HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
llamalor2112
Junkie

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Hey guys! Yes I'm still around and more importantly, my 95 is still getting whipped around all over the place on a daily basis. wink

However! I just developed this godawful noise somewhere in the belt drive and am having a hell of a time chasing it down, even with a stethoscope!

Worth noting is that every, EVERY, pump and pulley on here has been replaced somewhere within the last 30k miles or so. Even my harmonic balancer... Which almost sounds like where this noise is coming from...  confused

It gets audibly louder from beneath the engine than above and does NOT disappear with increased rpm.

Side note, I just lost nearly the entire overflows worth of coolant suddenly this last week. (not on the ground nor in the oil so I'm a bit confused...but relieved)
It nearly makes me suspect the water pump...

Any thoughts? Inklings? Ideas??

Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound   Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

You sure the accessory belt is routed correctly? I think I see an empty idler pulley.

Other than that, I'd consider running the car for a few seconds (30 seconds) with each belt removed - One on, one off, both off - to isolate the clack to one or another belt train (if it is a belt and not a coincidence). I'd also check plastic pullies for cracking (very very rare) and pulley bearings for any binding/grinding. Do not mistake a sleeved bearing (which does not spin free even when new) with a binding problem. If in doubt, replace, they are not that much $, however be sure not to buy crap pullies. If one fails the flailing belt will tear up your hood liner and the hood liners are unobtainium.

Let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert

Name : Matthew
Merit : 99

PostSubject: Re: Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound   Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:26 pm

What brand balancer did you get? If its anything other than an AcDelco id seriously look it over for cracks. Had an autozone one break at the metal hub 6mo after installing it. Thread is in here somewhere of my woes.

Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound   Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:32 pm

I listened again. That does sound like the 'marbles in a can' of a water pump going bad. Still, slip the belts off and turn the pullies first. If it's the WP you'll know when you turn that pulley.
Back to top Go down

Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1