HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 Windshield Washer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stydel311
Member
avatar

Name : Michael
Location : Watertown, SD
Joined : 2014-11-23
Post Count : 114
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Windshield Washer   Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

Is there a way to disable the automatic spray for the washer fluid and keep it so the wipers still come on when washer fluid is being sprayed? I find it sprays way longer than necessary and it would be nice if it would only spray if you were holding the tab back on the turn signal stalk.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 39
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18279
Merit : 238

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 pm

There's a delay circuit somewhere (I'm not sure where) that holds operation when you activate the momentary switch (on stalk). Maybe someone can provide a schematic diagram to help locate this. Once you find the circuit, it may be possible to bypass it.

Not sure if, after modifying the circuit, the wipers would still return to the resting position on their own, as they currently do. Interesting project.


_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 268k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180Ί t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO • 49k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
stydel311
Member
avatar

Name : Michael
Location : Watertown, SD
Joined : 2014-11-23
Post Count : 114
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 am

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have noticed that when the pump runs dry of washer fluid it will no longer run automatically and will only run as long as the switch is held. I've always assumed this was so the pump didn't run dry for very long. I wonder if this is something that can be used to always make it think the pump is running dry without turning the low fluid light on.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6554
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 pm

stydel311 wrote:
Not sure if it makes a difference but I have noticed that when the pump runs dry of washer fluid it will no longer run automatically and will only run as long as the switch is held.  I've always assumed this was so the pump didn't run dry for very long.  I wonder if this is something that can be used to always make it think the pump is running dry without turning the low fluid light on.

Did you get a factory service manual set yet?
Back to top Go down
stydel311
Member
avatar

Name : Michael
Location : Watertown, SD
Joined : 2014-11-23
Post Count : 114
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:09 pm

No I didn't, previous owner hinted he thought he had a set somewhere but that was 6 months ago. Probably will end up buying a set soon.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6554
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:13 pm

stydel311 wrote:
No I didn't, previous owner hinted he thought he had a set somewhere but that was 6 months ago. Probably will end up buying a set soon.

OK.

I think you will find that you can fool the system into letting you make the wipers momentary by turning on the low fluid warning when the washer is on, with one of those common Bosch or Omron relays. The relay would turn on the warning light whenever the washer was run. Why? b/c I do not think the FSM shows the circuit that controls the washer run interval after the request comes from the multifunction switch. By the way you can get it to run less by holding the washers on for the amount of time you do want them to run, as long as that time is at or above a minimum, I forget what that is but you can play with the wipers/washers to find out.

As for me letting the washers wet the windshield well is cheap insurance against dry wipes and the concomitant hazing. I would still have my original Riv windshield if it had not taken a rock, the glass was OK even after 16 years of whatever and I chalk that up in part to the washers wet things well enough before they engaged the wipers.
Back to top Go down
stydel311
Member
avatar

Name : Michael
Location : Watertown, SD
Joined : 2014-11-23
Post Count : 114
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm

albertj wrote:

stydel311 wrote:
No I didn't, previous owner hinted he thought he had a set somewhere but that was 6 months ago. Probably will end up buying a set soon.


OK.

I think you will find that you can fool the system into letting you make the wipers momentary by turning on the low fluid warning when the washer is on, with one of those common Bosch or Omron relays.  The relay would turn on the warning light whenever the washer was run. Why?  b/c I do not think the FSM shows the circuit that controls the washer run interval after the request comes from the multifunction switch.   By the way you can get it to run less by holding the washers on for the amount of time you do want them to run, as long as that time is at or above a minimum, I forget what that is but you can play with the wipers/washers to find out.

As for me letting the washers wet the windshield well is cheap insurance against dry wipes and the concomitant hazing.  I would still have my original Riv windshield if it had not taken a rock, the glass was OK even after 16 years of whatever and I chalk that up in part to the washers wet things well enough before they engaged the wipers.
I ordered a factory service manual set on ebay this afternoon for $50 with free shipping so that'll help. I'll have to try messing with holding it for a short time to try and get less. It would be nice if pushing the tab on the stalk forward like most do was automatic and pulling it back towards you would be momentary.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6554
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Washer   Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm

stydel311 wrote:

albertj wrote:


stydel311 wrote:
No I didn't, previous owner hinted he thought he had a set somewhere but that was 6 months ago. Probably will end up buying a set soon.



OK.

I think you will find that you can fool the system into letting you make the wipers momentary by turning on the low fluid warning when the washer is on, with one of those common Bosch or Omron relays.  The relay would turn on the warning light whenever the washer was run. Why?  b/c I do not think the FSM shows the circuit that controls the washer run interval after the request comes from the multifunction switch.   By the way you can get it to run less by holding the washers on for the amount of time you do want them to run, as long as that time is at or above a minimum, I forget what that is but you can play with the wipers/washers to find out.

As for me letting the washers wet the windshield well is cheap insurance against dry wipes and the concomitant hazing.  I would still have my original Riv windshield if it had not taken a rock, the glass was OK even after 16 years of whatever and I chalk that up in part to the washers wet things well enough before they engaged the wipers.

...with the FSM in hand I imagine you'll figure out whether you even need a relay and how to do the timer defeat, soon enough.

Albertj


I ordered a factory service manual set on ebay this afternoon for $50 with free shipping so that'll help.  I'll have to try messing with holding it for a short time to try and get less.  It would be nice if pushing the tab on the stalk forward like most do was automatic and pulling it back towards you would be momentary.
Back to top Go down
 
Windshield Washer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 64-66 Windshield Washer Nozzle Assembly Kit
» windshield washer pump wiring--need help
» 64 Econoline Windshield Washer system
» Windshield Washer Fluid Bag with Foot Pump
» Windshield washer pump wiring ?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: