Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Strange Ignition Coil Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
haywardwilliamc@gmail.com
Special

Name : Bill Hayward
Merit : 0

Strange Ignition Coil Question Empty
PostSubject: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question EmptyMon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello--this one is a bit odd, hoping someone might have some insights. Last December I had my plugs, wires, and coils changed out on my '95 Riv 3800 SC, after a misfire under load was detected that was causing lurching and jumping at times when going up hill under light throttle (but the check engine light was never triggered). The tune-up cleared it up and she was running like a charm until about a week ago, when I started getting the up-hill lurching issue again (but much less frequently than before). Figured there might have already been a failure somewhere among the new wires or coils. But just yesterday when I went underhood and looked at the coils, I noticed dead bug body parts wedged between the coil-side boot of one of the ignition wires and a post of one of the coil pairs. So I popped that boot off the coil and cleared the bug parts out. Since I did that, the car seems to start much more briskly, and the engine seems to run a lot smoother and the trans seems nice and crisp in its shifts, and no sign thus far of the intermittent uphill lurching. So my question to the hivemind is: could dead bug parts be enough to divert some of the coil's current and cause intermittent misfires? Has anyone every heard of anything like this? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part? Right now I'm taking a "watchful waiting" approach over the next couple of days to see if there's any sign of the misfires returning.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question EmptyMon May 15, 2017 3:17 pm

My guess is the new wire boot in question wasn't seated all the way on, or otherwise wasn't making good connection. Popping the boot off and on fixed the issue (bug parts or not).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question EmptyTue May 16, 2017 1:08 pm

haywardwilliamc@gmail.com wrote:
Hello--this one is a bit odd, hoping someone might have some insights. Last December I had my plugs, wires, and coils changed out on my '95 Riv 3800 SC, after a misfire under load was detected that was causing lurching and jumping at times when going up hill under light throttle (but the check engine light was never triggered). The tune-up cleared it up and she was running like a charm until about a week ago, when I started getting the up-hill lurching issue again (but much less frequently than before). Figured there might have already been a failure somewhere among the new wires or coils. But just yesterday when I went underhood and looked at the coils, I noticed dead bug body parts wedged between the coil-side boot of one of the ignition wires and a post of one of the coil pairs. So I popped that boot off the coil and cleared the bug parts out. Since I did that, the car seems to start much more briskly, and the engine seems to run a lot smoother and the trans seems nice and crisp in its shifts, and no sign thus far of the intermittent uphill lurching. So my question to the hivemind is: could dead bug parts be enough to divert some of the coil's current and cause intermittent misfires? Has anyone every heard of anything like this? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part? Right now I'm taking a "watchful waiting" approach over the next couple of days to see if there's any sign of the misfires returning.

Was the bug burned?
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question EmptyThu May 18, 2017 7:40 am

Anything that can prohibit full contact should be considered an option.

Most recently I have detected that the top of my coil boots do not seal tightly. Moisture gets in and fouls the contacts resulting in misfire. I'm hoping dielectric grease top and bottom helps with seal.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question EmptyThu May 18, 2017 8:34 am

IFallsRon wrote:
Anything that can prohibit full contact should be considered an option.

Most recently I have detected that the top of my coil boots do not seal tightly. Moisture gets in and fouls the contacts resulting in misfire. I'm hoping dielectric grease top and bottom helps with seal.

It will help temporarily but you might want to $ for new boots (if you have Taylor, MSD, Magnecor or other high-spec wires) or new wires. Depends on your $ of indifference and what quality you want. I did a quick check -- Boots, sleeves, pliers and crimpers are available on eBay - prices are all over the place - and Rock Auto is having a 'wholesaler closeout' on wires, they are not giving them away but it's close at less than $10.-/set. Not surprisingly the ACDelco wires are at regular price. United premium wires (apparently the same Delphi Packard wire as OE) are not on closeout but less then $20/set.

Point is, maybe just replace the wires.

Which reminds me, I need to get my Magnecors repaired. Some time ago they started acting up and I put on a new set of OE wires in the interim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Ignition Coil Question   Strange Ignition Coil Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange Ignition Coil Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: