealer's terms, if only because the dealer will hold back enough money to come out ahead on the deal, on the whole - whether or not it's the personal You makes no difference. It's a business. As for the remarks from dealer personnel about the Riv, just have some class: say Thank You and smile then immediately shut up and keep walking.

Fifth: Don't have an alignment done unless you have evidence of an alignment problem as shown by abnormal tire wear or the inability to track straight. When you need an alignment, odds are the real problem is the suspension bushings are worn or some such. It can be hard to tell, and one reason for cars being alignable is to compensate for that bushing wear rather than replacing bushings every 25,000 miles or whatever. Problem is, bushing wear accelerates with age (they will wack out more from 40,000 to 60,000 miles than they did from 0 to 40,000, generally). When the bushing wear starts to accelerate, you can align a car over and over and over and over again more frequently as the bushings continue to wear. Get off the merry-go-round and just fix the effing bushings. As for your current 55+ vibratoin problem it could be as simple as they did not remount the wheel correctly on the hub. You're supposed to pull and clean behind the rotor hats each time, and if you don't odds are the assembly will vibrate when you put it back together and are rolling again.

Sixth: as for that broken engine mount, from '97 GM used a revised engine mount on the 3800 that you did not have to remove to change the belts; you could remove a bolt and ferrule (but you really should clean the engine first). Odds are the tech had not seen that sort of mount before and thought he busted it when the pieces fell out as he removed the bolt, or could not get the bolts to line up or some such, not surprising if you get down in there and look at it. Or maybe he actually did break the mount and had to get a junkyard replacement. If you are at a new car dealer there is a chance the tech has neither trained on nor worked on a Riviera or other late '90's GM car with the 3800 engine. Which leaves room for a whole lot of Oops.

The upshot of the above is: catch up on the maintenance including the tires, it will be mad cheaper in the long run.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 5:33 am

So I just got a call from the deal stating that the tech was able to save the part. I guess he mcgyvered it back together. He also said the the tire balance fixed the vibration problem. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for the balance since I I only had the issue after I let them work on the car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need steering wheel, please help!   need steering wheel, please help! Empty

Back to top Go down

need steering wheel, please help!
Page 1 of 1